•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a picture of your Cat

• Please log in to reply
1604 replies to this topic

#1601 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:28 PM

My recently refurbed Celestron Astro C90. Early today I took it completely apart, cleaned off the old grease from the focus threads and altitude axis, and replaced in with a thin coat of Mobile 1 synthetic grease. The focus is now nice'n tight and the mount motions are smooth. This little C90s make great grab'b go scopes! We always take one with us when we travel.

Astro C90 (12-21-2018)-4.jpg

• Scott Beith, 3 i Guy, Starman27 and 9 others like this

#1602 greenjuice

greenjuice

Messenger

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 26 December 2018 - 06:44 PM

I got one as well recently. Also cleaned out old grease and replaced. Found some silicone bands that fit on the front of the tube which makes for much easier turning of the focuser barrel.

Got an SCT adapter ring which made it possible to use a 1.25" prism diagonal. Pretty good for wide-field views but gets a little dicey at higher mags.

Attached Thumbnails

• C90.jpg

Edited by greenjuice, 26 December 2018 - 06:52 PM.

• Scott Beith, Starman27 and Rustler46 like this

#1603 Rustler46

Rustler46

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 26 December 2018 - 06:59 PM

I got one as well recently. Also cleaned out old grease and replaced. Found some silicone bands that fit on the front of the tube which makes for much easier turning of the focuser barrel.

Got an SCT adapter ring which made it possible to use a 1.25" prism diagonal. Pretty good for wide-field views but gets a little dicey at higher mags.

Nice little grab-n-go setup, Mel. You mention the higher powers not being so good. At what magnification do things start to degrade?

• greenjuice likes this

#1604 greenjuice

greenjuice

Messenger

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

frown.gif I would say my 15 mm Plossl was more than my “floaters” could handle. But that’s just my old eyes. 

24mm Brandon is nice !

Edited by greenjuice, 26 December 2018 - 08:02 PM.

#1605 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Viking 1

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:12 PM

I used to have one in the late '80 through the mid-'90s and IIRC I could easily do around 120x with .965 eps. Nice little scopes. It saw a lot of use as a spotter and telephoto lens as well as a scope. Used it to photograph an eclipse with a homemade aluminized Mylar solar filter, one of which the local paper printed on the front page. It got a lot lunar light through it, as well. Surprisingly, one of my favorite objects was the Orion nebula. I have one of the new ones but it's not the same.

The pic is my sister using it with the original porro prism. I never adapted it to 1.25.

CCF07292015-2.jpg

• Scott Beith, Starman27 and greenjuice like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics