•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bresser Messier 127L f/9.4 from Explore Scientific

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#76 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

• Loc: FL

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:09 AM

I took my 127l bresser out last night and looked at Jupiter on a old meade c5 goto mount. The view was excellent.Using a 13mm Baader eypiece I saw several bands, very very littleCA. My eyes are older saw I saw only a  very tiny purple fring on side of planet, using a baader apo filter I did not see any at all. The CA you see is not in any way obtrusive. CA was a bit more evident with the 2x Ultima celestron barlow at 160. Using a barlow and 10 MM teleview the image was not easily focused i think the sky was the issue and dew. As whole I can compare the image with aC8 at lower powers. Its a great scope. I did not do a star test. to excited with the great views of Jupiter and watching it's moons go around the planet. If you can buy the scope get it.

#77 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

I really must get mine out, it will be nearly a year since I got it soon lol

#78 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

I really must get mine out, it will be nearly a year since I got it soon lol

If you can do a side by side comparisson love to hear the  results

Edited by gmavrom, 17 January 2015 - 06:50 PM.

#79 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:11 AM

Hi all,

well, it was first light tonight for me with my 127L.....I can say I'm extremely impressed!

The scope is BIG...and is nose heavy, but did balance well with my heavy 2 inch eyepieces........

i have it mounted to a GM8.....which handles it very well......I would not mount to anything less.....

the standard 7lb counter weight was just enough with it at its lowest point on the shaft......would be better with the 11lb which I'll probably order......

now for the optical performance......this scope, in my opinion, performs as good as an achromat can for its aperture and focal length!......what really impressed me and my "co-observer" the most....was the pinpoint images edge to edge in the field of view.....and I mean literally "to the edge!"......paired with a 17mm nagler gave incredible views...and the stars were pinpoint all the way to the extreme edge........

orion was awesome....and comet Lovejoy was a pleasure........

we then pointed it to Sirius to do a star test......yup, there was chromatic aberration...a typical halo that is expected and unavoidable in an achro.....But the view was still great, pinpoint stars.......

We waited a while for Jupiter to get high enough to view reasonably......the atmosphere was not cooperating, lots of "boiling", views with anything above 100x were just no good....but this was not the scopes fault, just a bad atmosphere night......

we cycled through several eyepieces of similar focal lengths and were surprised at the differences in CA or false color......based on viewing conditions, the best eyepieces were 15mm to 21mm range....so we narrowed our selection for comparison to these........while the nagler is awesome,  we stuck to simpler 1-1/4, less expensive eyepieces to compare....

this is not intended to turn this into a eyepiece review, but was interesting to evaluate the differences in views with this scope.......particularly in how each eyepiece varied in its CA/false color......

we tried a 21mm televue plossl, a 15mm Edmund RKE, a 15mm celestron Kellner, and a 20mm zuhmell planetary ....

we both agreed, the 21mm televue was best.....least false color and best contrast....I bought this eyepiece back in 1983 when televue first started making eyepieces, and will never sell it!

The next best eyepiece with this scope tonight, was the zuhmell planetary......it did seem to show a bit more false color than any of the other eyepieces, but seemed to show more detail of the bands and was quite "crisp".....

last but not least, we're the Edmund rke and the celestron 15mm Kellner.......these were about tied.......while these had less CA than the zuhmell, they also showed a bit less detail.....

I have often stated that the celestron 15mm Kellner, which you can get dirt cheap, is the best economy eyepiece out there....if you don't have one GET ONE......you won't be disappointed........add it to your arsenal, you will use it more often then you think!.........

so, back to the 127L.....it is love at "first light" for me.....especially for its crisp edge to edge views......chromatic aberration is as expected, but only on bright objects......it is very promising as a "planet killer", which is my goal for this scope....

the focuser worked well for its price range, but I might "upgrade" it at some point......

Bottom line....for me, this is a great scope and would not hesitate to recommend it......I would of course love an ED or APO scope someday.......but for visual use, and  just under $400 bucks delivered....this is a great way to scratch the large refractor itch without breaking the bank! 

Bob

• paul m schofield and spongebob@55 like this

#80 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:20 AM

I'm feeling really guilty now, given that I now think it's been nearly 2 years not 1 since I got mine, it came with an illuminated finder scope and a 2 inch diagonal

Gordon (: 

#81 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:20 AM

There is one on the UK ebay site at the moment

Edited by seafury, 18 January 2015 - 04:29 AM.

#82 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

Hi all,

well, it was first light tonight for me with my 127L.....I can say I'm extremely impressed!

The scope is BIG...and is nose heavy, but did balance well with my heavy 2 inch eyepieces........

i have it mounted to a GM8.....which handles it very well......I would not mount to anything less.....

the standard 7lb counter weight was just enough with it at its lowest point on the shaft......would be better with the 11lb which I'll probably order......

now for the optical performance......this scope, in my opinion, performs as good as an achromat can for its aperture and focal length!......what really impressed me and my "co-observer" the most....was the pinpoint images edge to edge in the field of view.....and I mean literally "to the edge!"......paired with a 17mm nagler gave incredible views...and the stars were pinpoint all the way to the extreme edge........

orion was awesome....and comet Lovejoy was a pleasure........

we then pointed it to Sirius to do a star test......yup, there was chromatic aberration...a typical halo that is expected and unavoidable in an achro.....But the view was still great, pinpoint stars.......

We waited a while for Jupiter to get high enough to view reasonably......the atmosphere was not cooperating, lots of "boiling", views with anything above 100x were just no good....but this was not the scopes fault, just a bad atmosphere night......

we cycled through several eyepieces of similar focal lengths and were surprised at the differences in CA or false color......based on viewing conditions, the best eyepieces were 15mm to 21mm range....so we narrowed our selection for comparison to these........while the nagler is awesome,  we stuck to simpler 1-1/4, less expensive eyepieces to compare....

this is not intended to turn this into a eyepiece review, but was interesting to evaluate the differences in views with this scope.......particularly in how each eyepiece varied in its CA/false color......

we tried a 21mm televue plossl, a 15mm Edmund RKE, a 15mm celestron Kellner, and a 20mm zuhmell planetary ....

we both agreed, the 21mm televue was best.....least false color and best contrast....I bought this eyepiece back in 1983 when televue first started making eyepieces, and will never sell it!

The next best eyepiece with this scope tonight, was the zuhmell planetary......it did seem to show a bit more false color than any of the other eyepieces, but seemed to show more detail of the bands and was quite "crisp".....

last but not least, we're the Edmund rke and the celestron 15mm Kellner.......these were about tied.......while these had less CA than the zuhmell, they also showed a bit less detail.....

I have often stated that the celestron 15mm Kellner, which you can get dirt cheap, is the best economy eyepiece out there....if you don't have one GET ONE......you won't be disappointed........add it to your arsenal, you will use it more often then you think!.........

so, back to the 127L.....it is love at "first light" for me.....especially for its crisp edge to edge views......chromatic aberration is as expected, but only on bright objects......it is very promising as a "planet killer", which is my goal for this scope....

the focuser worked well for its price range, but I might "upgrade" it at some point......

Bottom line....for me, this is a great scope and would not hesitate to recommend it......I would of course love an ED or APO scope someday.......but for visual use, and  just under $400 bucks delivered....this is a great way to scratch the large refractor itch without breaking the bank! 

Bob

Great information.   Its always interesting to me to hear other people confirm the performance of 'simple glass' in achromats.   If I had one, I'd also put my prism diagonal in it too to see its performance over my dielectric.  I've used that prism on other of my longer f/l scopes and its an amazing performer.  But then, they're about $400, and adding that to the cost of this achromat is kind of __________ (you fill in the blank!  :lol: )  

I think ES really missed the boat on this one.  They should have made this available in the US when a couple years ago, when we started this thread.  But now, if they  its got to be priced right and have a decent achromatic quality, good content and a great price.  

Yes, it'll have CA, but if one understands that, and if it'll have a great price, the performance to price relationship should make for good sales.   Just look at what the $59+shipping C102 OTA sold a couple of years ago!

Bob

• paul m schofield likes this

#83 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

another one plus mount for sale in UK

http://www.astrobuys....php?view=92276

#84 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

If you can get the goto mount and telescope for 400 pounds $600 isa great price. You won't be sorry

#85 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:02 PM

You can buy the ota from apm telescopes in Germany for about $400 bucks delivered to the US!

if you want one, I'd jump on it!......you can buy online from them.....and they are a very reputable company...

bob

#86 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

Had the 127l out last night again.......I think this is truly a great scope......I purchased a baader semi apo filter to try....it does do a good job of suppressing the CA....I can say though that the CA really is not significant to me, and I could "take it or leave it" ..... Orion looked spectacular, very good contrast, better visually to me than my 9.25 Schmidt....

I also had the best views of Jupiter ever.....when it rose to about overhead around midnight.....

the atmosphere cooperated and the details were outstanding.......

I do find the focuser a little course to get focus at times, but it is stiff, no slop and seems to work very well for rack and pinion....I can see me saving my pennies to upgrade to a moonlite though.....

Based on this scope, I'm now tempted to get one of their 152 f8's!!

Will be out with it again tonight!

bob

#87 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

The 152 f8 by Bresser is a good ol' Meade AR6 which used to come with the LXD75 mount/tripod (actually, initially w the LXD55).  In other words, by JOC.  It's been sort of more "polished"-looking now (the tube) but it's the same achromatic refractor.  I bought it new and had it for several years (kept the mount w the tripod).  It will have slightly more CA then the 127/f9.4 but it will go "deeper."  It can be found from time to time on the used scope market. A nice scope for its size, nose-heavy (maybe not as much as C6R?), and relatively cheap intro into the big refractor territory.  It requires a substantial mount.  I'd stick w the 5" for some time, enjoy it and decide whether big refractors are a way to go - if so, save $ for at least ED doublet or preferably an APO triplet of 5"+ size.  If not, there are other excellent telescope systems to consider over 5" for actually much less $. 

#88 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

Yup, it is the same as the meade ar6.......it seems that maybe bresser is also going to discontinue making these.....

they seem to be hard to find and amazon lists them as "discontinued by manufacturer"......the 127's seem easier to locate...

i finally found one shipped to my odor from Germany for right at $600 bucks......same price as a new celestron c6r.....I'm not sure how these compare to the celestrons, but I assume about the same......plus I like the looks and feel of these bresser's......I might go ahead and get one to play with for a while......heck, I can always sell it later should I decide to upgrade someday to an apo............

Bob

#89 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:07 PM

Man....I just read my post..gotta love auto spell correct....."shipped to my odor"........now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are....... :lol:

• paul m schofield, choran and T1R2 like this

#90 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

Here's a pic of her in the garage.....gettin ready to put her outside for another adventurous evening.....mounted on a gm8 with pier extension on a meade field tripod.......love the mount too!

bob

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• DaveTinning and spongebob@55 like this

#91 precaud

precaud

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: north central New Mexico

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

Your garage is WAY too clean and neat...  :lol:

• Peter Besenbruch likes this

#92 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:44 PM

:waytogo: Just cleaned it today!.....

getting ready to set her up now for some Jupiter viewing!

bob

#93 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:20 AM

another one plus mount for sale in UK

http://www.astrobuys....php?view=92276

Hi the focuser and finder seem to different on yours compared to this one advertised and mine

gordon

#94 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

Hi Gordon,

The focuser is the same, the finder is the illuminated version, but looks essentially the same as mine.

We had a great time last night with the scope! My wife even commented that she likes this one "the best" of all I use....

she thought the views were "awesome"..... I thought this was a good endorsement because she is truly unbiased and has little experience with scopes......

We messed around with various filters on Jupiter to try and coax the best view....it was fun! We used the semi apo, baader contrast booster, and various color filters, 

We agreed that the semi apo filter is truly great to use on planets/bright objects, but it was better without the filter on orion, the nebulosity was a bit more detailed without the filter. I really like that this filter is very color neutral, no apparent change to the view other than ever so slightly dimmer........

The contrast booster worked well to bring out the banding, but it does have a definite yellow tint......

i think the combo on Jupiter was the semi apo with a neutral density filter.  We used an orion variable filter and set it at its highest transmission.....this combo seemed to look the most natural with excellent contrast.......

Bob

#95 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hi Bob, I thought the focuser knobs looked black on yours in the photo, I have four filters that I have bought intending to try but have no idea really which would be best if at all

Baader Contrast Booster

Baader Semi APO

Baader yellow color filter 495 Longpass

Baader  Fringe Killer

I have also modified the bracket on a SW Electric focuser which helps on that front

I really must stop reading reviews lol and one day I might actually use the scope

Gordon

Edited by seafury, 08 February 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#96 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:05 PM

Well...shoot.....I could not help myself......based on my fancy for this scope, I went head and ordered the 152 f8 version....it's coming from Germany.....more reviews/posts to come for it!.....but it is basically a AR6......

Jupiter was awesome last night!....while. Do ot ee t better planetary performance from the 152.....I hope to dedicate it to visual deep sky.....

bob

#97 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

I do enjoy my Bresser 127L. It the older version got if from ES  they had one in stock. Excellent views of Jupiter .Little CA.When I use a baader apo filter it really cleans it up and good eye pieces. The moon was alo excellent with som yellow CA on the edgesLove to hear a report on it when you finally get it. I run my 127L on a CG5 goto. Like to fine a pier extension fo rit

#98 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

The orion svp pier extension fits the cg5's......well built and worth every penny for long refractors like these....

I have a cg4 with this extension and love it for some of my smaller scopes......

bob

#99 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

The orion svp pier extension fits the cg5's......well built and worth every penny for long refractors like these....

I have a cg4 with this extension and love it for some of my smaller scopes......

bob

I have a lxd 75 version and I read a write up review that it is does not work on this mount.Anyone know where I can find an extension for the LXD 75

#100 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

not sure about what extension would fit,

I have had some made before from 4" steel tube before though....

Well, I had my first "real" time with the scope last night!...and boy howdy was it great!

my goal was see what this bad boy can do fer me on the fuzzies........in order to make the hunt easier, I got my setting circles dialed in....and away I went!

The verdict is WOW!.....I am amazed what I was able to find with this 5" scope....and my skies are not all that great....

I started in orion with good 'ol M42, moved on to several clusters from there.....clusters are where the refractors excel.....beautiful pinpoint stars.....I then challenged myself to the first faint fuzzie....M1, Crab Nebula..it took a bit, but found it no problem...

....I waited a while for Leo to get higher in the sky and then went on the galaxy hunt.....it took a little patience, but then the galaxy bonanza was great!.....M65, M66, M95,M96, M97 all were found!!.....

My thoughts were WOW!....I was able to resolve 9th magnitude and a even darker galaxies with this puppy!

thats pretty awesome......I can say though that the setting circles were a must...no way would I be able to star hop to these as some took some real study to coax a view.......

I can't wait to get the 152 and see what another inch of aperture will do!

Bob

• DaveTinning likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics