•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Replace Diagonal on Celestron Nexstar 11?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 jakilime

jakilime

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:52 PM

If I replace the star diagonal supplied with the telescope with a more expensive one, for instance a Tele Vue Everbright or equivalent, would it be worth it in terms of increased optical performance?

#2 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

Posted 09 February 2004 - 02:00 PM

I think so. I replace mine with a William Optics 2" diagonal. It's much cheaper and the performance is nearly the same as the much more expensive TV version. Go to some of the other groups and you'll see similar advice.

#3 techmgr

techmgr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2004 - 07:09 PM

I agree. I replaced the 1 1/4" Celestron diagonal with a WO 2" and I also have a 2" TV Everbright. I don't see a huge difference between these two for most objects, but the increase in size over the oe diagonal does make a noticeable improvement. I'm using an AP adapter on the back of the tube to connect the 2" diagonals.

#4 jakilime

jakilime

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 February 2004 - 12:00 AM

Thank you for your replies. I think I will look into the Williams diagonal.

Clear skies, JW

#5 jakilime

jakilime

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 February 2004 - 01:09 PM

Do you have to purchase a new visual back to connect to the 2" diagonal?

#6 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

Posted 10 February 2004 - 04:51 PM

Yes. I recommend the Astrophysics version at around $65. It's beautifully machined and uses a clamp ring. I got mine from Anacortes:

http://www.buytelesc...acturer.asp?m=5

Third item down. Make sure you get the Celestron version. The Meade uses a slightly different thread.

#7 techmgr

techmgr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 February 2004 - 05:40 PM

Depends on the 2" diagonal. William Optics and Televue both make either SCT specific 2" diagonals or adapter tubes that allow the use of regular diagonals. The the SCT diagonals are more expensive. I bought an Astro-Physics adapter (ADASCTLC) that screws on to the 3.25" threads of the N11GPS tube allowing me to use both of my std diagonals (TV and WO). There are other adapaters available as well that will allow full use of the 2" diagonal. I just looked up the cost on the WO diagonals - the std one I have costs $99, and the SCT version costs $130. The TV's are around $300 with the adapter. It looks like Celestron also has a 2" for about $85 that is convertible to use in either an SCT or a refractor.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics