•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RIP Peter Smitka, creator of the Porta-Ball

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#26 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

RIP Peter.

Piloting my 1999 Portaball is like driving a sports car through the night sky. :bow:

As long as folks still explore the night skies with his marvelous telescopes, Peter lives on.

A true pioneer. :bow:

#27 spaceydee

spaceydee

Hubble

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm very sorry to hear of Peter's passing. Rest in peace Peter, and my sympathies go out to his family and friends.

#28 Michael Cave

Michael Cave

Messenger

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

I always stopped by his small portable shelter at Astrofest to talk with him, many times he wouldn't even be there so, I'd just sit and in a few he'd be back from his wanderings.
I had great fun with him a few times at Astrofest, he chuckled when I called him "The Man From Glad". I'm sure at all star parties, we've met some characters, Peter was a good one! R.I.P. Peter, hope you're having a ball wherever you are...

#29 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

I had the pleasure of speaking to Peter many times over the years. My first Portaball was the 10" and several years later I moved up to the 12.5". Peter was a wealth of information, and many of the most memorable views I have ever had were through the Portaballs. I have often said that if I could own only one telescope, it would be a Portaball. Thank you Peter, I will miss the talks!

#30 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

Very sorry to hear this.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics