•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Okay Im ready to buy.. Now I really need somehelp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 haleymon

haleymon

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:02 PM

Ok guys I was going to buy a Celestron CPC 1100 GPS XLT

but...

They are not released yet and Celestron now says it may be March before I can get one.

SOOOOOOO.

I have $3000.00 bucks (and the Wife has made it PERFECTLY clear not a dollar more)

I want a GPS Goto scope

Which one will I get the most bang for my buck?

I want to start with great visuals, but eventually I want to do some photography (Nothing Super Fancy).

Which way do I go? or do I just Wait till March (Which I really don't know If I can wait that long!)

Thanks AGAIN

#2 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:29 PM

Used Nexstar 11 GPS XLT or Meade LX-200 10" - they frequently show up on AstroMart well within your price range.

#3 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

The GPS only option is limiting you. For 2800, you can get the Orion Atlas 11" EQ-G. It's a GoTo scope, EQ Mount, Still 11", and includes the Celestron coatings.

If you need the GPS, then meade still has options, but not the aperatue for that price... (Unless you do the 10" LX200 without the coatings!)

The Meade LX200 8" is 2300.00. Leaves nice room for accessories. But I don't know if you want the aperature loss. If that is not too big a deal breaker, theres the 7" mak-cass LX200 also. This is an f/15 scope for 2800.00. Again, 200 for accessories. This would make a fantastic planetary scope!... And of course, focal reducers will help with other objects... :)

I know the feeling though... I can't wait to get my LX200-10"...

#4 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

Can the Orion computer be controlled by software like Cartes du Ciel, Astroplanner and others?

#5 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:42 PM

Wow.. For having a 5 meg Cable connection, this site is SLOW!!!

Not sure.. You'd need to check that yourself. I think "The Sky" and Starry Nights pro can control it.

#6 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:13 PM

I would look at your budget again. If you has $3000 and "not a dollar more," you don't want to spend it all of the scope. The accessories add up. I think the minimum number of eyepieces is three - long, medium, and short focal length. If you get a 2" eyepiece, will you need a 2" diagonal? A barlow is good to get as well. Dew sheild, stool, star charts, red flash light, software, etc. Individually, these are not expensive, but they sure add up.

I have assumed this is your first scope and you have none of the little neccessities that build up in this hobby. I am sorry if I sound like a party pooper, but getting a scope is not so straight forward.

BTW, how do you know this 11" SCT is the scope for you. From your post it sounds like you are already to jump ship and take the next best deal. Three grand is a lot of money for the wrong scope.

#7 pber2025

pber2025

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:37 PM

Why not get the LX90 10"? I understand it is not a GPS scope, but it has a good GOTO system. At 2299$ (Price at Astromomics) this is I think a good price and the optics are suppose to be the same as in the LX200GPS. With the money saved you can buy all the other must have accessories, like a powerpack etc or better buy a gift for your wife. Trust me the second option is a long term investment.....

:cool:

#8 haleymon

haleymon

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:39 PM

Will

Thanks for your input.

I have a 130 GT now with the following

6.7 mm pl
8 mm Wide Angle
10 mm
17 mm
20 mm pl
25 mm

Collimator

Telrad
Red Led Light
2X Barlow
3X Barlow

Color and LPR filters
Starry Night Pro 5.0
Viewing Chair
Star charts

I should have put that in the original post Sorry

Thanks

#9 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

And now, for something completely different.

MN76

CG5GT

#10 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:52 PM

Dave, no problem. It looks like you are all set and have been doing this for long enough - not always easy to tell. But don't forget the dew sheild. :lol:

I would also think about a 40mm EP for your new scope. A 11" SCT is an f/10 and has a very long focal length. Unfortunately, the 40mm (don't bother with a 40mm Plossl) will need a 2" diagonal. Just a thought for your budget and viewing pleasure. If you need a 2" LPR filter for that, slip that in you budget as well. The "oh, I just need one more tiny thing," does not soften the heart of my budget director.

I'm sorry I can't help with GPS scopes as I don't have one.

#11 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:45 PM

I always push the lx200 classics...especially the 10.
if you want gps checkout stargps a 199 add on . miror lock no swet scopestuff has a kit. microfucuser, well there are much better/ and more flexible units out there .

my version is I rather sink
1500 into a scope
sv-4 autoguider for $500,
used milborn wedge $325
top rings rail , and 3d counterweight set for @$200+ (ADM)
a flip mirror and guiding eyepice @169 (scopehead1 on ebay)
and a used orion 80ed @350 120st for less even an 80st.

much, much better setup then a gpslx200 IMHO..

#12 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:33 PM

Hello Dave. I've had a lot of scopes of different types. It's hard to beat the 9.25 XLT and 11 XLT Celestrons for image quality. I was looking at the pricing for the Nexstar compared to the CPC and its no contest. The CPC with the pricing listed is the way to go. But you have to do something in the meantime (March is a long way out).

I have had the Meade 8, 10 and 14 inch LX200s and the Celestron Nexstar 8, C 9.25 and C 14 scopes. If it were me, I would purchase the Celestron Advanced 9.25. I would use it for a year and learn EQ mounts (you will come back to those if you ever get real serious about photography). I would then sell the 9.25 and goto mount when the CPC 11 is available. You should get most of the money back for the 9.25/mount. The 9.25 XLTs are hot scopes. The Celestron Advanced 9.25 will leave about 1000 in your budget to play with. It's 1,999 and in stock at Astronomics .

All of the recommendations here are good and would serve you well. I just find the 9.25 with XLT has "knock your socks off" optics. (It's not quite as good as my RCX 10" but the RCX cost 2.5 times more.)

#13 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:21 PM

I'm not sure about he whole GPS and 140000 object database thing. I intend to have a PC or PocketPC control my next computerized scope and then I'll simply update the location and time from a GPS receiver I already have.

Of course if you're looking for a stand alone scope that you intend to move around a lot and you don't want to use a laptop then a full featured controller comes in handy. I'd want the LX200 for the superior pointing and focusing ability compared to the LX90. I wish the GPS was an add-on you could skip.

#14 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:12 AM

I wish the GPS was an add-on you could skip

then you want a classic

#15 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:50 AM

Right but I'm not sure I want to buy used. Oh well, just spent a lot of $$ on a new car so I'm not proposing another multi $K purchase juuuust yet to my wife :)

#16 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:20 AM

Nexstar 11. Enough said.

#17 Donnie

Donnie

Viking 1

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:47 AM

Having owned my share of GOTO SCT's in the past I offer the following advice. GPS is over rated in my opinion. Unless there are some very strange circumstances that I can't think of, I can't see a purchase hinging on the inclusion of GPS.

I had an LX90 a few years ago when they first came out. Last year I had a Nexstar 8GPS. I could get the LX90 setup and aligned just as quick as the GPS Celestron. You can find your latitude and longitude on the internet. That is stored in the hand controller. All you have to do is input the date and time and make sure you are level and pointed north. When I would set the scope on the tripod I would release the clutches and move it manually. Then turn the power on and input the date and time.

From there it goes to the first alignment star. The alignment stars are very easy to identify for any amateur.

I am not saying GPS is a bad thing, but I think it is over rated. The fact that the scope does the hard work of finding objects once aligned is enough for me. I never saw it as much trouble to input the date and time. In fact, as I already mentioned, I could get up and running just as fast with the LX90 as I could with the N8GPS. Another thing that is mentioned sometimes is using the scopes when traveling. Again, it takes 30 seconds to input a zipcode and find the lat/long. Write it down and put it in your eyepiece case before leaving on a trip. With GPS if you travel a large distance, the GPS unit can sometimes take a long time the first time to initialize and find the sattelites--assuming you are traveling far from your usual location. Much easier to me to just get the lat/long of where I will be going and write it down.

Others have offered good suggestions. I would suggest that you not limit your choices to only GPS capable. Others may feel differently, you too perhaps. That is the cool thing about this hobby, lots of choices for everyone. Best of luck with your decision. :)

#18 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:15 AM

Oh man, did you get a lot of different great opinions...

For a different view: (I'm alwys good for that) :)
If your like me, $3000 purchases just don't come around to often. If I was spending that much money, i'd be going after something Observatory quailty type setup in nature.

Do you have to buy new?

On the used market, the best deals I see are used Classic 12" LX200's, entire setups with wedge (needed for astro-imaging), reducers, and a slew of great mods and accessories go for around $2000.00

This is an observatory class telescope, probably not one you will want to move around alot by any means.

Now for the full $3000, I'd have to try to get into a 14" SCT, then you truly would have the most bang for your buck.

Watch astromart everyday for a C14 or Meade 14" package.

There is an OTA right now list as best offer:
http://www.astromart...ified_id=378543

Your post did say most bang for your buck. A 14" SCT is about as serious of a telescope there is.

#19 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:27 AM

one warning..though the deals are great on 12&14's the 10 is very big..the 12 & 14's must be huge..but on a pier...they would be great.

#20 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:04 PM

Good warning... He did say most bang for his buck after all. :) Sounds like he wants to buy new though.

$3000, I'd find a way to get into a 14" SCT.... :)

#21 Bob Pasken

Bob Pasken

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:12 PM

I agree with the others about the GPS. I mostly observe from home and the only thing the GPS gives me is accurate time, but then so does a radio tuned to WWV. I will also second the Celestron recommendations

#22 Chris G

Chris G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:18 PM

I just boughr John Crilly's 12" LX200 aka Bertha II and I promptly renamed it The Beast because it's huge! But what a sweet scope! With a a set of wheelie bars it's easy to roll out of the garage for viewing.

As far as GPS, I know my home coordinates and use a Garmin ETrex when I travel to pick them up.

#23 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

Hard not to tell him to just go after the best 12" LX200 classic deal he can find.

It really is an observatory class instrunment. The forks and tripod are beefy for the size of the scope.

#24 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:30 PM

Hard not to tell him to just go after the best 12" LX200 classic deal he can find.

It really is an observatory class instrunment. The forks and tripod are beefy for the size of the scope.

That's difficult to argue with. If I hadn't decided to go back to a GEM mine would never have left - and if/when I switch back to a forkmount I'll be shopping for an extra-nice 12" Classic again. There's nothing with comparable aperture and mount performance in the price class.

#25 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:37 PM

there is always an ota..for that gem

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics