•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
372 replies to this topic

#126 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Sergio, I think a night using your Mini will turn you into a fan. The combination of large-enough screen and light-enough weight make it -- for me anyhow -- an ideal tool at the eyepiece.

#127 sarastro

sarastro

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

I'm a total neophyte when it comes to smartphones and apps. Can I use Sky Safari 4 on my Samsung Galaxy S3 :question:

#128 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Will there be a way to transfer my V3 observing lists to V4?

There is no automatic way to transfer then. Apple doesn't allow one app to access another app's data ( SS4 and SS3 are separate apps).

However, it is easy to transfer them using iTunes File Sharing. Google it if you don't know how.

#129 Tora

Tora

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Downloading to iTunes now. FWIW - the Pro version was $19.99 when I bought it. (Regularly $39.99). Early Christmas present? :)

#130 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

Sergio, I think a night using your Mini will turn you into a fan. The combination of large-enough screen and light-enough weight make it -- for me anyhow -- an ideal tool at the eyepiece.

The Mini definitely is the Goldilocks solution. Not too small. Not too large. Juuuust right. I also find that to be the case for non-astro use too.

#131 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

I found the mini to be too small for me. I got one with the intention of it becoming my every day device. I found the slightly smaller fonts caused just enough eyestrain to give me a headache after reading a while on it. I took it back and exchanged it for an iPad Air.

I'm sure it is a great solution for someone with slightly younger eyes.

#132 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!
I bought the new Sky Safari 4 last Friday and used it with my CGEM and scope with SkyFi two nights ago. Everything worked beautifully on my iPad 2. I had a lot of fun! :grin:

I did find one little bug though. When reading object info in night vision mode, when I select an object photo in the description the red overlay doesn't cover the image fully. It's just a red box in the middle. Just a small thing, but for some reason it made me laugh out loud. ;)

#133 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Will there be a way to transfer my V3 observing lists to V4?

There is no automatic way to transfer then. Apple doesn't allow one app to access another app's data ( SS4 and SS3 are separate apps). However, it is easy to transfer them using iTunes File Sharing.

Google it if you don't know how.

If you have Pro. At the bottom of your observing lists is a button that says "Email Observing List" Just send it to yourself. I use the iPad. When I open email with iPad and click on object/file it will ask what to open it with. click the "open with button" it will list compatible apps. Open in what version you want. Transfered all of mine this way.

#134 mattz

mattz

Viking 1

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

I emailed the lists to myself as well. It worked in seconds.

I'm very impressed with SS4. This is a great program. My GF and I were texting each other about its new features the other night.

It is worth upgrading to ios7 to get this program. Without a doubt.

#135 Tora

Tora

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

I've been using Star Chart on my Samsung Note and I like it quite a lot. How does Sky Safari compare to it? Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a free trial version. I see they have a couple versions that cost as much as $40.00, can that possibly be worth the price?

Dean - IMHO it is well worth the price of $40 for the pro version. If that seems a little steep the next version down (I believe it's "Plus") gives you telescope control and most of the features of the "Pro" version (with less stars) for a fraction of the cost.) It is by far the best astronomy app I have. They periodically have specials on the price (I got my SS4 "Pro" version for $19.99 which is a "steal" IMO.

#136 mattz

mattz

Viking 1

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

The best deal in astrogear right now is SS4 pro for $20.

Sell grandma, dig around your couch for loose change, dig around your grandma's couch for loose change, in short do what you need to and gather up $20 for this program.

It is that good. Grandma will understand.

#137 mattz

mattz

Viking 1

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

I should note that I use it on the iPhone 5S. It was a bit much of a program for my old 4S and really was way too much for my GFs 4.

But if you have a 5S, you will love the way it essentially gives you a window to view the sky with where the window puts labels on everything. The amount of information provided and thought that went into this is amazing.

Almost unfair to call it an app, it is really more of a program.

#138 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

I found the mini to be too small for me. I got one with the intention of it becoming my every day device. I found the slightly smaller fonts caused just enough eyestrain to give me a headache after reading a while on it. I took it back and exchanged it for an iPad Air.

I'm sure it is a great solution for someone with slightly younger eyes.

:lol:

I thought all of you coding geniuses were young guys!

For my next birthday I'll ask for an observing vest with larger pockets for the eventual full-sized iPad.

#139 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

One set of features I would really love to see in future releases is a couple of slight changes to observing lists and observing logs:

1. An option for when you click "observe" in an object info screen to show only observing lists that include that object.

2. When you select an observing list at that point, have it edit the entry for that object already in the list rather than creating a duplicate.

3. Ability to copy one observation to other observing lists that feature the object.

4. When emailing observing logs as text files from the app, including the equipment and seeing condition information.

The reason for all of these? Astronomical League observing programs. I'm currently working on the Messier, Herschel 400 and Urban Observing programs and there's a lot of crossover between them where a single observation can count towards multiple programs. The way the system is now in SS4 Pro, if I go to log an observation from an object info screen, I select an observing list and it creates a duplicate entry and I have to go back and edit the list to delete the original entry. Then I have to manually go into the other lists that feature the object and recreate the log entirely. Some cross-referencing features would be immensely helpful.

As for including the conditions and equipment info when emailing text files of the logs from the app, that makes it FAR easier to generate an observing log for sending to the awards coordinator.

Just my $0.02. Loving everything else about the app. Glad to finally be running the pro version.

#140 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Please send us an email with any suggestions. We do not keep track of things posted in this forum.

#141 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

Will do!

#142 rustyprice

rustyprice

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

I downloaded Sky Safari 4 Pro on my iPad Air, wow! Clearly a well thought out app., nice work. I'm mostly new to astronomy so may be missing something, but I was playing around with the "meteor showers" feature and couldn't find a sort by peak date, am I missing something here? Would be nice to have the showers sorted by date.

#143 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

We will try to add sorting by peak date in a future release. That sorting characteristic doesn't fit with the other object types so it wasn't immediately obvious how best to add it.

#144 cilio

cilio

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

I downloaded Sky Safari 4 (Plus) today.
I have been playing with it on and off all day - I must say I am extremely impressed!
I think the general look and polish of the User Interface has been implemented very well, and I feel fits in with the IOS 7 intended ‘look and feel’. Love the search features, and the general smooth scrolling of the display (running on a iPhone 5). Well done the developers.

One small request (probably dependant upon your external databases you use) - any chance of adding the new Gaia astronomical satellite to the app’s database ? This is Europe's most advanced astronomy satellite yet, and fits in with this astronomy app!

I am working at the European Space Agency in Darmstadt (Germany), currently for the Gaia astronomical Star mapping satellite that was launched very recently (currently heading for a parking slot at the L2 Lagrangian point for start of observations). Gaia’s star catalogue will, compared to the previous Hipparcos mission, bring a gain of a factor 50 to 100 in star mapping accuracy, and a factor of 10,000 in star numbers when the star catalogue is eventual completed. Would love to track Gaia with the app !

Keep up the good work !

#145 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

Our satellite code is set up for Earth orbiting satellites. Gaia orbits the Sun and cannot currently be displayed. Maybe in a future release.

#146 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Soyuz

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

I have had SS3 Pro for over a year now and have loved it. Got it on sale during the Venus transit of 2012. When I saw SS4 Pro go on sale for half off, I jumped at it. My reasons for purchasing it were:

1. Many more stars than SS3.
2. I figured eventually SS3 will no longer be supported
3. Ability to setup more field of views
4. I was going to have to move to iOS7 eventually.

I think Southern Stars has achieved a good balance of keeping much of the functionality the same for us existing users with some nice improvements.

My only gripe is that the field of view setup appears to be limited. I would like to be able to configure my own telescopes, eyepieces and cameras like I can do in Stellarium. Perhaps there is a way and I just don't see it. Is there a file that can be edited for this?

Edit: Never mind on the gripe. I RTFMed and discovered I could setup my own equipment using the Equipment setup under telescopes. :foreheadslap:

#147 Paulimer

Paulimer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

Bill,
Are there any plans to include mosaic imaging assistance? Even a manually input coordinate option (not centering on stars or objects only) would be very useful.

#148 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

We really do have any special imaging feature planned. Neither Tim nor I are imagers and you do what you know.

You can center on arbitrary coordinates.

1. Center the chart on the coordinates you want to GoTo using the Coordinates settings.
2. Tap the Target field in the scope control panel. The label should change to Chart Center.
3. Do a GoTo.

I fully admit this is somewhat obscure. We have talked about making it more explicit in a future release.

#149 Paulimer

Paulimer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Get that, thanks.
It would be even nicer if I can save the list of coordinates like the observing list :jump:

#150 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

with respect to imaging (i know you said you are not imagers, but this is probably useful to anyone controlling a telescope with SS), the ability to draw a "dead zone" around the meridian line would be really useful. with a GEM there are places near the meridian that you can't slew until they have gotten far enough away from the meridian, typically close to the zenith.

heck if SS refused to issue the goto command for a target within the "dead zone" that would be even better. as it stands now i have to eyeball it and in fact two nights ago i got perilously close to crashing the camera into the mount.

thanks for all the FOV options in SS4 - my only pony request here is that SS4 could ask what side of the pier the scope is on and automatically mirror the guidescope FOV. when using an OAG without a rotator the guidescope FOV is first on one side of the main imager and then after a meridian flip it's on the other… absent that a way to just quickly mirror a guidescope FOV would be great.

rob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics