Sky Safari 4
Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:50 AM
One of my questions is how have the major releases been handled in the past? I just purchased Pro a month or so ago and would expect it to be a either free or reduced price being so recent of a purchase.
Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:07 PM
We have not made any firm decisions on how we will handle upgrades.
Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:43 PM
Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:44 AM
Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:07 AM
Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:18 AM
There are two known problems with SS3 on iOS 7. First, the toolbar buttons lose the text under them and you have only the icons. Second, the popup alerts are bright white in Night Vision mode. We have a fix for the first and are waiting for the next iOS beta to see if the alerts revert back to the old style. We will be releasing a new SS3 soon after iOS 7 comes out to fix these problems.
how is it looking to run with iOS7? will it get along? i ask because if there are potential issues, i would rather keep my iPad 2 running iOS6 where it works fine.
IOS 7 is requiring extensive rework of SS4's UI so it will fit in well to the new look and feel. I've spent the better part of the last 2 weeks making UI changes. SS4 will *require* iOS 7. It is just too hard to design it to be back-compatible with older versions of iOS.
Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:32 AM
I hope you don't mind me asking a question. Will there be a version for android that will run on a external SD card instead of internal memory?
Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:22 PM
There may happen eventually. Hopefully it will make it into the initial release of SS4. Note that only the data could be moved to the external SD card. There is also a good chance that the app will run noticeably slower after doing so. Most removable SD media is slower than internal.
Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:24 AM
Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:38 AM
I have a first gen ipad running SS3. When you release SS4, will you keep SS3 available in the app store? I don't want to accidentally overwrite my current app and then not have a version that runs on my hardware. What will users of iOS 6 or earlier have to do to prevent losing SS3?
Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:17 AM
Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:04 PM
Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:43 AM
Yes, I think the current plan is to keep SkySafari 3 on the App Store as well.
Any plans to build in a credit card reader into SkySafari 4? It seems to have everything else...
Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:17 AM
As to the App Store, old versions of apps are often, if not typically, removed, so they can no longer be downloaded again.
That's why it's a really smart idea to save a backup of your iTunes folder (or, more precisely e Mobile Applications folder), especially before a major set of app upgrades.
As another protection, after upgrades, you can also fish the old versions out of the Trash just in case, you discover a new version drops features,adds ads, or is problematic. It's pretty easy to reinstall an old version of an app.
Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:00 PM
Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:28 PM
I highly recommend backing up to your home computer.
Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:43 AM
Will SS4 take advantage of any of the announced new features of the Iphone 5S (e.g., 64-bit architecture, M7 co-processor)?
Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:41 PM
I can hold off updating my iPad for some time (SS is the primary reason I bought the device), but for those of us getting the 5s time is almost up.
Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:15 AM
The bugs were mostly aesthetic things so it's not like you can't use the existing SS3 on iOS7. The tool bar lost the text labels under the icons and the alerts that pop up when in night vision are bright white.
Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:53 AM
No, there are no current plans for a Windows version.
That's a bummer. I hope you get to explore this option in the future. Switching back to Windows from Macs (after 9 years), it's the program I miss the most. Luckily it works great on my Nexus 7.
Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:41 PM