•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

LX200 Firmware Problem?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:41 PM

I just got my 8 inch LX200 and decided to update the firmware while waiting for clear skies. I started with training the drive (in the day) and calibrating the scope. I use auto align and successfully align the scope. I figure I'll start with the NIght's Best Tour. Uranus come up. The seeing is awful tonight, but the little blue dot is there, not far from the center of the eyepiece. I decide to look at Mars, which has risen. I hit the solar sytem hot key, find mars, and hit GOTO. The scope says "slewing" but doesn't go anywhere. I navigate the menus to Enif. The scope slews right to Enif. I try Mars again. It says slewing for about 3 second, beeps, and says it's at Mars, but it hasn't moved. I navigate the menues to Uranus again. Same thing. It says slewing, but doesn't go anywhere. I can slew to stars all over the sky, Messier objects, but it can't find planets at all. (Except during the Tour) I tried powering off, powering on, realigning. Same deal. What's up with the planets? Firmware bug? Am I doing anything wrong? I'm not holding keys down too long, going into search modes or SYNCH modes or anything. Any thoughts???

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:47 PM

What's up with the planets? Firmware bug? Am I doing anything wrong? I'm not holding keys down too long, going into search modes or SYNCH modes or anything. Any thoughts???

Both the Autostar and Autostar II controllers wait until a planet is actually selected by a second press of "enter" before calculating its position. If you bring up a planet so it appears only on the top line of the display it's not yet selected and pressing "goto" will result in a slew to the last object selected. Since it's already there it won't move. Pressing "enter" again will select the planet and then a "goto" will slew the telescope to it.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:55 PM

Thank you very much for the QUICK reply! My first rookie mistake... (I'm sure there will be others). Time to go reread the manual.

#4 pber2025

pber2025

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

Hi SteveSol

Don't worry I think we all did this mistake at one time or another... It happen to me, trying to GOTO the moon. It took me a few minutes to understand what was going on, and I can tell you I was freaking out, is my new scope already broken?????? :help:

BTW if you scroll down from the main forum page you will fine a section dedicated to Meade LX/RCX scopes. This section is an amazing source of information.

#5 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:09 PM

I literally cried the first night I had mine out, thinking I was going to have to send it back to Meade.

BTW: it's not just the planets. You have to hit Enter for all targets. (Or at least sometimes. I could swear that sometimes I forget to hit enter and it still works. But at least when it doesn't, I know what I did wrong.)

-- Jeff.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I felt EXACTLY the same. Depression at having to send my new telescope back to Meade. Do any of you have a "sticky S" in line two of the display? It seems like the "S" in "Slewing" will sometime persist in line two when I'm scrolling through lists of objects. Instead of Enif, I'll have SEnif.

#7 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:42 PM

Do any of you have a "sticky S" in line two of the display?

Now that's one I haven't seen. Quite odd, really.

-- Jeff.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics