•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Okay Im ready to buy.. Now I really need somehelp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#26 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

there is always an ota..for that gem

I wouldn't be surprised to find a 12" Meade or a C14 on this mount at some time. With the 12" Meade it should perfrom about as well a 12" Classic - but I'll have much more than the price of a 12" Classic invested at that point. For now I want to fiddle with as many non-SCT tubes as I can while the GEM is available to make that possible.

#27 haleymon

haleymon

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:13 PM

one warning..though the deals are great on 12&14's the 10 is very big..the 12 & 14's must be huge..but on a pier...they would be great.

Okay...

Now you guys have me concerned about portability of the CPC 1100. I will be transporting this more then not (My neighborhood is in the woods with LOTS of trees).

Is the weight difference that big between an 8", 9 1/4" & 11"?

Also...

How much visual quality would I loose Going to a 9 1/4" or an 8" from an 11"

And as for the GPS...

Are you telling me that the only thing that feature is good for is time & location? It does nothing else but that?

Heck, I have a hand held Garmin GPS I can manually tranfer the data from it to the scope and save myself some bucks!!!

All that being said...

Now what do I do?????

AURGGGGGG!!!!!! I'm sooooooo **** confused!!!!!!!

#28 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:09 PM

one warning..though the deals are great on 12&14's the 10 is very big..the 12 & 14's must be huge..but on a pier...they would be great.

Okay...

Now you guys have me concerned about portability of the CPC 1100. I will be transporting this more then not (My neighborhood is in the woods with LOTS of trees).

The 11" Celestron forkmounts are comparable to the 10" Meades for size, weight, and portability. The 12" and 14" Meades are a big step up in size and awkwardness.

#29 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:15 PM

The 11" Celestron'ss aren't to bad, the 10" Meade's aren't to bad, the 9.25" and below is what I would lable easy.

The 12" Meade is a freaking beast. The 14" scopes are really beyond beastly. And well a 16 is just repulsively titanic. :)

I actually plan once again for a 17.5" EQ with piggy backed 5" refractor to be my haul around from place to place scope. So I may not be the best one on how difficult to move around any given size might be.

Heck, I've been hauling around a 30" this entire year, well from April on anyways when it was completed and 1st lighted.

#30 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:27 PM

By the way... A CPC 1100 is also a very nice scope!!!

I mean no reservations with that at all new. But you did ask for maximum bang for buck suggestions. :)

I'd finagle a 14" CI-700 mount combo. Purchased as a package or separately, no matter as long as it fits the budget. Now that is some serious bang for your buck.

Plus I want to see the look (or at least read about it here) when she see's the 14" setup!!!! OMG.. Priceless. :)

#31 pber2025

pber2025

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:07 PM

If you haven't done so, I can only suggest you go to your local astronomy dealer and check the scopes. I know the CPC11" is not release yet, but check the CPC 8" and look at the LX200GPS 10". Lift them and move them around in the store to get a feal for how heavy those beast are. The ads are very deceving, the scopes are much bigger when you see them in real life. I know my LX200GPS 10" is about 62 lbs to move around so it is moveable, but it is not something you want to carry for hundreds of feet if you can avoid it.

When I was shopping to buy a new scope last spring I did show ads of the LX200GPS 10" to my wife to prepare her for the shock. When she saw the scope in the store she said, you got to be kidding right.... :mad:

I, for one, never ever buy used equipment. However when I started looking for a new scope last spring, I got in touch with a local dealer in my area. I was trying to decide if I should wait for the CPC to be released, buy a Nexstar or a LX200GPS. During an exchange of e-mails about the expected delivery dates for the CPC, he told me one of his customers was trading in an almost new LX200GPS 10" with UHTC for something else.

He told me he would inspect the scope and give me more details after. The previous owner wanted to buy a OTA on a GEM mount instead of the LX200GPS, to get into astrophotography. I went to the store and checked the scope for any signs of damage, the dealer had a new one identical setup next to it so I dould compare. Turned out the scope had less then 6 hours of use and was in perfect condition. The dealer gave me a one year warranty on it. In the end, I saved 700$ cdn on the scope (~590$ US). For me this was a win-win scenario. So keep an open mind.

#32 haleymon

haleymon

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:20 PM

If you haven't done so, I can only suggest you go to your local astronomy dealer and check the scopes. I know the CPC11" is not release yet, but check the CPC 8" and look at the LX200GPS 10". Lift them and move them around in the store to get a feal for how heavy those beast are. The ads are very deceving, the scopes are much bigger when you see them in real life.

This is a GREAT idea!

The only problem is...

I live in Houston (4th largest city in the country) and from what I can tell we only have 1 Scope shop (Land Sea & Sky) and they really dont have much, if any floor model scopes

If anyone knows of another shop here in Houston PLEASE let me know! You would think a city this size would have more then 1 Scope shop. (and Frys may sell scopes but thats not a scope shop. Been there and no one knows a thing about the scopes, other then how much they cost and even then they have to look that up. The only scopes on the floor are the 200 to 400 dollar scopes. The high end stuff you have to order.

Thanks

#33 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

It may be worth your while to travel to another city, or to a star party, not only to see other scopes, but also to be sure you want an 11". Land, Sea, and Sky (a/k/a Texas Nautical Repair) is a U. S. distributor for Takahashi, so they're not carrying astro-gear as an afterthought. I'd say, give 'em another try...

#34 haleymon

haleymon

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:22 PM

Okay

The CPC 11" is only 17 lbs more then the CPC 8" so thats not that bad

#35 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:40 AM

But is not just heavier, it is bigger to. It is easier to move smaller boxes than larger one regardless of the weigh. If you are going with a fork mount, this is a real issue. GEM mounted scope can be much heavier, but they also break down into smaller pieces so it is easier in a way to move around. ]

I am with Rusty, I would go to a star party and arrive early to see some of the folks setup. And be careful with the idea that something is just managable. That may be nice once, but if you intend to use it often, the setup can be tiresome to the point you would rather not do it.

A smaller scope can show you more simply because you use it.

#36 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 15 October 2005 - 02:53 PM

One reason I decided on the CPC 800 instead of the CPC 925 is the weight and bulk. With all of my accessories on the OTA, it's quite the lift to pickup and set on the tripod. Yes I know I can take everything off the OTA but I'm glad I don't have to everytime I want to use the scope. I'll save the big one for when I have a pier. In the mean time I have a scope that is more portable, to me at least, that I can take to darksite/star party without too much hassle.

#37 Burnim

Burnim

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

I bought the N11, which approx. the same weight as the CPC11, it even has the same tripod. The tube assembly comes in at 63 lbs., not that heavy, unless your tired, or your trying to put it on the wedge, or you've got a strong buddy who's not tired. Remember this is the expensive part of the scope. It's not so much heavy as awkward. If you do get the 11, get the landing pad, and/or scopebuggy.

B

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics