•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Miscellany

• Please log in to reply
644 replies to this topic

#626 steve t

steve t

Messenger

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:08 PM

Hi Robert ,

Thanks for the link to Return to Starlight Nights.

Steve T 

Edited by steve t, 10 January 2019 - 09:09 PM.

• clamchip likes this

#627 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

I recently had two of my treasured antique astronomy books repaired at the Chester Bookworm in Chester VT. They did a wonderful job rebinding the books at  a very reasonable cost and with only a weeks turn around from the time I mailed them.  So if any of your books need repair I highly recommend them. https://sites.google...hesterbookworm/

- Dave 

• tim53, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#628 KentTolley

KentTolley

Messenger

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

No right place for this so miscellaneous. 

While rewiring the '63 Cave Astrola Deluxe mount, I found this hand-stamped makers mark on the tab attaching the polar housing to the pier cap.  This is the deluxe mount in the Red Catalog.

Attached Thumbnails

• rsz_120190119_140838.jpg

Edited by KentTolley, 19 January 2019 - 05:37 PM.

• tim53, Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#629 KentTolley

KentTolley

Messenger

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

Closer

Attached Thumbnails

• rsz_20190119_141132.jpg

• tim53, Exnihilo and TOM KIEHL like this

#630 steve t

steve t

Messenger

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:42 AM

I recently had two of my treasured antique astronomy books repaired at the Chester Bookworm in Chester VT. They did a wonderful job rebinding the books at  a very reasonable cost and with only a weeks turn around from the time I mailed them.  So if any of your books need repair I highly recommend them. https://sites.google...hesterbookworm/

- Dave 

Dave

Thanks for the link. I've got a book that has sentimental value to me  but is in very sad shape. I'll  check these folks out.

Steve T 

#631 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

BB's DPAC Rig Model 3 is done.  The big gray box is gone.  It's a much simpler apparatus.  I took an old 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter, taped a Ronchi screen across it, mounted green & red LEDs in a cardboard crescent (with a glare shield), and positioned this to lightly touch the screen.  Switching colors takes maybe a minute.  I kept all the electrical hardware, including the digital "dimmer" switch.  I think this version will make better photos, but I won't try that until the weekend -- still recovering from a very bad head cold.

• steve t, KentTolley, TOM KIEHL and 1 other like this

#632 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

I'm going to put this here for safe keeping,

opening a drive gear case:

https://www.cloudyni...y/#entry4657046

I haven't done this myself, but I do have a 62 year old Cave drive that's not as

quiet as a church mouse no more, suppose it could use a drop or a dollop.

Robert 

Edited by clamchip, 22 February 2019 - 01:31 PM.

• DreamWeaver, mfalls and Bomber Bob like this

#633 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

Some Royal clues:  I was home today recovering from an FJI treatment this morning.  I just finished cleaning & aligning a Tasco 7TE-5 objective, and it dawned on me...  The spacers on most Royal lenses touch the lens edge, but on this one, all 3 are set in about 0.5mm, such that the corners almost touch the edge.  I've seen this before on a few other Royal 60 & 76 lenses.  Makes me wonder:  Was this the technique of a particular small lens maker that supplied some Royal refractors?  If we examine enough Royal, Towa, or Yamamoto objectives, would we see other subtle differences that point to specific makers?  I had assumed that different edge alignment marks (X, slash, double/triple slash) denoted an individual, but who knows?

#634 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

Interesting...

#635 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

Some Royal clues:  I was home today recovering from an FJI treatment this morning.  I just finished cleaning & aligning a Tasco 7TE-5 objective, and it dawned on me...  The spacers on most Royal lenses touch the lens edge, but on this one, all 3 are set in about 0.5mm, such that the corners almost touch the edge.  I've seen this before on a few other Royal 60 & 76 lenses.  Makes me wonder:  Was this the technique of a particular small lens maker that supplied some Royal refractors?  If we examine enough Royal, Towa, or Yamamoto objectives, would we see other subtle differences that point to specific makers?  I had assumed that different edge alignment marks (X, slash, double/triple slash) denoted an individual, but who knows?

Best I can recall on all the 1958 to 1969 date range 60mm and 76mm Astro Optical Co aka Royal is that on those objectives the spacers were located right next to the beveled edge of the objective or very close. Some are not on square to the edge as well. But close that I never gave it much thought TBH. On ones I've replaced the spacers, I just put back where the original ghost image is of the original spacers when present. Some could very well be close to a half mm from the edge, though most are not. Roughly speaking that would be on around 30+ AOC scopes I've owned or still have. I'd say the AOC specs for spacer location was to be next to the beveled edge within a half mm or less.

I would guess is just comes down to the skill of the person setting the spacer in place and how fast the optical cement set up. Maybe not much time to adjust, so close enough was good enough unless it was way off location.

With respect to AOC objectives and alignment marks. There is a pattern to what types of marks are on the sides albeit for location and also the high or low edge used to adjust for wedge I assume. Also the color of the pencil markings using red and blue are found on earlier objectives.

This pattern/color of alignment marks correlate to date and serial number range of the objectives.

More detail on this later when I get time. Have go back and look at pics of ones I've had apart to confirm approx date ranges. Again this is for AOC objectives.

#636 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

My Sears 6336 - a 1963/64 Royal has a red X.  My 1960s Lafayette Galactic had a single vertical red Line.  IIRC, my 1956 Space Scope 151 - an ASC product - had a single red Slash.

I'll have to dig through the folders, too.  I didn't always take pix of the lenses out of their cells with the alignment mark(s) showing.

Like I say, it could be nothing, or points to the person who made / assembled / tested the objective...

If anyone can find a pattern for the Astro lenses, it's Stephen!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 26 February 2019 - 06:50 PM.

#637 Ducky62

Ducky62

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The ATL

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:51 AM

My apologies if these were already linked:

1988 Vixen catalog in Italian:

http://www.specola.a...N1988AURIGA.pdf

(there are hi-res scans of manuals for small Japanese telescopes at this site)

edit: there are all kinds of catalogs and manuals here including Polarex

http://www.specola.a.../documenti.html

Museum of Astronomical Telescopes  Japan:

http://www.telescope-museum.com/

Edited by Ducky62, 01 March 2019 - 01:08 AM.

• clamchip likes this

#638 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:55 AM

I'd love to visit the telescope museum.

On the map I see a park and a grocery store, naw, I'm to old for economy holiday I

will go in style, okay maybe a few nights under the stars.

When my brother and I were young be traveled all of Europe on a motorcycle and

lived like that.  4000 mi. and most meals were from grocery stores and many a night

sleeping in parks. 

Every second or third day we would stay in a bed and breakfast and eat a real meal.

We could not have afforded the trip without going economy.

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 01 March 2019 - 10:59 AM.

• KentTolley, Piggyback and jcruse64 like this

#639 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

The farmers market by the telescope museum in Kagawa has amazing soba noodles and there was a sake brewer on premise who also did amazing work, if that helps ;-)

I plan to go back sometime, it was amazing before official opening.  The whole area is beautiful, much more countryside than urban so completely unlike Tokyo environs.

Dave

• clamchip likes this

#640 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:40 PM

I ran across this manual on telescopes, gunsights, rangefinders, and many other optical

instruments within the pages:

http://www.90thidpg....1944, Vol 2.pdf

Robert

• BillB9430, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#641 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:03 PM

Wander down the page to the C8 with the cracked corrector, interesting:

https://www.scoperev.../page1aa.html#1

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 09 March 2019 - 01:05 PM.

#642 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

His optical tests aren't critical enough to show any issues. For example the out of focus image of some object, the image is  too far out of focus to show anything,  so misleading that the crack has  no or little effect.  This is why you see claims of "1/10 wave" optics or "perfect star tests" when correctly tested you really have much worse. 

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 11 March 2019 - 11:05 AM.

• clamchip, Bomber Bob and Steve Allison like this

#643 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:43 AM

Excellent work  'Astronomy of To-Day' here:

https://www.gutenber...0-h/28570-h.htm

Robert

#644 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

This Celestron/Vixen (80mm?) sold recently on GW.

Has anybody ever seen this model?

Note the plain flat surface where a finder usually goes.

Celestron-?.jpg

More pics:

https://www.shopgood...m/Item/64036875

#645 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

I had the above telescope on a sturdy table mount. The focusing tube caused vignetting to the point where it was closer to a 60-70mm scope aperture-wise.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics