•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Reflector Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:56 PM

Hi.
My name is Will Fuller and I am new to this forum. This past summer I purchased an Orion XT6 (6",1200,f8 Dob). My son and I are having a great time with it and gradually learning more about what's up there. Last night we used the book Turn Left at Orion (which I recommend highly) to find two of the three star clusters M36, M37 and M38 (I'm still not sure which two we actually found, but it was a start). Recent views of Saturn have been amazing us both as well.
Anyway, a few questions:
1. Low power eyepiece - I am currently using the 25mm Plossel that came with the scope as my "low power" eyepiece. Last night made me realize that it may actually be too high powered (48x) for some deep sky stuff. Any thoughts on a decent low power eyepiece for a reflector (I've read some articles on Cloudy Nights that make me think something simpler and less expensive than a Tele-Vue may be the way to go for this particular telescope). Or maybe I should just stick with the 25mm?
2. Focuser - the focuser is a little stiff. It's impossible to make fine adjustments. Any recommendations on fixing or replacing? (Incidently, I love this telescope and think it was a steal for the $250 I paid during an Orion sale).
3. Storage - I'm getting a little tired of lugging the scope from the garage out to the backyard. I live in No. Cal. so we don't get real cold weather. Any reason I can't store the scope in an unheated but dry storage shed?
Thanks in advance for any wisdom you may have to offer. And thanks for a great forum.
Will Fuller

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:09 PM

You could select a 30mm or 32mm eyepiece to get a little wider field of view with a little lower magnification. the exit pupil would not get to large to be unuable. The 30mm Ultima is a good choice. With a 40mm ep, you would gain brightness at the expense of magnification but very little additional fov.

On you focuser. look under the focuser. is there a small metal plate held on with two small screws. if so, back off the screws a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. If no scres, then look on top of your focuser for a very small allen wrench hole. Back off the tension a little with the allen wrench or a jeweler's screw driver.

Store it any where you can keep it clean and dry.

edz

#3 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:51 PM

Having the store in a shed provided it's away from spider webs and dry is probably the best solution, as you have your scope already cooled down. Then it's not a shed anymore... It's an observatory!

As fot the eyepieces, I side with EdZ for the 30mm Ultima. I don't have the 35mm ultima but there is no reason it should not be as good. 40mm eyepieces tend to be disappointing choices because they have a very narrow apparent field of view. So the 30mm Utlima has a wider true field than the 42mm! I recommend getting at least 50° afov (apparent field of view) on low power eyepieces.

Focuser: follow EdZ's advice. Also look if you can replace the lubricant with a fluider one. A lot of budget focusers hae not-so-well machined cogs and gears, which don't roll well on each other, and manufacturers try to get around it by putting sticky lubricants that tend to keep things together.

#4 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:12 PM

Will,

like Matt said, take the focuser apart and clean off the original grease. The stuff they put on at the factory is much closer to pancake syrup than grease.

Good luck,

Dave

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:52 PM

I just received the 32mm Orion Highlight Plossl, I must say, the contrast is much better then the Sirius line (of which I own quite a few.

Attached Thumbnails

• 56627-dob.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics