•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
372 replies to this topic

#326 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:02 AM

It seems I can no longer disable the "tilt to use" compass mode, even though it says I can in the help menu the option isn't actually in the settings. This bugs me, since it renders the app useless as a star atlas in the field. Any chance of getting the option of turning off the **** compass back?

Edited by Zamboni, 30 October 2014 - 05:07 AM.

#327 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

I just checked this feature on but iOS and Android and it seems to be functioning for me.  What platform and what release?

#328 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

How well does Sky Safari 4 handle portraying solar eclipses? Does it have the times when an eclipse begins or ends for your location? Thank you.

#329 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

Larry,

We only show the time of deepest eclipse for your location.  It is pretty easy to advance the time to that day and simulate it to see when first and last contact is.

#330 fjs

fjs

Cosmos

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:24 PM

Hi all, Does anyone know how much of the catalogs are cloud-based on the Android platform?

Almost all of the time using Sky Safari I will not have any type of internet connection. I will therefore be limited to whatever data is stored in my device's memory.

In addition, I will not, for the foreseeable future, be using it to control a telescope.

In this case, do either the Pro or Plus versions offer any advantages over the basic version? Or, are the on-board databases  identical?

Thanks,

Frank

#331 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Latest update of SS4 pro on iOS 8.1 on iPhone 5S. Help section says the option to disable compass is under settings-> Coordinates, but it's not in there. Can provide screenshots if necessary.

#332 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

Instructions in help menu:
http://imgur.com/N0QhfTK

Alleged location in settings:
http://imgur.com/jelAgSq

Version number:
http://imgur.com/vITbGcH

Am I missing something here?

Edit: Finally found it under appearance settings. Might want to fix your help file there.

Edited by Zamboni, 30 October 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#333 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

The setting to disable the "Tilt to Use Compass" got moved to the Appearance settings.  I guess the Help didn't get updated.  Thanks for pointing it out.

#334 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hi all, Does anyone know how much of the catalogs are cloud-based on the Android platform?

You don't need internet access for any of SkySafari's database.  It is entirely built into the app.  That is why Pro is 1.2 GB!

You only need internet access to update the orbital elements of satellites, comets and asteroids.  This happens automatically every week or you can force a manual update in the Solar System settings (Plus and Pro only).

#335 fjs

fjs

Cosmos

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

You don't need internet access for any of SkySafari's database.  It is entirely built into the app.  That is why Pro is 1.2 GB!

You only need internet access to update the orbital elements of satellites, comets and asteroids.  This happens automatically every week or you can force a manual update in the Solar System settings (Plus and Pro only).

Thanks for the reply Bill.

In your FAQ for Android, Item 12 seems to imply much more limited functions when internet access is unavailable. Thanks for the clarification.

Frank

Edited by fjs, 30 October 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#336 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

Frank,

I can see how that might be ambiguous.  The data download now normally happens as part of the installation process and the user doesn't even know there is a separate download happening.  If not that, the user is prompted to download when the app is first run.  In either case once you have the download, you have all the data (except for updating comets, satellites and asteroids).

Bill

#337 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:31 PM

Bill,

Can you show me a picture of what you are talking about in relationship to the eclipse? I can't visualize what you described, since I don't own the software. Before I purchase the software, I would like to see how a total eclipse of the sun is portrayed in Sky Safari.

Larry

#338 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

Larry,

I've set my location to Casper, Wyoming on the path of totality.

Here is the Object Info screen.  Note the "Next Solar Eclipse" under "Visibility.

http://www.southerns...Object_Info.png

Here is first contact:

http://www.southerns...rst_Contact.png

Here is totality:

http://www.southerns...lipse_Total.png

Edited by btschumy, 30 October 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#339 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:24 PM

Thanks Bill. But is there anyway you can turn the corona off? Dave Whipps said he was adding the on/off feature in SNP.

#340 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:47 PM

Nope, it is not possible to turn off the glow.  You are the first to ever ask for it.

#341 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:28 PM

Hard to tell with the glow when the contacts occur which is why Dave Whipps is adding that feature in SNP 7. Can you tell when totality begins and ends in Sky Safari? I am sure most people in 2017 would be appreciative if that function was added! There will be millions watching the August 21, 2017 eclipse, since the last one was in 1979 (which I saw).

I was at the University of Missouri campus back in August attending an eclipse workshop for 2017 (hosted by the AAS). This event will be probably be the most observed celestial event in decades. I see a time for mid-totality, but it would be nice if your app would include all the times from beginning to end of the eclipse for any location.

(I hate to ask, based on the first photo, but is the Sun illuminated?)

Edited by firstmagnitude, 31 October 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#342 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:51 PM

I just watched a video showing a lunar eclipse as seen in Sky Safari https://www.youtube....ZkJ_f_uV0#t=104 .Since this video was posted in 2011, does the current Sky Safari portray the penumbral phase of the eclipse as a solid red with no gradation? Does Sky Safari use rings to demarcate the penumbra and the umbra as it does in SNP or are the solid shades of reds acting as that function?

Edited by firstmagnitude, 31 October 2014 - 12:41 AM.

#343 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

I think by zooming in on the edge you can tell when totality begins to within a couple of seconds.  We have almost 3 years to worry about this so I'm sure we can hide the glow before the event if we think it necessary.  As I said, there have been several total eclipses on Earth since SkySafari was created and no one has brought this up.

Yes, the penumbra is solid reddish with no gradation.  Every eclipse appears different.  We are not trying for a picture perfect representation.

#344 fjs

fjs

Cosmos

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

Frank,

I can see how that might be ambiguous.  The data download now normally happens as part of the installation process and the user doesn't even know there is a separate download happening.  If not that, the user is prompted to download when the app is first run.  In either case once you have the download, you have all the data (except for updating comets, satellites and asteroids).

Bill

So...OK, I bought the plus version. Don't let me down Bill. Looks good. 

The learning curve commences!  :)

#345 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

That's good to know Bill, but I am surprised no one brought up the sun being illuminated.

There is a total eclipse of the sun on March 20, 2015. The 2017 eclipse is not the only eclipse between now and then.

But to have the penumbra red...why not have it gray? I have never seen a red penumbra.

Edited by firstmagnitude, 31 October 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#346 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:46 PM

I misread you.  The penumbra is grey, the umbra is reddish.

We report the next eclipse as seen from the location you have set.  There is not an eclipse (partial or total) in Casper, WY before the one in 2017.

#347 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

...and the illuminated sun?

#348 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:35 PM

Any plans to expand the observing list building capabilities?  

It'd be great to have a "List Building Wizard" that let you set filters by target type, magnitude range, degrees above horizon, location, date, time, etc., and then pull all targets meeting the criteria into a list instantly.  The current method of using Search and then adding searched targets to the list is slow and cumbersome.  Adding advanced list generation capabilities also would make Sky Safari a suitable replacement for laptop based tools like Astro Planner and Sky Tools 3.

Purely selfish on my part, of course.  My plan is to use Sky Safari with Sky Fi as me sole means of controlling a new Temma 2 Takahashi mount coming my way.   :grin:

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett, 01 November 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#349 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

Never mind Bill, I asked someone else at Simulation Curriculum.

#350 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

Any plans to expand the observing list building capabilities?  

It'd be great to have a "List Building Wizard" that let you set filters by target type, magnitude range, degrees above horizon, location, date, time, etc., and then pull all targets meeting the criteria into a list instantly.  The current method of using Search and then adding searched targets to the list is slow and cumbersome.  Adding advanced list generation capabilities also would make Sky Safari a suitable replacement for laptop based tools like Astro Planner and Sky Tools 3.

Purely selfish on my part, of course.  My plan is to use Sky Safari with Sky Fi as me sole means of controlling a new Temma 2 Takahashi mount coming my way.   :grin:

- Jim

Jim,

Unless i I misunderstand you, this is already in SkySafari 4.  We have added an Advanced Search feature that lets you find a list of objects that match various criteria such as you described.  Then just tap the Make Observing List. Button at the bottom and you have it.

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics