•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LXD75 T-Adapter question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:51 AM

the Meade LXD75 SN has standard threads on the focuser to srew on a T-RING for photography. However, in doing so you can not rotate the camera without changing focus, and also this makes the camera loose. Does anyone know of a cheap T-ADAPTER that screws on the standard threads of the Meade LXD75 SNs and allows the mounted T-RINg to be rotated and locked?

thanks!

CF

#2 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:21 PM

CF,

I don't know of what you speak but there are 2 alternatives I can think of.

The T-ring is usually held together by 3 small screws. Loosening one or 2 of these slightly should allow the outer ring to rotate separate of the camera mount. Frame your shot and than tighten the screws.

The other choice is why not use a basic camera adapter such as one of these...

Meade

AP

I have used the AP unit when I had my VC200L. The adapter is a piece of machining wonder. Loosen a setscrew, frame the shot and tighten down. Nice part about it is it's a full aperture piece so little to no vignetting.

HTH'd

#3 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:51 PM

The Meade one I already own.. but the I do not want that projection tube. Also, this is a 1 1/4" eyepiece size, which again reduced the field of view when I want to shoot wide field, prime focus shots.

What I am using, is just the T-Ring part, which as you stated correctly has the three screws that allow it to be ratated. But these screws are tiny, and I am trying to find an easier way such as a thumb screw.

The AP unit you show also has a long barrel, and may cause some vignetting on my fast f/4 system at prime focus. I need something short, as I shoot film, and want to cover the whole 35mm frame with as much FOV as possible.

What I really could use is a T-Ring with THUMB screws!

Or just wait until I replace my focuser with a JMI unit that has the rotating T-Ring adapter built in.

CF

#4 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

CF,

The AP unit is basically a T-Ring with a barrel attached if I remember correctly. Would this really create an issue with your setup? I ask as I am contemplating the purchase of a 10" SN and am curious about such issues.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

#5 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:18 PM

Well, for 35mm film, yes.
The barrel will reduce the image field of view.
You'll be vignetted - and when you attach the camera right on the focuser with no barrel, you get the whole swatch on the film - from edge to edge... a HUGE view! Which is what I enjoy most!

Take a look at the field of view on this shot... This would not be possible through an extension.

CF

Meade LXD75 8" f/4 SN
40 minutes hand guided on Fujichrome 400F Provia

Attached Thumbnails

• 632906-M31--New-2a.jpg

#6 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:39 PM

what about a 2" eyepiece to t-ring adapter scopestudd should have somehing like that.

#7 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

My T-Adaptor (for the EOS) has those three tiny socket-head screws. I see no reason they couldn't be tapped out and replaced with thumbscrews. BTW, on mine, the inner ring is grooved, so the tightened adaptor should retain its focus even after being rotated.

#8 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:59 PM

My T-Adaptor (for the EOS) has those three tiny socket-head screws. I see no reason they couldn't be tapped out and replaced with thumbscrews. BTW, on mine, the inner ring is grooved, so the tightened adaptor should retain its focus even after being rotated.

Thank you for saying what I was trying to say Rusty. :foreheadslap: You did a better job than I did :crazy:

#9 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:35 PM

Thanks guys. Hey SouthMike, I think this may work, from Scopestuff...

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_tadpt.htm

The #TA2P which slides in the 2" eyepiece holder, and then has the T-Ring threads for my T-Ring. It's low, and I can use the 2" eyepiece holder thumb screws to allow the whole thing to be rotated..

Anyone else think this may do the trick?

CF

#10 stevie

stevie

Spiderman

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:04 AM

that's the one i have CF, and it might work with your scope with minimum vignetting

#11 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:28 AM

I think it will move your camera too far out to allow focusing to infinity, but there's only one way to find out. I wonder if Scopestuff will allow you to return it if it doesn't work out? Let us know how it turns out, as I'm in the same boat as you.

#12 stevie

stevie

Spiderman

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:32 AM

Darrell has a point
what about this one
lowest profile i can think of

#13 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:04 PM

Stephane's adapter looks better, but I'm concerned about the standard Meade 2" adapter adding a full 1/4" outfocus to the focuser. Maybe a machine shop could take some metal off the inner step and the outer face of the Meade 2" adapter?

#14 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:34 AM

Once the T-ring is adjusted and the nuts that hold it in the correct position are tightened, so that the camera is in a level position, why would you need to mess with the set-screws? I guess you might want a second T-ring adjusted for vertical, rather than horizontal shooting, but otherwise I never need to mess with the set screws. Perhaps I am not understanding the issue.

#15 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:28 PM

Once the T-ring is adjusted and the nuts that hold it in the correct position are tightened, so that the camera is in a level position, why would you need to mess with the set-screws? I guess you might want a second T-ring adjusted for vertical, rather than horizontal shooting, but otherwise I never need to mess with the set screws. Perhaps I am not understanding the issue.

Celestial objects aren't level. When you frame M31, for instance, you want it to span your frame diagonally, so you can get the edges in. If your t-adapter position has it framed any other way, you want to rotate the camera, and that's where CF's question comes in.

#16 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:53 PM

With the 2 inch T adapter I use, I can tilt it any way I like.

#17 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:33 PM

That's it! You see, I do not have a 2" T-Adapter. I have a 1 1/4" one, but it causes vignetting so I have been using just a T-Ring screwed onto my focuser. I have a 2" eyepiece holder on my scope, so I just need a decent T-Adapter which slides into the 2" focuser and is secured with thumb screws. This will allow me to rotate the camera. As it is NOW, I have no way to rotate the camera since it is being screwed on directly to the focuser. While I can use those tiny set screws on the T-ring, they are to awkward to use at 2:30 AM in the freezing cold!

CF

#18 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:52 PM

CF:

yep! All you need, it appears to me, is a standard 2" T-adapter. I got mine from http://www.scopestuff.com
sold under Antares brand name. Works great. Here is a photo.

Attached Thumbnails

• 635531-camera t adapter2.JPG

#19 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 October 2005 - 08:16 PM

Perfect! Thanks!!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics