•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

sold RV6

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 djeber2

djeber2

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

Well, I sold my Criterion RV6. As you can see in my signature line, I have 2 other classic scopes that I am keeping. Selling the RV6 was a win-win as it frees up some storage space and provides some funds for other astro purchases, and puts the RV6 in the hands of someone who wants it a lot more than me at this point.

#2 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:32 AM

I gave mine to my friends' 11-year old, while I was in college. I'm sure it's still working fine! Long live Dynascopes!

But ah, that Unitron 4" Photo-Equatorial sure looks nice...

-drl

#3 Averted

Averted

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:07 AM

Well, wouldn't you know it, but I just bought an RV-6! It arrived yesterday in a crate. It was my first scope (when I was 11 or 12?), and I just found one by another person on A-Mart. with some help i did a Ronchi test and knife edge test on the mirror--looks to have superb optics (not a real challenge for 6" f/8). I admit it was a sentimintal purchase, but i have taken interest in these instruments (like your Unitron) that were at the vanuard of affordable scopes for amatuer astronomers.

Now if I just had another closet for it.....

#4 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:33 AM

One of these days, I WILL own a 4" Unitron Photo-Equatorial with Unihex and guide scope and weight-driven clock drive...

-drl

#5 trainsktg

trainsktg

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:44 AM

One of these days, I WILL own a 4" Unitron Photo-Equatorial with Unihex and guide scope and weight-driven clock drive...

-drl

Home equity loans are showing some amazing rates these days... :grin:

#6 John Jarosz

John Jarosz

Astro Gearhead

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:08 AM

One of these days, I WILL own a 4" Unitron Photo-Equatorial with Unihex and guide scope and weight-driven clock drive...-drl

You also forgot to add the sheet film astro camera... :grin:

John

#7 FAB

FAB

Stargeezer

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:24 PM

I gave my RV6, I purchased in the early 1960s, to my youngest son about nine years ago. He's 43 now, about the same age as the RV6. Both son and scope are still going strong. They were fine instruments, the RV6s not necessarily the son, but he's ok too. He's just not polished to 1/8 wave of sodium light.
FAB :grin:

#8 ForgottenMObject

ForgottenMObject

Soyuz

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:07 PM

Hehehehe... Good one, Floie!

Are your kids diffraction limited? If not, we can help! and so on... Hehehehe...

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:11 PM

I have recently picked up two RV-6s advertised locally, the first one was a pretty good deal, the second was $40 (!!) and in very good condition. The first one I am keeping, the second is waiting for a friend.

I am pretty amazed with the optics, nice and sharp. My nephew says: "The views are so clear." A fellow RV-6 owner described it this way "Sometimes its hard to believe it is only a 6 inch scope you are looking through."

jon

#10 trainsktg

trainsktg

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:46 PM

the second was $40 (!!) and in very good condition.

Locals in yer neck of the woods must not be too bright...I think I need to move there. :grin: My Dad runs into these deals all of the time too...burns me up. :mad:

Keith

#11 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:47 AM

I also had one of these and asked someone on A-mart if they would ship it to me. it was a lose-lose situation. I really want one of those bad because it also has sentimental value to me.
It was the first telescope that I used to track venus after the sun came up, and that view will forever be etched into my mind!!!!...the optics in those telescopes are simply AMAZING !!!!!!!!!....Here's a pic of mine from 1986. :bawling:
-------------------
Mark
12" Sky mentor / GSO Reflector
27mm Pan, (on the way)
14mm Series 4000 UWA, (on the way)
Speers Waler 5-8mm Zoom
2" GSO Barlow

Attached Thumbnails

• 646942-DYNASCOPE 6 INCH.JPG

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:51 AM

>>>

the second was $40 (!!) and in very good condition.

Locals in yer neck of the woods must not be too bright...I think I need to move there. :grin: My Dad runs into these deals all of the time too...burns me up. :mad:

Keith

------

A couple of problems with the plan to move here...

1. Rent for a 3-4 bedroom house is around $2000/month.

2. No chance at getting a deal on a scope because you'd have to beat me to it... :D

Jon

#13 trainsktg

trainsktg

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:52 AM

Jon,
Actually I used to live in O.B., so I know the streets. It might be a more even race than you might think. :evillaugh:
Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics