•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Miscellany

• Please log in to reply
1760 replies to this topic

#1751 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 29 June 2024 - 12:06 PM

That is taking me back a ways, lol. Thanks.

Issue 1/1 story 1 is by Jules Verne. "Off on a Comet" - main character Professor Servadac - Cadavres (French spelling) backward.

-drl

• Terra Nova likes this

#1752 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 03 July 2024 - 11:55 AM

Issue 1/1 story 1 is by Jules Verne. "Off on a Comet" - main character Professor Servadac - Cadavres (French spelling) backward.

-drl

I’ve read To The Sun and its sequel Off On A Comet several times over the years. It’s a wonderful pair of novels, by my favorite author. I have read over forty novels by Jules Verne and have a full bookshelf in my library devoted to him. He has written several astronomy themes works. In addition to the two above, there is From The Earth To The Moon and it’s sequel Round the Moon, and yet a third companion piece The Purchase Of The North Pole AKA Topsy Turvy or the further adventures of the Baltimore Gun Club. Another is Hunt For the Meteor aka The Chase For The Golden Meteor which features the exploits of two competing amateur astronomers. And many of his other works touch on astronomical subjects here and there, The Mysterious Island for instance where the balloonists calculate their geographic position. As far as comic books go, some of Jules Verne’s novels are also Classics Illustrated Comic Books.

• deSitter, steve t, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#1753 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 03 July 2024 - 11:59 AM

I’ve read To The Sun and its sequel Off On A Comet several times over the years. It’s a wonderful pair of novels, by my favorite author. I have read over forty novels by Jules Verne and have a full bookshelf in my library devoted to him. He has written several astronomy themes works. In addition to the two above, there is From The Earth To The Moon and it’s sequel Round the Moon, and yet a third companion piece The Purchase Of The North Pole AKA Topsy Turvy or the further adventures of the Baltimore Gun Club. Another is Hunt For the Meteor aka The Chase For The Golden Meteor which features the exploits of two competing amateur astronomers. And many of his other works touch on astronomical subjects here and there, The Mysterious Island for instance where the balloonists calculate their geographic position. As far as comic books go, some of Jules Verne’s novels are also Classics Illustrated Comic Books.

His grave in Amiens was later altered shall we say - with this very weird nod to immortality!

-drl

Attached Thumbnails

• 449682834_7538962629559298_7116384731894402728_n.jpg

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and jcruse64 like this

#1754 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 03 July 2024 - 11:59 AM

And now, as Monty Python would say, time for something completely different. This isn’t classic per se, but I think it’s very cool and as many of you are ATMs and tinkerers, I think this would interest you.

https://www.analogsky.co/magic

Since the topic isn’t classic, please do not discuss it here, but you may join the discussion here instead:

https://www.cloudyni...1871-analogsky/

• deSitter, John Rogers, brian dewelles and 3 others like this

#1755 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Gemini

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 06 July 2024 - 08:35 PM

That looks pretty cool. I’m definitely intrigued by this. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#1756 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 08 July 2024 - 10:23 PM

I have been experiencing a long period of bad astro weather. It led me to do some reorganization of my astronomy library and while doing so I encountered my classic Roy A. Gallant books. I picked these up more than 25 years ago and it has been quite a while since I opened one up and remembered why I got them. The illustrations are just fantastic, colorful and beautiful. Look at these examples from the Mars and Jupiter books. I tried flattening up the pages as much as I could. Just look at the size of the GRS. I spent quite some time reading and admiring the works of art in these books. Now I want to show them to my eldest granddaughter. I am sure she will enjoy them with grandpa.

Attached Thumbnails

• GallantJupiter.jpg
  • GallantMars2.jpg
  • GallantMars.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, deSitter, tim53 and 6 others like this

#1757 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 08 July 2024 - 10:31 PM

I have been experiencing a long period of bad astro weather. It led me to do some reorganization of my astronomy library and while doing so I encountered my classic Roy A. Gallant books. I picked these up more than 25 years ago and it has been quite a while since I opened one up and remembered why I got them. The illustrations are just fantastic, colorful and beautiful. Look at these examples from the Mars and Jupiter books. I tried flattening up the pages as much as I could. Just look at the size of the GRS. I spent quite some time reading and admiring the works of art in these books. Now I want to show them to my eldest granddaughter. I am sure she will enjoy them with grandpa.

Not exactly verisimilitude - are these for kids?

-drl

#1758 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 08 July 2024 - 10:45 PM

Not exactly verisimilitude - are these for kids?

-drl

Definitely directed at kids and my granddaughter is the right age now for them. I will update the information and images with modern ones. The illustrations are now classics not similar in any way to what we see now but very 50s.  It's a whole series of science books from that era.

• deSitter likes this

#1759 tim53

tim53

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 08 July 2024 - 11:18 PM

As a kid in the early 60s, I had Roy Gallant's "Space Nomads" and "The ABCs of Astronomy". 

#1760 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vanguard

• Loc: 48° 16′ 8.4″ N, 225° 59′ 24″ W

Posted 10 July 2024 - 07:14 AM

Lowell (and others) spent years observing those Martian canals - took a Mariner flyby to solidly disprove them...

#1761 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 10 July 2024 - 07:51 AM

Lowell (and others) spent years observing those Martian canals - took a Mariner flyby to solidly disprove them...

And to finally destroy the plots of many a classic science fiction story

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics