•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QUESTION: LX90-LNT... EQ Wedge w/Compass

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 D13x3

D13x3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:16 PM

Please help...

I recently took delivery on a Meade 10" LX90-LNT.

Along with it, I bought an equatorial wedge. The wedge came with a compass that attaches to it. Apparently Meade thinks we need help in finding North.

My question is, with all that metal surrounding it, how can that compass possibly operate correctly? :lol:

Anybody?

Thanks and regards,

#2 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:23 PM

If the tripod is aluminum it won't be an issue. I take it you know this and the tripod has steel legs?

#3 D13x3

D13x3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:19 PM

Nocturnal,

Right, the tripod does have steel legs. Won't that interfere with the compass's accuracy? In addition, of course, this is not even taking compass variation into consideration... an inherent bug-a-boo that all magnetic compasses have in common.

I do almost all visual use with my scopes. I have never, and will never, rely on a compass. So, granted, my question is an exercise that's purely academic. It's so easy just to aim at Polaris when setting the home position.

I guess I'm just wondering why Meade adds to the cost of their equipment by including a device that has virtually no useful value that I can see.

Regards,

#4 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:26 PM

Sam,

that is indeed odd. Of course they've had compasses in steel ships and cars for a long time and they work fine once compensated. I doubt this little guy is compensated though. When I got started a few months ago I walked up and down our street with my GPS to verify that it was indeed exactly N-S. I could have used Google Earth or Polaris for that but didn't think of that till later :-) So as a side effect our back fence is also N-S. Easy alignment when I can't see Polaris (tree). That doesn't help the wedge mounted C8 of course.

Curious why Meade would put that compass there.

Sander

#5 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

Simple. For the same reason their built-in bubble levels aren't really *level*. I went cucamonga over that little bugaboo until i heard that, went out & bought my OWN bulls-eye bubble level, & placed it on a flat spot near the Meade bubble. Yup. Theirs was useless. No wonder i was getting funny tracking resuls. Ha-ha. That was a good one...
:cool: mike b

#6 D13x3

D13x3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2005 - 03:49 PM

Mike....

I guess Meade isn't alone in putting some junk on their scopes. I just got rid of a 2004 Celestron 11" SCT that was also tricked out with a useless bubble level. It indicated the tripod was level when I could simply "eyeball" it and see that it wasn't!

Egad! Home Depot sells better stuff! :roflmao:

Where do they get their design engineers and their QA people???

#7 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:31 PM

Obviously not Home Depot. ;)

Anybody remember Fred Rated, of "Federated Electronics" stores advertising fame (c.80's)? Wonder where he works now...
:question:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics