•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Isn't this cute!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

• topic starter

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:18 AM

This is just too cute. HST - huggable sweet telescope! (SEE BELOW) Ken has a better picture and I have suddenly got a selfish attitude. But If it all turns out well, I promise a review. :flower:

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 February 2004 - 02:12 AM

Are you going to get it? $300 for a genuine Takahashi telescope. :D

Here's another pic of the same telescope:
http://ponchan.2.pro.../new/mt100.html

#3 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:34 AM

Ken:

THAT is just too cute!

Yes, I'm thinking of bidding on it. But now I realize advertising it on Cloudy Nights is not the smartest idea! I HAVE DIBS ON THIS ONE GUYS AND GALS!!!! I wonder how many members are in Japan?

I just have a thing for small telescopes (it is called my apartment). I think the Takahashi Sky 90 is a wonderful idea. The pricing is something I take issue with - my wife also agrees with me, especially about the pricing.

But if I can get this, I will have a complete telescope set - a refractor, a reflector, and a catadioptic. I am interested on how they compare.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 February 2004 - 11:34 AM

I just have a thing for small telescopes (it is called my apartment).

You do realize that three small telescopes take as much space as one big telescope? :grin:

Anyway it looks like the MT-100 sold at the starting price. Was that you?

#5 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:31 PM

But if I can get this, I will have a complete telescope set - a refractor, a reflector, and a catadioptic. I am interested on how they compare.

:waytogo: That's the way you do it!
Then once you have all three, you will need achro and apochromatic refractors (then two apos: a fluorite doublet and a classic 3 element apo), and among the cats you will need a schmidt cassegrain, a maksutov cassegrain and a mak-newt!

#6 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2004 - 07:37 PM

Agh!!

The server went down just before the auchion ended!!!! I missed it. Oh well, it made my wife happy for Valentines Day, or at least when the credit card bill arrives. And it saved me from breaking my New Year's resolution - no more telescope stuff. All my omikuji (fortunes) during shogatsu (New Years) told me I have to be patient this year.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:20 AM

Oh well. If you'd gotten it, you'd have been tempted to get a matching Takahashi mount anyway, and those are expensive...

#8 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:35 AM

Ken,

Funny you should mention that, I already have a Takahashi mount from the Yahoo Auction site. After looking around for new Vixen mounts I decided to try for a used one. I got a nice Takahashi EM-1S with a polar scope, a 3kg and 5kg counter weights, and a side-by-side mounting plate for a little more than a new Vixen with similar accessories. But the Tak is more solid - love those wooden legs. The EM-1S is almost the same as the EM-2 except the EM-1S RA gear and clutch is exposed rather than built into the head.

You may want to try looking on Yahoo auctions before you go to the states. Since you are looking for that Heirloom scope, you should try an heirloom mount even if it was someone elses heirloom.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:32 PM

Yes I'm keeping an eye on the Yahoo auctions. As a matter of fact I noticed there was another EM-1S there last week. (No tripod though, otherwise I might have considered it seriously.)

By the way there are a couple of neat little Newtonians listed here on the Vixen outlet page:
http://www.mmjp.or.j.../tentai-16.html
Too bad the 100mm OTA is sold out. The 100mm Dobsonian might be fun though.

#10 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:54 PM

Matt,
You are scaring me! A guy would need a very large dog house to live in once he bought that many scopes. :lol:

#11 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 15 February 2004 - 04:47 PM

You meed, one with retractable roof? :lol:

#12 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:01 AM

Matt,
You are scaring me! A guy would need a very large dog house to live in once he bought that many scopes. :lol:

Your right Echo. If I bought that many telescopes, I would have to live in a dog house - my wife would insist on it.

#13 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:32 AM

Yes I'm keeping an eye on the Yahoo auctions. As a matter of fact I noticed there was another EM-1S there last week. (No tripod though, otherwise I might have considered it seriously.)

By the way there are a couple of neat little Newtonians listed here on the Vixen outlet page:
http://www.mmjp.or.j.../tentai-16.html
Too bad the 100mm OTA is sold out. The 100mm Dobsonian might be fun though.

To hell with the dob. That fire-engine red refractor is the cat's meow. The splitting image of the new Vixen 80mm that lists for 35,000 yen. If I didn't already have a cheap 80mm f/5 scope, I would jump at it. Of course it would clash with the Takahashi green mount. But that large 62mm drawtube is tempting - 2" eyepieces.

The great thing about those cheap 80mm scopes is that your expectations are so low when you buy one, that they only leave a good impression when you get one. I use mine as a big finder for my 5" Mak and a drift-alignment/guide scope for wide-field astrophotography. And fun for quick looks on a tripod. It is much more comfortable and versatile than my 20X80 binos.

Now if my binos were fire-engine red... :rainbow:

BTW, it is a pity about Mitaka. Their mounts looked very compact and good for traveling.

I think I saw an EM-1 on the auction site, but not the EM-1S. There seems to be a difference between the EM-1 and EM-1S. The 1S has a built-in RA motor and I think the 1 has the motor an an add on. I also think the 1S came when Takahashi went green. I think the P-2Z is a nice little mount. Takahashi gives it the same load capacity (6kg) as the EM-1S and EM-2, but it is significantly smaller. New, they are expensive, but they occasionally appear used.

Their old mini mounts for their 50mm refractors are cute - I forget the product name, but they could also be used as a guiding platform for a camera. This is before the current Sky Patrol series. But I'm rambling.

Anyway, good luck looking for a mount.

- Will

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics