•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Miscellany

• Please log in to reply
1132 replies to this topic

#1101 GreyDay

GreyDay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:46 AM

I always wanted to learn machining, but never had the opportunity after that. It would come in so handy with so many of my telescope repair projects.

Me too! We had two lathes at school but only the teacher ever used them, he was running his own mini business during schooltime. How he got away with it i'll never know.

I have considered buying a hobby lathe but just never got round to it.

• steve t likes this

#1102 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 21 December 2020 - 11:14 AM

A metal lathe is perfect for telescope restoration and building.

Certainly not a essential tool though.

My first lathe was a Atlas 10 inch bought very inexpensively and I taught myself to use it.

I learned the basics in school but really learned to use the lathe at home.

A metal lathe will let you know if your doing it wrong, bad noises, poor finish, etc.

My grandfather in law left me his Southbend 10 inch which is my lathe now, and I sold the

Atlas.

I remember well metal shop at first was hand tools, a sheet metal pan, and hand filing a

one inch cube of aluminum into a round ball.

I can't remember how or when we were able to use the machine tools, if it was a advanced

class or not, I can't remember. It does make complete sense though, for safety's sake. 

And I remember charging up a few big capacitors too! the person sitting next to you's buttocks'

was a good place to discharge it !

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 21 December 2020 - 11:40 AM.

• Mr Magoo, steve t, mdowns and 2 others like this

#1103 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 21 December 2020 - 12:16 PM

My parents encouraged me to take science and math in high school, though I did manage to take auto shop one year.  I was a senior when our high school offered electives for the first time.  So I took aeronautics.  That was one of the most interesting classes I've ever had, including throughout grad school.

I learned how to operate a lathe on Meade's 14x22 Cadillac gap-bed lathes.  Heavy and very capable machines.  But it was decades before I bought one of my own - my current favorite a 1930s Champion Blower and Forge 9".  Since then, I've acquired a Craftsmen 6x18 lathe with tons of tooling, a 9" South Bend missing most change gears but in very nice condition, and a ~1910 Sebastian treadle lathe in very good condition.  I had to make a new treadle for it, and it's still missing some small, but fabricatable parts.

-Tim

• Mr Magoo, clamchip, steve t and 3 others like this

#1104 Dave Cook

Dave Cook

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:05 AM

A lathe and a mill are seriously handy for astronomy projects (and high power rocketry, my other big hobby).  I started with the cheapest possible HF 7x10 mini-lathe several years ago...it's had a bunch of upgrades like Japanese tapered roller bearings and larger 3 and 4-jaw chucks, and can do a lot of things in aluminum and plastic, but it's really limited on workpiece size.   

Overall I'm pretty much self-taught...never had any classes except one in Jr. High where all we really did was bend some sheet metal.  Nowadays there is a ton of great information on various YouTube channels and forums like practical machinist and CNCzone, so I'm not feeling any lack of information.

Lately I'm looking to get into a 14x40 or 16x40 lathe so I can make bigger/longer parts and not have to spend so much time trying to keep everything tight.  I'd love to get my hands on a WWII vintage Monarch model K or similar and restore it, but I just totally don't have the space for a 4 ton behemoth that wouldn't be in service for several months.  Still, I'd like to be able to make parts for maybe ~12" OTAs, so I'm probably headed for a good new Taiwanese manual lathe that will swing at least 14".

Last year I spent a huge amount of time doing a CNC conversion on a Precision Matthews PM-30MV mill.  That turned out pretty well (and was a great learning experience) and really expanded the variety of things I can make.  It has about the same work envelope as a Tormach 1100 though not the same RPMs.  I'd love to try my hand at making a couple of GEMs from scratch, but I still have a ways to go to be ready.  Too much to do, not enough time...

• clamchip, steve t, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#1105 GreyDay

GreyDay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 22 December 2020 - 05:09 AM

I'd love to try my hand at making a couple of GEMs from scratch

There's a guy locally who does sand casting of aluminium parts, i asked  him if he could make a GEM but the price was far beyond what i expected. The cost was down to making the wooden "plug" that he'd need to make the mould. I've looked at youtube video's and it doesn't look that hard... but it does look scary if it goes wrong.

• clamchip, steve t, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#1106 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 22 December 2020 - 12:56 PM

Late 60's, our metal shop teacher wouldn't let us touch any of the machine tools. We got to use the shear, the brake, and a spot welder. I think I got to run an arc welder for about 2". Same deal in the wood shop - despite a full floor of power tools, only used hand tools. I think it was a combination of liability and budget cuts. 

I had the electronics shop as my home room. We blew up a big electrolytic (ricochetted around the room at least three times) and blasted the end off of a screw driver with a half farad capacitor we spent an hour charging. Had a ham radio station in the room. Acid-etched our own circuit boards. Because the teacher had a full wood shop at home, some of us got actual wood shop instruction outside of school. He also sponsored me building a darkroom for the school, and taught me how to mix chemistry, process film and prints, etc. Gruff old guy, who I think just blew off the rules, and believed that kids could be smart enough to stay safe if they knew the risks. 

I always wanted to learn machining, but never had the opportunity after that. It would come in so handy with so many of my telescope repair projects. 

Chip W. 

Exploding capacitors... Back in the late 1980s one of my roommates came home one day with a bass amp head he'd "rescued" from someone's trash. Thee was a burnt out capacitor, which he replaced with a new one of the right capacitance but rated at about half the proper voltage. He powered on the amp, and plugged in his bass. Sounded fantastic - for about 20 seconds, then the under-rated capacitor exploded and filled the room with smoke and bits of foil.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#1107 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:40 PM

Does anyone know where the telescope objective lens site is that lists

the lenses by aperture (example: 40mm - 100mm, 101mm - 127mm, etc.) and by

maker and where seen (example: Clark 100mm, ebay, etc.) I can't find it.

Maybe it's gone and if so that's a real shame because it is/was a great research

reference resource.

Robert

I found it ! 

30mm thru 500mm lenses:

http://alag3.mfa.kfk...lenses/80mm.htm

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 22 December 2020 - 08:17 PM.

• tim53 and Macguyver909 like this

#1108 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 05 January 2021 - 11:41 AM

I post this link here for a couple of reasons. One, it’s of my era and it interested me, and I think it might interest you as well. And secondly, it mentions titanium-alloy used in the aerospace industry, and that reminded me of Robert’s (clamship) telescope named Gort. So, if interested, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

PS- It has nothing to do with classic telescopes and everything to do with the times in which many of them, (and us), were made.

https://www.popsci.c...pyplane-area51/

• Mr Magoo, John Rogers, clamchip and 4 others like this

#1109 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2021 - 12:23 PM

Castle Air Museum has a SR71, and a B36. I could have spent the whole summer

there!

https://www.castleai....org/collection

Here's Gort, in case you haven't met him:

Robert

post-50896-0-80072300-1588524719.jpg

• Mr Magoo, Terra Nova and oldmanastro like this

#1110 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

I would like to see a B36 fly.  I probably did when I was little, but can't remember.

#1111 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:39 PM