•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bresser Messier 127L f/9.4 from Explore Scientific

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

• Loc: FL

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

Hi,

not sure about what extension would fit,

I have had some made before from 4" steel tube before though....

Well, I had my first "real" time with the scope last night!...and boy howdy was it great!

my goal was see what this bad boy can do fer me on the fuzzies........in order to make the hunt easier, I got my setting circles dialed in....and away I went!

The verdict is WOW!.....I am amazed what I was able to find with this 5" scope....and my skies are not all that great....

I started in orion with good 'ol M42, moved on to several clusters from there.....clusters are where the refractors excel.....beautiful pinpoint stars.....I then challenged myself to the first faint fuzzie....M1, Crab Nebula..it took a bit, but found it no problem...

....I waited a while for Leo to get higher in the sky and then went on the galaxy hunt.....it took a little patience, but then the galaxy bonanza was great!.....M65, M66, M95,M96, M97 all were found!!.....

My thoughts were WOW!....I was able to resolve 9th magnitude and a even darker galaxies with this puppy!

thats pretty awesome......I can say though that the setting circles were a must...no way would I be able to star hop to these as some took some real study to coax a view.......

I can't wait to get the 152 and see what another inch of aperture will do!

B

It is a good scope. Jupiter also looks great through it. Wonder how bad the CA willbe with the 6"

#102 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:15 PM

The CA will be worse....laws of physics.....increased aperture with same focal length....this is not an issue  though, as this scope will be used for more deep sky adventures, plus I can always use aperture masks to help.....and I can honestly say, CA is absolutely no issue for this...

Bob

#103 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:31 PM

I am in Tampa so the planets ar pretty high, I might be forced to cell my LXD 75 and get a clestron goto where the extension works.I hate being on my knees. I can't look at m42 its way too high for the 5". The Baader apo filter works pretty good cleaning up CA on brighter objects, especially Jupiter

#104 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

Yup, I agree that the baader semi apo works well with this scope on the planets.......but no need for any filters for deep sky...........I must say that I absolutely love this scope on my losmandy gm8 with pier extension.....it truly is a perfect match......highly recommended.(pricey, but ya git whatcha pay fer!).....I think most will agree...scopes will come and go, but a good mount can stick around for a lifetime.....while I own several other manual and Goto mounts, I truly love the losmandy manual mount, and am now upgrading it with digital setting circles......it is truly an heirloom quality type item......I don't think anyone who owns one would disagree........

Had her out again tonight for a quick look at Jupiter.....set her up at dusk, went to dinner, and came home to an incredible view.....skies have really cooperated these last few nights...the detail is awesome....

i must say, for $400 bucks, this is by far the best "bang fer the buck" scope I have ever owned.......

Bob

#105 gmavrom

gmavrom

Explorer 1

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

I may sell the LXd 79 and look for another mount that can take an extension.Dowant to see how this scope handles Mars and Saturn should be great views

#106 diglit

diglit

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy - Milan

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

If it could be useful (I've posted the same in another topic) Here 3 pictures taken with a Bresser 127L and a QHY5L-II color camera (first edition) with and without a app barlow 2,5x

Also a picture of ALNITAK in the belt of ORI (9 frames on 100) with 2,5x barlow.

Paolo

Attached Thumbnails

•  3GIOVE finale SCRIPT 22-36-27-83_g3_q6 gaussian.jpg
  • giove e lune 23-15-49-597_g3_q2 copy copia.jpg
  • alnitak 1.jpg

• DaveTinning and Juan Rayo like this

#107 diglit

diglit

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy - Milan

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:20 AM

better images of ALNITAK...

Paolo

Attached Thumbnails

• alnitak 1 copy.jpg

• DaveTinning and Juan Rayo like this

#108 Michael Cave

Michael Cave

Messenger

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

Hi Bob,

"I can't wait to get the 152 and see what another inch of aperture will do!

Bob".

I hope it puts up incredible views for you, don't forget to post yours thoughts on it also...

Clear Skies,

Mike

#109 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

OK all, I finally received the AR15L!.......I'll start another thread and a review of it!

bob

#110 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

Hi any updates on the 127 or has it been replaced by the big brother

cheers Gordon 

#111 DaveTinning

DaveTinning

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eastern England

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:18 AM

I have the AR127l and it's a great scope for the cost. My main scope for "absolute quality" views is a Vixen ED103s apo F7.7, and it IS unbeatable for contrast and sharpness, but it is also only a 4" scope - and the full 5" aperture of the AR127l does make a big difference, especially on clusters and nebulae like M42 - it just pulls in more light.

My two favourite objects with the AR127l are M42 - stunning views of the Trap and "Bat Wings" and the Double Cluster in Perseus - sparkling points of light on a dark background, and the little semi-circular asterism jumps out at you much more than in the 4", nice though that view is. It's horses for courses..:-).

BTW, I mount mine on a CG-5 with ADM saddle/puck upgrade, and standard drives to each axis (not goto). Very stable for visual and an ideal match.

I've thought for some time that if I could only choose one scope to keep, a good 5" longish focus achromat is a genuine "all rounder" which could keep me busy for years.

Dave

• Spyke and jrbarnett like this

#112 Sporocyte

Sporocyte

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Readhimer, Louisiana

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

Is the same telescope?

https://www.amazon.c...gateway&sr=8-47

#113 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:24 PM

Negative....maybe

Zoom in on mis-label...says it's a reflective Maskutov  127/f-15. 

But...

https://www.omegon.e...-eq-500/p,50119

Weird that the Omegon link opens up at ES version. So after editing a dozen time, I'll say yes.....

Edited by Jim7728, 10 September 2019 - 05:57 PM.

#114 ToSpaceOrBust

ToSpaceOrBust

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:10 PM

I have had my Bresser AR127L for a few weeks now and for how little it cost im very impressed with the quality of the optics you do get some CA around bright objects like Jupiter and the moon and the very bright stars like vega and cappela etc but its not a massive amount and easly controlled with the correct filter ..as for build quality its solid and very well built ..

Don't know if this thread is too old but... I am considering getting two of these Bresser AR127L/1200's for a binoscope build.  It would be used almost exclusively for planets and the moon as I'm stuck in a city.  I am probably on the "sensitive" side regarding chromatic aberration, and I really do not want to use any corrective filter that will add any color cast (and I don't think chromacor's are within my budget or even available).   Could you maybe be more detailed describing the chromatic aberration of this 127L on Jupiter/Saturn/Mars and the moon (and I'd be often going to 150-240x magnification, so I guess that will make the CA much worse?).

The alternative I'm thinking of is the Bresser 102L/1350 which is f/13.2 and should theoretically have much less CA than this 127L, but I'd really like a larger diameter than 102.

#115 ToSpaceOrBust

ToSpaceOrBust

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:13 PM

OK all, I finally received the AR15L!.......I'll start another thread and a review of it!

bob

hi bob,

did you ever write up any review info about the Bresser 152L?

randy

#116 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 11 September 2020 - 10:16 PM

I spoke to ES the other day about their Bresser Messier line of scopes. Evidently, they are going to sell/distribute them here in the USA. Since I was interested in a 127 with a longer f/l, I noted they have a 127L f/9.4 1200mm f/l achromat. It has a single speed 2" focuser with 1.25" adapter, an illuminated straight through finder with large center circle, 2" standard diagonal with brass ring, its collimatable and a pull off dew shield, rings and rail. A 26mm EP Messier EP. $450 shipped.
Can anyone who has one tell me about the quality of the optics and build? And anything else? Would love to get this scope.
Thanks
Bob

Thankfully, it's a tad longer than the f8 120-127mm achromats normally are, it'll mean a bit less colour error.

#117 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:07 AM

I wouldn't get an achromat for the Moon and planets if I was sensitive to CA.
I wouldn't even get a binoscope, a quality binoviewer on something like a Mewlon 180 would be much more suitable IMHO. The binoscope is more for superior views at larger exit pupil sizes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics