•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Coulter Odyssey 2, aarrrghh!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:39 AM

Hi folks. ebay just ran an auction for an old Coulter Odyssey 2 17 inch scope, which went for $550. I had to pass on it for financial reasons (and its been screaming in my head for the last two days!).

Just for the sake of curiosity, does anyone know what the production numbers of this model were- how many were made?

Also, Coulter made a 29 inch model as well- anyone know about these?

Thanks,
Jess Tauber

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:11 AM

Coulter is long gone and I doubt that such numbers are available. They only made a few of the 29" monsters and it took a small army to set them up. Rumor has it that they didn't perform at all well.

#3 Chris G

Chris G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:49 AM

I bought an Odyssey Compact 10.1" in 1991 and had it until 2003, had lots of good nights with that. Sure the focuser was made from plumbing supplies and was the first thing I changed but back then they were the only reasonably (cheap) dob going. I happened to get one with a very good mirror.

Too bad there aren't some records available on them.

#4 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:57 AM

Chris hit the nail on the head. Back then there were no Hardin's and Orion dobs were pretty expensive, further Discovery didn't exist {as a seperate company} and Meade didn't do the Starfinder newts till 1993? maybe?

Nowadays people have alot of choies and the quality of the scopes are better as a whole.

#5 Jim Romanski

Jim Romanski

Vanguard

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:54 PM

Coulter paved the way. There are many excellent Coulter mirrors out there. I'd put my 13.1 up against any Newt made today. Of course I put on a nice finder and focuser.

#6 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:39 PM

There are a lot of junk Coulter mirrors out there too. Most of the 13.1 and smaller ones were pretty good. They had a lot of bad 17.5" mirrors out there though.

#7 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:53 PM

I have a 10.1 Coulter, but purchased sight-unseen (except for pics) from an ebay auction. Good price (less than $200, but no perks except a decent focuser, and a good old Celestron ep). Turns out the late father of the the seller had been a little too diligent in cleaning the primary, which has very many light scratches, enough to significantly reduce contrast- the sky isn't black, its pale green/gray.

I haven't decided to have it recoated (assuming the scratches are only skin-deep) or just sell it off.

I didn't know that lots of bad O2 mirrors existed- I have heard a lot were over/undercorrected- question is how bad?

My dream was to get TWO big Coulter mirrors and build a giant low budget binoscope.

Jess Tauber

#8 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:22 PM

Our club has a 17.5" Coulter. Got my first look through it last Sat nite. Not enough time or experience to declare it good or bad, but it is big.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics