•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Improvements to Nexstar 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:54 AM

Hi. I'm a new guy to this site and find it an amazing source of information. Wanted to post something so I wouldn"t be a "stranger" any more. I would appreciate any suggestions about improving the performance of my trusty old nexstar 5. Thanks.

#2 Chris G

Chris G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:37 AM

I've use a Nexstar 5 quite a bit and found it to be a wonderful scope, performs very well but the tripod is lacking. I'd think about picking up a set of wooden legs from Hands On Optics to replace the aluminum ones and give it better stability.

#3 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:13 AM

I think the best upgrade to any telescope is expanding the eyepiece collection. With Mars up, a planetary eyepiece such as an Ortho in the 5-7mm range would make a nice addition.

And, welcome!

#4 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:51 PM

rays brackets is good if you add heavy things and need to balance ..

binoviewers are nice, buying t of your desired eyepieces is a bit costly though..

solar filter is a neat add on.

#5 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:13 PM

Improve the performance in what way?

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. It was probably not the best way to ask the question but I appreciate hearing from other Nexstar and CAT users about what's worked best for them

Rick

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics