•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

wondering if i should get 114GT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2004 - 07:15 AM

:question: i am interested in geting a 114GT but im not sure if it fits my needs, first of all would i have to buy some kind of special *expensive* lense to see planets such as saturn and jupiter. i noticed another memeber posted a picture of saturn and it looked really small. also can you guys tell me what other features it has worth buying :grin: thanks :jump:

by the way: is this better than the 114GT >>link<< :rainbow:

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2004 - 10:10 AM

if you can find one at your local costco($200 or less) go for it ,its a great scope at that price. i was very happy with it,(celestron 114gt).that small pic you refer to was maybee mine ,but dont worry about astro photo just yet ,there are many dollars yet to be spent before you will be ready for that . in other words ,if you can get the celestron114gt for 200 or less go for it .if your buget allows for more ,DO MORE RESEARCH.there is much better out there if you have $500-$1000 to spend.

#3 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 14 February 2004 - 02:57 PM

:question: i am interested in geting a 114GT but im not sure if it fits my needs, first of all would i have to buy some kind of special *expensive* lense to see planets such as saturn and jupiter. i noticed another memeber posted a picture of saturn and it looked really small. also can you guys tell me what other features it has worth buying :grin: thanks :jump:

by the way: is this better than the 114GT >>link<< :rainbow:

The 114GT is listed at $249... or the 130GT for $100 more...

http://www.adorama.c...cat3=Reflectors

#4 TeamGS

TeamGS

Gemini

Posted 16 February 2004 - 12:35 PM

You will not NEED any special eyepieces to see the planets, but you may want a 2X barlow, in order to double your magnification. This will allow you mags of 40x, 80x, 100x, and 200x. I chose to replace the stock 10mm EP with a 9mm and 12mm plossl, at ~$40 each. Coupled with my 2X barlow and original 25mm, I now have mag ranges of 40x, 80x, 111x, 160x, and 222x (The max useable mag of the 114GT) I gind that for the sharpest image, 160X is best, as seeing conditions have to be very good to view clearly at 222X.

The 114GT is a very good starter scope. If you have the extra $$, however, I would recommend you get the 130GT, as it has:

1. A larger primary mirror, which allows brighter images, which will help when viewing dimmer objects like nebula, etc. You will also get a slightly higher max mag (~250X)
2. No corrector lens in the focuser.

Good Luck!

Gary

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:40 AM

I've had a 114GT since November, and I think its a good beginner scope to purchase. You have to be very precise with your initial alignment to get it to track properly, such as using a level on the tripod and tube when aligning. Also beware of the hand controller bug that gave it a discount price at Costco in the first place! The hand controller software is missing most of the stars from the two-star alignment option. You can still use the Auto-align though.
I've contacted Celestron and they said they are still waiting for the new shipment of hand controllers to replace the defective ones for those who have called to complain (like me).
As for the eye piece, the 10mm works great. I can see pretty well considering its a 4.5 in. scope. I also purchased a 6mm eye piece to increase the magnification further. I don't recommend a barlow; the quality of your viewing is degraded.
Hope that helps

#6 TeamGS

TeamGS

Gemini

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:23 AM

Hey Ed,
Just as an FYI, there is a workaround for the A-F star issue, though I still seem to have more 2 star failures than successes, so I just use the autoalign option.

When you first power up the scope, skip the align options, and (forgive me if I cannot remember all the details, as I have been using my LX200 lately)go to the names stars option. From there, just scroll backwards until you hit a star beyond A-F, like Vega or Sirius. Then "undo" out, and hit the two star align option, and Voila! All the stars are there to choose from!

Hope this helps!

BTW, I am also still waiting (since early September) for my replacement HC.

Gary
114GT and LX200 Classic 8"

#7 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 February 2004 - 05:39 PM

Post deleted by Syzygy

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:25 PM

I got a cheapo ex-demo 114 and couldn't be happier, not because it fulfils all my astro needs but its cheap (£99), light (I can carry it downstairs and outside with one hand when assembled) and easy to use. It makes astronomy easy for me. I can be sitting here typing this and out side observing in under 5 mins if the skies clear up. the set up I'm working towards(given another £1000+) would be my 114GT for quick, easy, portable astronomy. 12" Dob for the BIG views and an Orion 80mmED on a motorized EQ 5 or 6 for astro photo's.

At the moment I'm using my 144GT and a Scotch mount (for photos)and some 12x42 Bino's+tripod... which is perfect as I'm just starting so astronomy is easy and fast for me with this kit. over time I will buy a Dob an a 80ED + good mount

To summarise at the current price they are VERY worth getting. I can get beautiful shots of Jupiter showing cloud belts and moons + Saturn and its rings. and many great veiws in the supplied eye pieces. It has goto which some say is a crutch but coming from learning the sky with bino's I find it just means you can get nice views without having totally geeky levels of knowledge about the night sky ( ;) not that I don't aspire to that)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics