•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

In the process of Building my Observatory.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
554 replies to this topic

#551 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

Okay,Just bit the bullet and purchased an Aleko Sliding Gate Opener,Model AR1450. I hope I made the right choice here.
http://www.amazon.co...nds/dp/B007V...

I got mine on E Bay and it includes 18' of track with shipping included for $239.00. I am a little nervous about this purchase because I have never installed one before. Should be here by next Tuesday,the 6th.

#552 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

Hello again.  You can tell it has been a while since I had made the purchase the Aleko Gate Opener to operate the roof of my observatory.

Originally I was planning on attaching the Opener to the exterior,south side of the Observatory,under the overhang, as I was unsure how it could be attached inside. A good friend of mine and fellow CN member John J,had been over the week before and made some suggestions on how it could be attached.Needless to say I had taken his advice.

On this past Sunday I started on the upgrade by adding the necessary supports to allow the installation.

What I needed was a 16 foot long 2"X6" that would be cut down to the proper length of 15 feet. 

Now my truck bed is only 6 1/2' long so I opted to get 2-8' long pieces instead and end join them using the ship lap method then gluing and screwing on a 4 foot length of 3/4" plywood that was 5.5 inches in width,the same as the 2x6, over the joint to add rigidity. 

Yesterday morning,JJ came over and gave me the much appreciated assistance and advice. There is no way I could have gotten it accomplished without his help. I am including a short video showing the result. Thanks John for your help.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ucVdyz1UGuY

Edited by tim57064, 29 April 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#553 Footbag

Footbag

Cosmos

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

Awesome job!  I was going to laugh that you have speakers in your observatory.  Then I saw the guitars!  Now that's a man cave!

#554 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

Thanks Adam.Now I need to get in gear and give the TPO 8 RC it's first light. I have actually taken the bass guitars out of the obs since I do worry about moisture from dew.As far as the speakers go,I just cover them up when the roof is open to the night sky. 

Edited by tim57064, 29 April 2015 - 04:26 PM.

#555 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

That Gate motor did not even brake a sweet , That's a grate idea using a Gate motor and Gear track and comes with remote also . :waytogo:

Where I use to work we had a gate with wheels that had to be pushed some what up hill every morning . Me being the Manager and the first one there and the last one to leave , it was my job to open and close the thing , Where was John when I needed him :lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics