•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Daylight Collimatin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeB 2

MikeB 2

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:00 PM

When doing the daylight collimation recommended at site:
www.mira.org/ascc/pages/lectures/collim.htm

When looking into the front of the OTA from the correct distance, how do you know which adustment screw to turn in order to move the rings in the correct direction?

#2 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:31 PM

Mike-
Can't yet say 'cuz i haven't tried that (yet).
I know i've been really busy... but i think it's finally happening... i'm now seeing myself both coming & going!
:smirk: mike b
p.s. Welcome to CloudyNights, MikeB :question:

#3 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:47 PM

Look at the diagram here . It should help you.

Let us know how it works for you. I did my SCT collimation at night, and it took me hours! The adjustments are very fine (a little bit goes a long way). 1/4 turn will probably be too much when you're starting out. Be sure to use a high magnification eyepiece.

#4 RonS

RonS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

Hey a cool tip for fine tuning collimation in the day time.
It's about the best use for a false star. Put a small ball bearing a good distance from your scope, or if you can find a nice reflection on a power transformer pole, you can do a nice star collimation in the daylight and not have to chase the star. I used to have a ball bearing on the back fence in our yard, I'd put the scope out in the evening as the sun was going down, collimate, then it was dead on and just waiting for me to use after dark.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics