•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Miscellany

• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#501 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:44 AM

1888 star atlas to 6.5 from -34 north - by Hermann J. Klein - free download - look for gear icon dropdown list for PDF.

Did not know this existed until today! Ideal companion for Webb. Star maps are rather primitive in comparison to today. In particular, constellation boundaries had not been formalized. Nevertheless this atlas feels modern.

https://books.google...epage&q&f=false

-drl

• clamchip, steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#502 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

I haven't seen this before, Celestron's rich history:

https://www.celestro...ns-rich-history

Robert

• Mr Magoo, Exnihilo and rcwolpert like this

#503 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

1888 star atlas to 6.5 from -34 north - by Hermann J. Klein - free download - look for gear icon dropdown list for PDF.

Did not know this existed until today! Ideal companion for Webb. Star maps are rather primitive in comparison to today. In particular, constellation boundaries had not been formalized. Nevertheless this atlas feels modern.

https://books.google...epage&q&f=false

-drl

This must be beautiful book. The maps are clearly colored plates with an overlay of wax tissue as was done at the time, probably to prevent the ink from bleeding. The DSOs are numbered according to John Herschel's General Catalog (GC), whence the N in Dreyer's NGC, which was a new GC. The GC is more or less forgotten today and this is the first atlas I've seen using its identifiers. Norton's of course uses William Herschel's baroque notation which predates the GC.

It's strange to see constellation boundaries just drawn around stars as if one were corralling horses. But even those boundaries had a degree of formality. They were defined by Friedrich Argelander in his own star atlas of 1843. The boundaries we now know, precisely defined runs of RA and DEC at epoch B1875, were not formally adopted until 1930. Early versions of Norton's have the old Argelander corrals.

The star positions seem very carefully recorded, and it's really amazing how much precession has shifted things around just in 130 years.

-drl

• steve t likes this

#504 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: A stone’s throw from the first observatory west of the Alleghenies

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

I just got around to reading this wonderful, touching post and I wanted to share it with my Classic friends in this forum.

https://www.cloudyni...as-all-it-took/

You owe it to yourself to read it. It will make you feel good for the rest of the day! :)

• semiosteve, deSitter, steve t and 4 others like this

#505 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

I haven't seen this before, Celestron's rich history:

https://www.celestro...ns-rich-history

Robert

Frankly illustrates their ignorance of their own history.  That "1970" C8 isn't.  more like 75.  The earlier ones would be tricolors.

-Tim

• deSitter likes this

#506 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:48 PM

Hey Tim did y'all ever talk about lab coats vs. telescope honeys for advertising?

:)

-drl

• tim53 likes this

#507 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• Loc: NEOhio

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:40 AM

I just got around to reading this wonderful, touching post and I wanted to share it with my Classic friends in this forum.

You owe it to yourself to read it. It will make you feel good for the rest of the day! smile.gif

Thanks for pointing this out. Our stories may differ in particulars, but resonate at a deeper level. I suspect that a lifetime with the stars changes you; intimacy, awe, beauty, its hard to describe but I think it shows in this post as Terra noted, its well worth reading. For me it is like a one page version of reading Leslie Peltier Starlight Nights - maybe better because it includes family.

I like to think that folks here who can appreciate this "touching post" are part of my extended family whether we know each other or not.

• deSitter, terraclarke, Bonco2 and 2 others like this

#508 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

Well said Steve! My sentiments exactly! heart.png

• semiosteve likes this

#509 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southern Connecticut

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:31 PM

You owe it to yourself to read it. It will make you feel good for the rest of the day! smile.gif

Terra   thanks so much for turning us on to this eloquent and inspiring post............just what we needed.

b

#510 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

The heat is over in Delaware and it is a beautiful evening . So I have the my old Coulter 13.1"  setup waiting for darkness and a  nice trip around the sky. The old beast has a 4.25 f/4 mounted on the back, that they sold as a kit and the mount is wired up with my homemade digital setting circle WIFI interface that talks to SkySafari. With it I can an object I want to observer in under a minute.  I'll  pop in my 28mm Classic Pretoria coma corrected eyepiece for pinpoint star images out the edge of the field the way I'll go.

- Dave  

Attached Thumbnails

• coulter1.jpg
  • Coulter2.jpg

• deSitter, CharlieB, wfj and 12 others like this

#511 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

Very nice.  Did you have to refigure that mirror?

#512 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

The mirror isn't a dog like some so I haven't touched it.  It is on the retirement list to refigure it. Yep "optical snob Dave" does use 1/2 wave optics. The old beast with the 28mm Pretoria gives an nice view and is great for DeepSky. Saw Venus, Jupiter and Mercury so far. BTW  the GRS is easily visible now. Waiting for it to get  good and dark so I  can scan the Summer Milky Way.  Really enjoy the nebulas in Sagittarius  and Scorpio  The Push To DSC system that talks to Sky Safari is what I really enjoy. I'll easily view 50 objects tonight and it will take me a 1 minute to find what I want to observe. Plus Sky Safari show me the sky around were I'm pointed and stuff that I can observe right there.  

- Dave 

• tim53, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#513 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:09 AM

I might buy this.

https://www.prohocke...ant=39889534660

-drl

• Garyth64 and jcruse64 like this

#514 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:32 AM

I might buy this.

https://www.prohocke...ant=39889534660

-drl

What does that have to do with classic telescopes. Seems like a post for OTO! :foreheadslap:

#515 shredder1656

shredder1656

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:03 AM

What does that have to do with classic telescopes. Seems like a post for OTO! :foreheadslap:

C'mon, Terra. :) ;) Even a greenhorn like me caught the name on the jersey. Aren't Messier objects classics?

Edited by shredder1656, 09 July 2018 - 09:04 AM.

#516 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

Oh, okay! Sorry, all I saw was hockey! :lol:

(I always hate a game I can’t understand!) :confused:

#517 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

Oh, okay! Sorry, all I saw was hockey! lol.gif

(I always hate a game I can’t understand!) confused1.gif

I was googling for pics of M11 because visually last night the central star was WAY brighter than I remembered - and that came up! I want it! Plus he was a great player before he let the Rangers steal his soul.

-drl

• terraclarke likes this

#518 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:34 PM

When I was living in Michigan working for NWA as a flight attendant I had a b/f that was a huge Redwings fan. He tried and tried to teach me how hockey worked. It was hopeless. And all he wanted to do was stay home and watch the Redwings on TV. Needless to say, that relationship did not end well. :lol:

• PaulEK, clamchip, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics