•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help making a Custom Panoramic Horizon in The Sky6

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 fetoma

fetoma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Observatories or Software forums, so I'll try here first.

I'd really like to use this feature with my CCD Navigator program since my FOV is limited around my 360° horizon. I know basically how it's done per the manual, and have done it, but the issue I'm having is trying to figure out the height of a tree or rooftop relative to the mount/scope position and inserting that info into the Horizon file.

Can anyone guide me thru this or help?

Thanks!

#2 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

I'm working off TSX Pro so hopefully it's the same. I purchased a 12" long plastic angle finder at Harbor Freight. Dont know if they still have them. I sat down at the level of my mount, held one side of the angle finder relatively horizontal and moved the other side to clear obstacles. I did this for 8 compass points. Then I drew those into the custom drawn horizon box in horizon and atmosphere options. I used a tablet to do the drawing, much easier. I also created a note with all those values incase something happened.

#3 fetoma

fetoma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

That sounds feasible, but there should be some way to do it with slewing the scope to different points and collecting the data that way, don't you think?

#4 frolinmod

frolinmod

Vanguard

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yes, in "TheSky6->Telescope->Telescope Line Editor" there is a "Continuously Follow Telescope" (or something like that) feature.

In TheSkyX it's the "TheSkyX->Telescope->Telescope Limits->Lower Altitude Limit->Follow Telescope" checkbox.

You then use the hand controller or what have you to slew the telescope around. Wherever the telescope is pointed is what is drawn / defines the limit.

#5 fetoma

fetoma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

You effin' rock frolinmod!:thanx:

ISSUE
I want to use my telescope to draw my local horizon line using the position of the telescope. Is this possible?

RESOLUTION
Use TheSky6's Telescope | Line Editor to draw your local horizon line. Here's how to configure TheSky6 to do so:

1. Turn off the "photographic horizon" by clicking View | Real Mode Options and then clear the "Horizon Picture" option. User-defined horizons are not shown unless the photographic horizon is turned off.
2. Click Telescope | Setup, select your telescope from the list and then click OK.
3. Click Telescope | Link | Establish.
4. If required for your telescope, synchronize the telescope at a known point, preferably near the local horizon.
5. Slew the telescope to a "starting position" (such as due south) to draw the local horizon.
5. Click Telescope | Line Editor, and then click the "Horizon Line" option and the "Continuously Follow Telescope" option.
6. Use the telescope's hand paddle to slew the telescope. The local horizon will be drawn based upon the position of the telescope's cross hairs on the Virtual Sky.

#6 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

It is true you can do what Frolinmod suggests but you need to be really good with your slew buttons. Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of ziggy-zaggys.

#7 frolinmod

frolinmod

Vanguard

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

Yup, the movements when looking through the finder scope or sighting along the tube at terrestrial targets are non-intuitive so you do need to take your time. This "follow telescope" feature is an important one to me. So important that I lobbied for it to be added to TheSkyX after I upgraded and found it hadn't been carried over from TheSky6. I'd been using it for over a decade with TheSky5/6.

#8 fetoma

fetoma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

I tried it and of course I goofed it up big time. It is extremely tedious work to say the least.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics