•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7

• Please log in to reply
1665 replies to this topic

#1651 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:12 PM

Utility power was out for about 1 1/2 days, but we got by with battery and then generator. No solar power when they are covered with snow. We still have to trudge the 1/2 mile to where the county road ends where we keep the car. I broke out the old frame pack to lug the groceries. Looks like that will continue until sometime this weekend if we're lucky. Will an ATV get through 2ft of snow on a steep road?

• square_peg likes this

#1652 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:55 PM

Hey all, the OAS is hosting our annual Spring Camp Delany star party 3 to 7 May.  Details at https://olympicastronomicalsociety.org.  We have plenty of bunkhouse space and tenting area space available.  RV spots are full.

• square_peg likes this

#1653 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:08 PM

Steve, your simulation is really cool! (But yes, it's uncomfortable without the outhouse.)

Thanks for the invitation, Cliff.

Brad, you would find a handheld (or waist strap-held) toboggan just the thing for hauling groceries. Next time you're snowed in you can build one during the dim hours while the snow blows.

Edited by Spaced, 15 February 2019 - 05:12 PM.

• square_peg likes this

#1654 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

Hey Mike, I took the liberty of memorializing Pixieland in perpetuity in my Flight Simulator X install. I used to be a well-known scenery developer in the FS community years ago and I decided to break out the development kit, and put together a small little scenery packge memoralizing a star party happenin'.

Only thing I'm missing, is the porta-potty! smile.gif

https://www.youtube....h?v=hx4AWokaTQU

And the 2 neighboring structures.

GD.jpg

• square_peg, astronomania, SteveRosenow and 1 other like this

#1655 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:06 AM

Utility power was out for about 1 1/2 days, but we got by with battery and then generator. No solar power when they are covered with snow. We still have to trudge the 1/2 mile to where the county road ends where we keep the car. I broke out the old frame pack to lug the groceries. Looks like that will continue until sometime this weekend if we're lucky. Will an ATV get through 2ft of snow on a steep road?

Yes, an ATV should have no problem driving thru 2' of wet heavy 'Cascade concrete' snow. And it will happily pull the toboggan that Mike suggested.

• BradleyB likes this

#1656 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:08 PM

And the 2 neighboring structures.

attachicon.gif GD.jpg

I would love to add those however getting close to them for photorealism would be, erm, a bit of a risk I'd rather not take. I suppose I could write a generic building BGL library for them but it wouldn't be the same. LOL

• SteveG likes this

#1657 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

OK, all you sun-starved PNWers, it's party time!

Pixieland SP thread is up!  dalek12.gif   (What is that thing to my left, anyway?)

Edited by Spaced, 11 March 2019 - 01:37 PM.

• SteveG and Caddman like this

#1658 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

Some of us are still around. Not too much observing lately, but at least it has not been overly hot and smoky.

Is anyone here going to be at Oregon Star Party this year?  I'll have the same get up, brown van with white wing tarp.

Brad

• square_peg likes this

#1659 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:13 PM

I'd love to go but I already have plans for that weekend. I need a star party. I guess I better start planning for next year. tongue2.gif

#1660 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:57 PM

I'm not a regular contributor this this thread, but I've met a few of people here.

I'll be at OSP in the same spot as always.  I'm really easy to find.  I have the observatory tent off the east side of the short road to the loop.  There may be another observatory tent in the area.  If there are two, mine is the one further south, towards the vendors.

#1661 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:01 AM

Anne and I live just a couple of blocks from the South Puget Sound Wildlife Area, which is a former State game farm and which sports a large (45 - 60 acres?) open, grassy (and Scotch Broom, dang it) basin, with walking trails throughout and around part of the circumference. Seemed like a great place to go watch Perseids early yesterday morning!

So I ate a light breakfast, grabbed a camp chair, banana and coffee and my binoculars and headed out around 3:00. It was a particularly still morning, not a breath of breeze, warm enough, with a couple of patches of thin stratocirrus which soon disappeared. The yellowing full moon was setting in the SW.

When I returned Anne asked me if it was a success, to which I replied, "Yes, technically, since I saw one meteor."  Turned out I could have picked a better spot to sit. I chose my place because some tree limbs blocked a couple of distant yard lights and the field of view swept around toward the north. But I was facing too far south and the one meteor I saw was when I turned around and saw one bright one tumbling to the ground behind me.

I can make the game farm work for Perseids!  When I repeat the experience I'll go down into the basin and view from there. It should block more lights and allow me to see a better piece of sky. If I pick my direction a bit more competently (that part is embarrassing) I should be able to have a good view. And next year should be a new moon!

Edited by Spaced, 14 August 2019 - 10:02 AM.

• square_peg likes this

#1662 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the report, Mike.

I usually just watch at zenith where the stars are brightest.

#1663 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Vanguard

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

I was at the TAS Star Party Aug 1-4 at Goldendale. This was not at Pixieland but at a property owned by a TAS member.  I woke up Monday Aug 5 at 3 am to check on my telescope which was gathering image data when I saw some sort of light on the northern ridge (also visible from Mike's place). Well there was chatter among those who do solar observing about a coronal hole and the possibility of an Auroral display. Could it be? I took a 2 minute exposure with my DSLR and ensured that this was my first view ever of the Northern Lights.

- Ajay

Attached Thumbnails

• GoldendaleAurora080519-2Small.jpg

• astronomania likes this

#1664 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Vanguard

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

Milky Way from the same TAS Star Party 2019. This was on the night of Wed, July 31, when there was not a lot of observing. People were tired from setting up and called it a night early. Hence the white light inside the tent. Thu on, lights were restricted to red lights only.

Ajay

Attached Thumbnails

• GoldendaleMilkyWay080519-2Small.jpg

Edited by bluedandelion, 21 August 2019 - 06:27 PM.

#1665 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for sharing, Ajay. I really like the colors in the aurora pic.

• bluedandelion likes this

#1666 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

We have space available for our Fall Camp Delany star party at Sunlakes state park!  The dates are 25 Sep to 29 Sep.  Meals included as well as bunk house space or tent camping.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics