•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Identifing 8mm Clave Paris Plossl

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Torgamesh

Torgamesh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

I Just acquired a Clave Paris 8mm Plossl. Can anyone identify what generation it is? I hope the attached pictures express this, the lens has a slight purple tint to it. The barrel is not threaded for filters and there is no lettering on the side/rim of the eyepiece.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5931631-pic4.jpeg

#2 Torgamesh

Torgamesh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Still trying to figure out more about this eyepiece. I have uploaded another image.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5937617-pic3.jpeg

#3 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'll take a stab at it. If the coatings were blue, and the body were all chrome, it would indicate that this would be an example of a Gen 2 Clave. The optic body of your example is black and chrome which are Gen 3 or later and you mention that the coating is purple-ish, which may be an interpretation of "salmon". So that would date it to the 1980's. Powder coated barrels are all Clave ep's and not Kinoptic. I believe the Kinoptics which came a bit later had black interior barrels, this doesn't so my best guess is a Pre-Kino ep for the 1980's. Gen 3 but most likely Gen 4.

#4 BillP

BillP

Hubble

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Take a long read of this thread. At some post way down Bill Rose discusses the various generations. Thread.

#5 Torgamesh

Torgamesh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

I took a long read of that thread. After studying the descriptions and pictures (under magnification), I am pretty sure its a 3rd generation. I recently acquired a vintage 8mm RKE and a late model 8mm TeleVue Plossl. I am hoping to do some comparisons on Saturn. Although I am going to have to wait a while for my paramour (Jupiter) to become viewable. Thanks for the help guyz!

#6 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

With all due respect to the contributors of the referenced thread, for the record, I've been told by an absolute Clave expert that what is labeled as Gen 1 in that thread is actually Gen 2. Gen 2's were produced from the 1960's to the late 1970's. The example labeled Gen 2 is actually a Gen 3 with a 27mm barrel. So, you can place yours accordingly.

#7 Torgamesh

Torgamesh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

With all due respect to the contributors of the referenced thread, for the record, I've been told by an absolute Clave expert that what is labeled as Gen 1 in that thread is actually Gen 2. Gen 2's were produced from the 1960's to the late 1970's. The example labeled Gen 2 is actually a Gen 3 with a 27mm barrel. So, you can place yours accordingly.

Thanks for the clarification. As long as it’s a 1980ish Clave Plossl I am happy. On a side note what would be a good purchase price for these Plossls be in case I get another chance to purchase more?

#8 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

I've noticed a sharp rise in pricing over the past 12 months. Last year, you could find them in the $225 - $275 range easily. Now, they are going for about $300 - $325 and sometimes more. The larger fl's and indeed the two inch barrel versions are going in the $400- $600 range and higher - especially for the largest fl's up to 75mm. You can often find 27mm barrels used in Europe so be careful when purchasing. You will need an adapter for that size to bring it to 1.25". It's about the coatings with these, be sure to check and verify condition of the optics.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics