•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CPC 1100 GPS XLT question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 haleymon

haleymon

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:13 AM

Hi all

Is the Celestron CPC 1100 GPS XLT Capable of any astrophotography?

I'm sure advanced photography is not possible becouse of the mount.

The reason I ask is...

I had 1500.00 to spend on a new scope and was going to get a 12" Dob inteliscope. But becouse of VERY good luck and a VERY understanding wife I now have 3200.00 for a new scope

So now im looking to do basic to intermediate astrophotography or at least have the ability to do it.

Also, other then the scope what am I going to need to get started taking pics? Id like to use my laptop and a ccd (I realize that the extra equipment I will have to buy later)

Thank you all very much

#2 Gandalf

Gandalf

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:31 AM

If you can get a wedge for it I dare say it would do a good job.

But most people recommend a substantial GEM mount for advanced astrophotography.

Does not seem to prevent many folks from getting great photos out of their fork-mounted scopes though!

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:34 AM

Hi all

Is the Celestron CPC 1100 GPS XLT Capable of any astrophotography?

I'm sure advanced photography is not possible becouse of the mount.

It depends on what is meant by "advanced". The CPC mount will be in the same performance class as the LX200, LX200GPS, and Nexstar GPS mounts. Lots of very impressive astrophotos have been taken using those mounts when wedge-mounted.

#4 Eddy

Eddy

Apollo

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:52 PM

Hi Dave,
I don't know much about the new CPC series. However, if I were you, I would go for the 9.25 SCT with XLT coatings on the CG5 mount (C9.25SGT). You'll save some money for your CCD camera and the 9.25 SCT is a very good scope for astrophotography. You'll get a GEM, which is good for imaging although the CG5 mount is not the finest out there, but it is a good one for the bucks. I have the C8SGT version and it tracks for about 1 minute without problem (unguided). Ok, I admit that I have to get rid of about 40% of the images due to trailing mainly caused by periodic error, but that is ok. The difference between the C11 CPC and the C9.25SGT is about $1200. So for that money, you can buy a focal reducer, which you are going to need anyway (as well for the C11 as for the C9.25) for imaging. For the remaining, let's say $1000, you can find yourself a nice CCD camera. You can look on Astromart or visit the SAC website, or even the Meade DSI (or PRO). Keep in mind though that CCD imaging is not that easy and the learning curve is very steep. I recently bought the SAC 8.5 (June 2005) and I am still "lost", but it is fun that each time you out there, you are learning something more.
Hope this helps a bit and good luck with your choice,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics