•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Celestron C90 - 1000mm F/11 Maksutov - Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:58 PM

I came across a mint/like new Celestron C90 - 1000mm F/11 Maksutok Telescope with a Celestron 5x24 Finder Scope today at an estate sale. The scope and finder are mostly a beautiful orange color with some parts in black and others in grey. It comes in it's original case and with all the original paperwork, instructions and the original purchase receipt which is dated 1984. It has a tripod mount plate. There are many accessories, two smal but high quality tripods, several eyepieces and all other needed accessories. It is a fully fuctional set-up. I have a SV80/9D. I am not familiar with this type of telescope. Any input and/or advise will be appreciated. I am amazed at how small and compact this telescope is. Are these old systems worthy pieces of equipment? Are they desireable as collectibles? Do they have any vale as such?

Thanks for your input, JohnnyFlake

#2 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:00 PM

It's a nice scope from what I hear, but obsolete and difficult to find parts for. There's some question about the optics quality on some C90s. See the discussion here.

Therefore, I wouldn't buy it unless it's significantly cheaper than equivalent models like Meade's ETX90 and Orion's 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:57 PM

I actually had already purchased the scope with all the accessories and two small, but very high quality tripods before my first post. It sold for a price I could not pass up($50.00). I looked everything over again today and I honestly doubt that the scope, accessories, etc. have ever been used. There are no marks, scratches, scuffs or any sign of wear anywhere. I plan to study all the materal & instruction booklet that came with the set-up and then give it a first light sometime in the next week or two. As I stated earlier, I am amazed at how small and compact the scope is. *Word deleted by the CN gnaughties gnomes*, the scope, with accessories and tripods all fit into a padded case that's about the size of a large fishing tackle box. I may just have found myself the ultimate pick-up and go 90mm system available!

JohnnyFlake

#4 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:23 PM

At that price, I'd have bought it and a dozen more if they were available! Great deal, and I hope you enjoy it. Give us a report on your first light with it.

#5 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:29 PM

Yes, for $50 it's hard to go wrong. Should be great for planets, doubles and bright DSOs. When it's dark out it'll be even better.

#6 Oldfield

Oldfield

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:59 PM

C90 is my first telescope, it's of decent quality and it's a very good telescope.

As a newbie at that time, I found it quite hard to point at anything since it has rather long focal length, also you're limited to 0.965" eyepiece unless you also got the hybrid diagonal.

Get yourself a finderscope if you don't have one, and then you're going to have a lot of fun with it.

The only thing which I don't quite like is its focusing mechanism, you rotate the whole barrel and it's shaky by nature.

#7 TimD

TimD

Apollo

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:46 PM

I have a C-90 Orange tube that I just purchased 6 months ago, I have previously owned 2 other c-90's with black tubes and although I can't speak for everyone, The orange tube C-90 blows the others away. I suppose it might come down to individual scopes and to that the ones from the mid 1980's seem to be more problematic to me. Though it's vintage it comes close in views to my ETX-90 Meade, The meade is a bit sharper and the color seems a tad better, but the C-90 astro when mounted on the original wedge with triangle tripod is way sturdier and far more free from vibration than the ETX-90 I have. Of course the is virtually no plastic anywhere on the C-90. I think you may be surprised with the views, but the smaller aperture does like the darker skies, especially with DSO's.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics