•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stopped down Celestron 9.25 vs Orion ED80

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#26 sixela

sixela

Hubble

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:09 PM

For stars, it's complex, but at sizes for which the Airy disc gets mapped to one pixel on a CCD, the exposure time needed for a given brightness depends entirely on the aperture.

Once your image scale is so large that stars are really Airy discs (i.e. expose an area on the sensor), they behave like extended objects.

#27 sixela

sixela

Hubble

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

Example: 80mm f/10 vs 80mm f/5; the f/5 has shorter exposure time because the f/10 gets illuminated less.

For extended objects, each given area of the sensor gets four times less light on the f/10 because the f/10 spreads the same light over four times the area (given its image scale that is twice as large).

For point objects, both scopes map all the light coming from that 80mm aperture onto a single point, so brightness is identical at identical exposure time.

#28 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:23 PM

For stars, it's complex, but at sizes for which the Airy disc gets mapped to one pixel on a CCD, the exposure time needed for a given brightness depends entirely on the aperture.

Once your image scale is so large that stars are really Airy discs (i.e. expose an area on the sensor), they behave like extended objects.

That's a better explanation than mine, which was oversimplified. Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics