•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Difference between 5" and 8" mak/cass/sct

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jukka Tikkanen

Jukka Tikkanen

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:38 PM

Hello fellow stargazers,

Just pondering would it be worth the money and trouble to upgrade my 5" mak-cass to 8" mak-cass/sct/....
I would like hear from somebody else's experience about the the difference in aperture . How big is the practical gain in aperture?
I would appreciate if somebody could give me some kind of estimates about this.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!

#2 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:45 PM

I can tell you that there's a huge difference between what I can see in my 8" MakNewt as compared to my 6" MakCas. The 8 will resolve many individual stars in M13, whereas the 6 struggles to resolve just a few.

#3 stevie

stevie

Spiderman

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:06 PM

i agree with bierbelly here
image brightness should be obvious too

#4 ezrider23

ezrider23

Apollo

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:00 PM

The prices start rising steeply above 6" of aperture in a mak cas. I think a 8" newt would would do you well on planets especially with a curved spider and flocking, unless money is not an issue.

#5 Sherk

Sherk

Beer connoisseur

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:20 PM

76.2mm more in diameter less the increase in diameter of the secondary plus a lot of $... as usual I'm lost in these computations but as you are considering different styles of optics, perhaps a Tal 200K or Tal 250K might be your solution. And if you can get it in Kaliningrad, the price might be OK.

:question:

Or make that Königsberg for the nostalgics. :roflmao:

#6 HoO-Germany

HoO-Germany

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:41 PM

Hi Tikkis,
I agree with the writers before.
you will become in the 8" Mak-Cass more light to can split some stars more in closed clusters, you will get on planets more details on surfaces and also on planetary nebulas you will see more.

Regards

#7 rszabo

rszabo

Viking 1

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:26 PM

I remember seeing M51 one night through both a 5" sct and my 7" Mak. Through the 5", you could see M51 as a faint smudge. It was visible through the 5", but all I could see was a blurry patch of faint light. Through the 7", you could make out spiral structure and see a fair amount of detail. I think the difference would be even more noticable in a 8" Mak.

However, there is something to be said for the portability of the 5".

#8 Oldfield

Oldfield

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:51 PM

somehow 8" is a magical size, the next step is 12.5".... so the difference is significant if you go from 5" to 8".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics