•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bresser Messier 127L f/9.4 from Explore Scientific

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#51 fchavarria

fchavarria

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

Hi!.

Yesterday I have brought this telescope.

I'm buy from Amazon Spain and this is more cheaper than in Amazon US.

I'm paid for this $421.3 while in Amazon I to paid $498 + 33.21 for shipping!

In Amazon US sale The 127s release, I buy the 127L release in Amazon Spain.

I'm wait this help you.

I love this telescope and I'm very anxious waiting for their arrival

Edited by fchavarria, 22 November 2014 - 06:37 PM.

• gmavrom likes this

#52 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

• Loc: FL

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

i bought one and it gets here monday waiting for lxd75 mount to arrive.

#53 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:33 PM

I seem to be scattering this on a couple posts......because I'm excited I guess.....but I just ordered one of these scopes as well......I bought from amazon UK.....yup, they ship to US.......

anyone else out here have one to report on?

#54 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:02 PM

Hi all,

well......my new 127L showed up today!

i must say, very impressive of amazon to ship from the UK to me in Texas in 5 days!

i literally ordered it on New Year's Eve and it was at my door today!....ii did not pay for expedited fees either....in fact, when I selected the slower delivery method offered, it was more expensive!.......they seem to b making this world smaller every day huh?!

anyway.....I will inbox and give a review in the day or so.......it is on looooong box though!

bob

• seafury likes this

#55 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

Hi from the UK, I bought one of these last July and sill have not used it I am ashamed to say ditto with my Lyra I expect you will use yours before I get to. They do have a good reputation over here for both their optics, remembering they are not expensive,and they seem to be built quite well

cheers Gordon

#56 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:48 PM

Great to hear Gordon!

i will get to unboxing mine this weekend......I think that for any product, the level of expectation about quality and performance should not exceed the price paid, but if it exceeds, it is then considered a "great deal"......

so, to put it in perspective, on paper, to me, at least p front, this is a great deal (although yet to test optically) ..... this is a 127mm 1200mm focal length refractor....all metal collimatable cell, 2 inch focuser, 8x50 illuminated finder.......I bought this new for $397 including shipping from the UK........this telescope at this price would be unheard of in past years.......

while optical performance is of course the measure of any telescope.......this seems promising as far as the price to performance ratio is concerned........more to come! I'll post my detailed eval!

bob

#57 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:05 AM

Hi Bob I look forward to seeing your report ,you never know it might encourage me to drag mine out, bad back and apathy willing, lol

cheers Gordon

#58 Jzellner

Jzellner

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Norman, OK

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

After reading this thread I went on and checked on the 127L this morning on Amazon UK, shipped to my front door in Oklahoma, the scope is $373.23.  When you see it on the site it lists at 235 pounds, but once in your cart it changes to 196 pounds.  The $373 includes priority shipping and it would get here Tuesday.  Amazing.

#59 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

Thanks to a strong dollar! the price has dropped even further...

-Bob

#60 Jzellner

Jzellner

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Norman, OK

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

Geez, the wife got me a scope for Christmas, its the only thing that let me resist the urge to click Place Order...

#61 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

After reading this thread I went on and checked on the 127L this morning on Amazon UK, shipped to my front door in Oklahoma, the scope is $373.23.  When you see it on the site it lists at 235 pounds, but once in your cart it changes to 196 pounds.  The $373 includes priority shipping and it would get here Tuesday.  Amazing.

Most likely based on the ship to address that they take out the VAT.

But great for you!  And such a fast shipping.   Let us know how it performs, esp. the CA.   

Bob

#62 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

I got mine dirt cheap from Exp. Sci over Christmas, it was the last one they had lef of the 127L . Was there since 2008. Got 25% discount on it too Got it home opened it and Lens was filthy. It built solid. I called Cust service was fantastic I sent it back and hey cleaned it and collimated it.and shipped back. It came with 3 eypieces and a cheapo diagnol and barlow. I have bought a 2" GSO diaggnol for it.unfortunately since I got it back right after New Year the sky has been cloudy in Tampa. Have mounted it on a LXD 75 goto. Pretty heavy at 16 lbs with no diagnol.  Also bought a better eye piece a 2" 13mm Baader to try out. Have had many scopes but first 5" Achro. The box says Bresser Meade so it is their old AR5 I am willing to bet. Also got the Baader apo filter to try. Will let everyone know how it is once weather clears up. Euro is at 1.17 so now it would be a good scope to buy even at that price.

Edited by gmavrom, 13 January 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#63 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

I just checked the price on Amazon UK and its not allowing any shipments to the USA now......

#64 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

Try APM telescopes in Germany. call Makus. He may ship it. It weighs shipped about 25lbs

Edited by gmavrom, 13 January 2015 - 04:48 PM.

#65 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

Looks like amazon is out of them right now.....they are showling another seller who does not ship to us....

may email amazon UK to see when they'll have back in stock.

I Unboxed mine.....beautiful looking scope.....I always like traditional white.....optics were a little dirty, but easily cleaned....

focuser seems nice for a rack and pinion....could use a little heavy grease for a little "stiction".....focuser barrel even has graduation marks.....finder is a pretty nice straight through 8x50....they did at one point advertise it as illuminated, but it is not......came with a simple 1-1/4 diagonal and a 20mm plossl.....these are of not great quality and were definitely thrown in to just get people started......it's been cloudy here as well......hopefully this weekend will allow for first light!

bob

#66 paul m schofield

paul m schofield

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hollywood, Florida, USA, with grandson Ethan

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

I have the Meade AR5 LXD 75 f/9.3 and it's been a great performer. I live in a green zone on the edge of a blue and touring the Milky Way open-clusters and nebulae has been great fun. The optics are sharp with excellent contrast and very little CA although I am in my sixties and my eyes won't pick it up like younger eyes. On Jupiter and Saturn I use a No. 8 Wratten filter that helps sharpen up the planetary images. If the atmosphere cooperates a lot of detail can be seen. Globular clusters are good, too, and the detail shown for a 5" scope is satisfying. The small galaxy by M13 was easy to pick out. The moon is outstanding as is the sun with a white-light filter.

The OTA weighs about 15 pounds and is light enough that you only need one 10# counter-weight on the mount. The whole set-up weighs just above 50 pounds making it not too difficult to move in one piece though I usually do the OTA and mount separate. The LXD75 mount is accurate and stable enough for visuals; you would need a beefier mount for imaging.

The stock R&P focuser works fine for me especially with the focal ratio of f/9.3. Simple plossls and orthos perform well and with my 2" 40mm Erfle I get 30x with a 2.2 degree field, enough for the Pleaides. For the money it's about the most perfect scope I could wish for. It will do 90-95% of what a much more expensive instrument will do. 

#67 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

Here's some pics of the scope....sorry about grainy pics....taken with an old iPad....here's overall tube assy....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#68 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

Here's the focuser.....nice for a rack and pinion....has compression ring with 3 set screws.....came with a nice 1-1/4 adapter, also with compression ring.....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#69 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:26 PM

Has a nice set of hinged rings with a vixen dovetail.....built in handle....can mount a piggyback camera adapter to it that also came with the scope

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#70 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

Objective was a little dirty....looked like small white paint flakes that may have come loose from inside the tube during shipping.....was easy to remove lens cell (3 screws) from tube....I made sure to mark location to put back in same location....should not have affected collimating, well see......has nice green coatings.....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#71 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

Here re the accessories.....a 26mm plossl eyepiece, a 1-1/4 budget diagonal, a real useless "planoshpere" - so small I would have a hard time reading even with a magnifying glass!....some sort of astronomy CD....instruction booklet in numerous languages.....And finally the piggyback camera adapter......

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#72 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

I spoke to ES the other day about their Bresser Messier line of scopes. Evidently, they are going to sell/distribute them here in the USA. Since I was interested in a 127 with a longer f/l, I noted they have a 127L f/9.4 1200mm f/l achromat. It has a single speed 2" focuser with 1.25" adapter, an illuminated straight through finder with large center circle, 2" standard diagonal with brass ring, its collimatable and a pull off dew shield, rings and rail. A 26mm EP Messier EP. $450 shipped.
Can anyone who has one tell me about the quality of the optics and build? And anything else? Would love to get this scope.
Thanks
Bob

JOC optics, so just fine - on par with other JOC achromatic objectives.

- Jim

#73 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:47 AM

Mine is the older Messier model ES had in stock had 3 budget eyepieces and diagnol and a budget barlow and illuminated finder. Does not have the carry handle. Still waiting for the weather been 2 weeks since I got it back from cleaning and servicing from ES. ES does have some of the older CG5 manual mounts that came with these scopes. I think they wanted around $240 shipped. They only have a few so you could wheel and deal. Talk to Jacob at ES. There CS is great. They can become goto if you buy the accessorie(Motors and computer). Probably have it shipped from europe. I suspect around 350-400 Euro.

#74 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

Wow, Bresser has some GREAT OTAs available.  I like the 8" f/6 and 6" f/8 Newts, 6" f/8 and 5" f/9.4 achromat.  Reasonably priced too, thanks to the strong dollar.

- Jim

#75 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

Agree Jim!

while I have yet to test optically....I really like he build quality of the 127L achro......I just got e pier extension for my gm8 head....and mounted it to a meade field tripod...while not an apo, this is my first "big" refractor.......and I'm anxious to try it  out! Plan is for tomorrow night!

bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics