•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Moon size different?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 February 2004 - 11:56 PM

How come when I take a picture of the moon from my digital camera through my telescope it looks smaller in the picture than it does in the telescope?

#2 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 February 2004 - 12:12 AM

There are a lot of variables here, and depending on what exactly you are talking about, the explanation might be a little more of this and less of that or the other way around. Assuming it isn't "zoomed" and we're talking about afocal photography using the same eyepieces as would be used visually, I should point out that the size of a digital picture is determined by the resolution of the photo and the resolution of the display. Perhaps if you change your monitor to 640x480 resolution and put your eye 6" from the screen you might have a different impression than you do at 1400x1050 with your eye 2 feet away. That at least touches on a few of the variables on one side of the equation.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics