•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Celestron Pacific C10 up for auction on Astro Mart

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:57 AM

I am not happy to post this. I have put my C10 up for auction on AstroMart. :( I simply do not have the time to use this or any of my other scopes for that matter.

Vern

#2 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:35 AM

That is a sweet setup.

#3 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

Vern,

I feel for your upcoming loss...its not too late to change your mind.

Keith

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:06 PM

Oh my heart! Oh my wallet! I hope you get a big price for it. That is one Primo C10.

#5 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:10 PM

Hi Vern,

Sorry to see you parting with your beautiful C10, and thanks again for the info you've shared to help me get mine up and running.

For anyone interested, get this scope while Mars is close! My 1965 C10 is proving to be the best Mars scope I've used, and you could have the privilege of experiencing the Red Planet through something made when the canal myth was first disproved by Mariner IV.

Best regards,

Dave

#6 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

Is that yours ? I was looking at it earlier, then I counted the coins in the junk drawer. I'm a little short, though! I hope you find the time to enjoy your scopes soon!

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

Geez. All this is making me want to hang on to it. So far the action is going fairly slow. Maybe it will be staying home after all . It will have to do a large number for e to part with it. My wife keeps telling me the time will come when I do have the time to use it. She keeps saying things like"What will you do then to equal it ? One of those six inch apo's you are always calling people nuts for buying?" She reminds me of how I was a basket during the buying process after the original owner decided to keep it and then change his mind months later. I can't even look at my avatar :)

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2005 - 10:19 PM

Boo Hiss. Looks like they are closing in on it :nonono:

#9 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:11 PM

Hi Vern,

Just out of curiosity, what did your C10 go for? Just want to know in case you miss having one some day (not that mine is as complete as yours, no pier or guidescope for mine)!

Dave

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:06 AM

Hello Dave,
Sorry it took so long to reply. The scope did 2700 dollars. I think it had the potential to do more than that had I waited for a better time. I may come knocking one day. ;)

I will continue to monitor this forum. It is just a matter of time before I get my hands on what I really long for.A classic reflector on one of those monster eq mounts. :bow:

#11 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:23 AM

Hello Dave,
Sorry it took so long to reply. The scope did 2700 dollars. I think it had the potential to do more than that had I waited for a better time. I may come knocking one day. ;)

I will continue to monitor this forum. It is just a matter of time before I get my hands on what I really long for.A classic reflector on one of those monster eq mounts. :bow:

Looked to me like the mount alone was worth more than that. :(

#12 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

Hi Vern,

Always a hard choice to decide to part with something like that, my darling wife always talks sense back into me when I think about selling something just because I'm not using it now.

Either she doesn't want to have to OK me spending five times as much in 20 years for a replacement or she wants to make sure she gets some time with the TV to herself!

The biggest problem you'll have searching for your dream scope is doing internet searches on Goto rarely if ever comes up with one made by them! I saw a 6" f15 on the most gorgeous tapered pier with weight drive and all for not much money some years back, but a 500 pound stand and 90" long tube kept me from acquiring it.

Dave

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:55 AM

Actually the scope did what I expected to the dollar. It may be well built and all but it is still a niche scope with a small group of interested parties.From a pure optics standpoint it is awsome.For those interested in modern convienances such as multi speed drives,goto and so on it has no appeal.When you consider that a person can get a 10" Meade LX90 goto for 400 less dollars it is not hard to see that the market for the classic stuff is a small one.

Vern

#14 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:42 PM

I remember lusting after one of these when I was a youngster. The $2000 price was just way over my budget then, but it didn't stop me from dreaming.

Clear skies, Alan

#15 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:59 PM

When you consider that a person can get a 10" Meade LX90 goto for 400 less dollars it is not hard to see that the market for the classic stuff is a small one.

Vern

Except you'll go through many more of the Meades before that Celestron ever falls apart.

Keith

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

Except you'll go through many more of the Meades before that Celestron ever falls apart.

Keith

So true. After using it first hand I am not sure the C10 will ever fall apart.

Vern

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:01 PM

I remember lusting after one of these when I was a youngster. The $2000 price was just way over my budget then, but it didn't stop me from dreaming.

Clear skies, Alan

An aquaintance of mine had the very same memories of this scope. That is what lead to me buying it in the first place. I am not going to change my avatar if that's ok. At least until I find something to replace it.

Vern

#18 starryskyn

starryskyn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:24 PM

I own one of these beauties, along with the 4" guidescope, many additions like anti-mirror flop, different cameras, telecompressor lens for F7, illuminated setting circles, vernier DEC pointers, DEC motor, Compur leaf shutter, filters, etc, etc. Now I am trying to install encoders for computer integration. For a quarter century I have been challenged to come up to this scope's capabilities. Admiring the Galilean moons and Neptune as disks is something this scope lets me do easily.

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:36 PM

For a quarter century I have been challenged to come up to this scope's capabilities. Admiring the Galilean moons and Neptune as disks is something this scope lets me do easily

The C 10 is the only SCT that I have ever used that resolved these moons into distinct spheres. My 11" starmaster and MN61 Mak/Newt could do this with consistancy. I have an 8" f/6 reflector that can do this as well. I still have the reflector.

My reflector is made of a sundry of modern parts combined with a great set of optics. While it performs so well that I sold the 6" maksutov newtonian I would much rather have a classic 8" f7 . My ultimate classic dream scope is a C16. :bow:

That is not likely to happen. The classic 8 inch I can probably make happen :woot:

#20 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

Sorry I did not notice this thread before. I bought Vern's C-10 and absolutely love the fool thing. A few nights back I had it out right after viewing Jupiter with my FS-152. Conditions were less than ideal, but at equal powers, the C-10 was turning in an almost identical image in terms of sharpness and detail. Who knows what it can do under ideal seeing- hope to find out one day soon!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1132014-Resize of DSC_0033 (2).JPG

#21 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:11 PM

Looks like it went to a good home. Thanks for telling us.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics