•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using a Tak 106ED for visual

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 shiner

shiner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:31 AM

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these scopes that will primarily - 90% - be used for DSO AP. However, I also a keen lunar visual observer as well and the highly corrected quality of this scope would be ideal for this.

I am very aware that the 106ED has a optical element very close to the rear of the focuser. Will a 2" diagonal - WO 2" model - clear this optical element when inserted into the Tak 2" adapter? I have sometimes seen a 2" tube a few inches long coming out the back of the focuser into which a diagonal and TV EP's are inserted. What is this tube please?

In short, looking for guidance in using TV Eyepieces and 2" diagonal in the 106ED please?
Many thanks.

#2 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

Looking at the FSQ Visual system chart you would have a couple of adapters (TKP36001 and TKP30003) to which the 2" ocular adapter (TKP27110) screws, then your 2" diagonal and EPs.

#3 shiner

shiner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Thanks Matt.
For reference the reference chart is here:
http://www.takahashi...ystemcharts.php
Ideally, what I would like to do is use a Baader ClickLock adapter to connect the diagonal to.

Does anyone know which of these bits on the chart actually come with the 106ED when you buy the scope?
Thanks

#4 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

The standard compression model Tak 2" eyepiece adapter is about 40 mm long, my Astro Physics Maxbright 2" diagonal and my Baader Maxbright T-thread diagonals all fit into it without extending past the front of the adapter.
You should have not problems with that. ( BUT you should check any new piece of equipment before inserting it on that scope!). As for eyepieces, use either the Extender Q or your power mate 2x for more power (the Extender Q is especially well matched). I use a Leica ASPH zoom and Televue Ethos with my FSQ106N.
Rex

#5 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Matt.
For reference the reference chart is here:
http://www.takahashi...ystemcharts.php
Ideally, what I would like to do is use a Baader ClickLock adapter to connect the diagonal to.

Does anyone know which of these bits on the chart actually come with the 106ED when you buy the scope?
Thanks

The parts marked in red come with it.
Also, to use a click lock adapter, get the one with the Tak 72mm thread adapter;
web page
look under the Takahashi section for the 72mm adapter. ( but watch the overall length as this one may be al little shorter than the Tak 2" adapter.)

Rex

#6 andysea

andysea

Skylab

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

I thought that the FSQ106ED didn't have enough back focus for a standard diagonal.

#7 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

The ED model has about 178mm of in- focus ( minus about 5mm for the first adapter).
Tak 2" eyepiece adapter 40mm
2" diagonal about 104mm
Still leaves about 29mm , more than enough for any eyepiece.
Rex

#8 andysea

andysea

Skylab

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

Thanks Rex. Now that I know I will look through mine sometime.

#9 sydney

sydney

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

I use a WO 2" carbon fiber dielectric diagonal with my 6 month old FSQ106ED. No problems at all, even when I add a light pollution filter (Baader) onto the insert end of the diagonal.

p.s. the entire Veil and North America/Pelican Nebulae are incredible with a low power eyepiece and filter. So is sweeping the summer milky way. Did I also mention the unfiltered views of M31 and friends, Pleiades, double cluster etc.?

I use a Pentax 40 XW for my widest field (similar to TV 41 Pan). The exit pupil is large at about 8mm, but the views speak for themselves. With no secondary obstruction, a largish exit pupil in a refractor is not really a concern when observing wide fields.

#10 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

Thanks Rex. Now that I know I will look through mine sometime.

Be careful about that, your photography might start to suffer :roflmao:

#11 andysea

andysea

Skylab

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Haha not a chance!

#12 shiner

shiner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

So with a 2" diagonal focus can be achieved without a plethora of extension tunes and adaptors? Would someone be so kind as to tell me what totem pole of bits they have from the back of the scope please to get some televues up and running on a 106?
Many thanks!!! :)

#13 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

As shown on the FSQ106ED chart you posted above:
part 10
part 8
part 70
and the 2" diagonal of your choice!
Add ANY Ethos and (or) a Leica ASPH zoom for wonderful viewing.
Rex

#14 dawziecat

dawziecat

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

Well, I'm just here to louse everything up. :)

I have the EDXIII model (but no mount at the moment).
I tried to have a look through it. There was no target at a great distance . . . like infinity.

But, it quickly became apparent from the direction the focus was going I was NOT going to be able to reach focus with my 2" diagonal and 55mm Clave EP. The nosepiece on the diagonal was going up into the inside of the focuser on the FSQ, i.e., was very close to making contact with the rearmost Petzval element.

To reach focus with that diagonal, if I can at all, seems to require the tailpiece of the diagonal be removed and replaced with the TDR-0200 diagonal adapter. A picture of the Tak 2" diagonal mounted with this adapter was posted in this thread by Tamiji.

Seems to me this is the very raison d'etre for the TDR-0200, i.e., reaching focus with a 2" diagonal on Tak scopes?

I dunn'o about this. But it seems to me you will not be able to reach focus on the FSQ using the 2" ocular adapter. It will push the diagonal too far back.

If this is incorrect, I apologize for the error.

#15 shiner

shiner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

Is part 70 a compression adapter? And this is a 2" right? So would it take a 2" nosepiece from my camera? All the bits are confusing. The TAK chart seems to imply the CA-35 is a requirement for a CCD?

#16 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Terry you have the EDX111 the OP is talking about a ED, the difference is you have the CAA (which uses about 25mm of available in-focus) the ED does not have the CAA.
ED available in-focus 178mm
EDXIII available in-focus 153 mm
And yes the TDR0200 shortens the length of the Tak diagonal/compression adapter combo by about 35mm.
Rex

#17 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Is part 70 a compression adapter? And this is a 2" right? So would it take a 2" nosepiece from my camera? All the bits are confusing. The TAK chart seems to imply the CA-35 is a requirement for a CCD?

Yes the part 70 is the 2" compression adapter
AND yes you can attach a camera with a 2" nosepiece with it. (note: in the US the part numbers are different than in Europe here the part 70 is TOA0400) .

In fact I recommend using this method on light cameras (under about 4 lb) as it makes it easy to attach/remove the camera for setup/storage AND eats up some unwanted available In-focus so you don't have the focuser out so far to avoid sag in the focuser tube.

Takahashi would love to sell you many adapters (and their adapters are spaced to work well if you use a reducer on the scope to provide proper spacing for the reducer ) but are not really needed if you have a 2" nosepiece on the camera already and have extra available in-focus.
Rex
P.S. a safety lanyard is recommended on the camera to prevent dropping it if the screws are accidentally loosened.

#18 dawziecat

dawziecat

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Terry you have the EDX111 the OP is talking about a ED, the difference is you have the CAA (which uses about 25mm of available in-focus) the ED does not have the CAA.
ED available in-focus 178mm
EDXIII available in-focus 153 mm
And yes the TDR0200 shortens the length of the Tak diagonal/compression adapter combo by about 35mm.
Rex

Ahhhh, I see. . . OK.
Thanks, Tom. Like I said, I was just here to confuse the whole issue. :)

#19 tom63

tom63

Explorer 1

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

hello shiner,

have had the fsq106ed for a couple of years and now have the fsq85.

i would highly recommend to you the baader m68 system and not the takahashi adapter system.
http://www.baader-pl...ion/s10/s10.htm
http://www.baader-pl...ion/s11/s11.htm

here you can see my setup (was nearly the same with fsq106)
http://www.cloudynig...d=refractors...
http://www.cloudynig...d=refractors...

kind regards
tom

p.s. for the moon - go for a binoviewer - once used to it you will never again want to look with just one eye to the sky ...

#20 tom63

tom63

Explorer 1

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:18 AM

shiner,

just had some minutes to take a photo for you with some of the baader m68 and t2 stuff. so - it's easier to understand how it works and what is possible ...

bigger pictures in threads are not allowed - here is the same with max filesize for gallery:
http://www.cloudynig...=28519&size=big

regards
tom

p.s. anything starts with the telescope adapter (lower left corner) - this one here is for my pentax 105 - the one for takahashi fsq is part-no. #2558230

Attached Thumbnails

• 6165734-m68_t2_s.jpg

#21 shiner

shiner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Tom! What made you move to the FSQ-85? I am also thinking of going for the 85 instead of the 106. Will give me a more useful set of combinations combined with my RC8 scope I think (but don't know!).

Whats the current consensus in the 85 v 106 debate? In England the 106 is about 33% more than the 85 and thats on an already very expensive 85! I also don't like the idea of the regular refocus that I read is necessary on the 106.....

#22 tom63

tom63

Explorer 1

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

hello shiner,

i'm too lazy to build an observatory here in the garden of my house. so i wanted to get as light as its possible (the refocussing thing sucks also a little). for this reasons i bought the last real new pentax 105 sdp - but when it came to my house - again to heavy for me (you can find it under my classifieds here in cn).

finally i drove to the german tak dealer (ics) and bought the baby q - this is as light as i wanted. now i'm on the way for a 10micron 1000 hps (not really lightweight - but i hope it will work without guiding - and perfect polar alignment with software assistance ...

kind regards
tom

#23 gorreskime

gorreskime

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

...(note: in the US the part numbers are different than in Europe here the part 70 is TOA0400)...

Thank you for posting that... I was going crazy trying to find the TKP27110 part!

#24 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:12 AM

One of my good friends use a FSQ-106 non ED for visual. Its very very nice, but requires the Tak FSQ diagonal to reach focus. Its extremely limited on focus travel. Its beautiful optically, but can't really get very high on magnification because he doesn't have an extender and barlows and powermates dont work with it.
His maxes out with his 6mm Ethos, at less than 100x, his shortest FL scope. Not much for planets and planetary nebulas because it cant go very high in magnification but visually is nice in everything else.

Ralph.

#25 Balok

Balok

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

Thank you for this thread ; you have opened my eyes.

Balok

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics