•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Grab & Go:

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:31 PM

Picked up my new 8" Meade LX90 LNT/UHTC at OPT today.

It will be used as a lightweight "back yard" scope, while my new 10" Meade LX200GPS/UHTC will be reserved for star parties.

(I also have a 12.5" Discovery PDHQ Dob)

Does anybody know of an LX90 Forum anywhere?

That's all...
Hal Pollner

Attached Thumbnails

• 659081-LX200GPS 018.jpg

#2 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:46 PM

Congrats on yet another great scope! :)

I'd be interested to hear your impressions on the differences between the LX90 and 200 from a mechanical/feature perspective. As I understand it the optics are of the same quality. Wondering how you'd compare the different forks and focusing etc.

Sander

#3 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:03 AM

Cangratulations! Great scope(s)!

BTW, are those VanderGraff (sp?) generators in the background?

#4 Benjamin B

Benjamin B

Apollo

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:35 AM

Hal. I see that you have a WO focuser, I´m going to buy me a focuser, but not yet desided what mark to chose. How is the WO focuser, is it smooth? Anything you dont like? I have a Takahashi and I´m used to that focuser, is it possible to compare?

#5 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:24 AM

Hal, just to piggyback on the focuser question, what is the diameter attaching to the visual back on your LX200 from the focuser? I have a Peterson 2" Eyeopener and was curious if one of these focuser's would fit over that. It's a 2" diameter and doesn't have threads like the standard rear cell attachment that came with the LX200.

#6 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:14 AM

There is an LX90 forum on yahoo.

#7 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:24 AM

Yep - Yahoo has one.

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:56 AM

Hal, just to piggyback on the focuser question, what is the diameter attaching to the visual back on your LX200 from the focuser? I have a Peterson 2" Eyeopener and was curious if one of these focuser's would fit over that. It's a 2" diameter and doesn't have threads like the standard rear cell attachment that came with the LX200.

Like the Meade microfocuser, the WO focuser attaches to SCT threads. You'd have to install a male SCT thread - male 2" barrel adaptor (one was included with your LX200GPS) onto the WO focuser to insert it into the AP visual back. Or to get the same functionality while using up less space, you could remove the AP back and reinstall the 3.25" - SCT thread adaptor that came on the telescope. The WO focuser will attach directly to that.

There are focusers from Moonlite and JMI that attach to the large ring on the telescope's rear cell. To install one of those, you'd remove the AP back and replace it with the focuser. Here's the Moonlite.

Attached Thumbnails

• 659294-LX200+SCT+102ED.jpg

#9 Benjamin B

Benjamin B

Apollo

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:12 AM

Can anyone recommend me a good focuser to my C11 OTA? manual.
:grin:

#10 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:15 AM

Can anyone recommend me a good focuser to my C11 OTA? manual.
:grin:

The WO unit looks nice but I haven't used one. Moonlite doesn't yet show it on their website but they do offer a version of the CR1 that will attach to SCT threads and which would be a very nice addon to a C11. You might send them an email inquiry.

#11 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:33 AM

I use one on my LX-90. One thing to consider is that it will stop at approx. 63-64 degrees with 2" WO diagonal attached. Actual number may vary based on how level the mount/base and the alignment of GOTO at each session. It will also make a difference if mounting the scope with a wedge.

Some likes:
- The travel is enough that once the course focus is completed by adjusting the mirror I find that I can use the WO for the rest of my viewing session.
- The rotation of the WO doesn't cause significant image shift (if any at all)
- The center of travel is identified by a very, very small indented position. Thus, you can feel the very, slight bump while adjusting the travel. I find this to be a great feature. It aids in focusing: a) no need to visually mark center b) becomes a reference point in the dark, etc.
- The tension can be adjusted to your personal taste for feel and/or the weight you may be lifting.
- Focus lock set screw for imaging

Some dislikes:
- When using a 2" diagonal, larger EP and my Powermate it added a lot of weight to the back and moved the balance center point.
- Extended length limits the scope travel on my alt/az mount (see above).

In short, I really enjoy the movement of the focuser for visual observing. I can't say that it adds anything to images I see, however, observing without it is in some way just not the same.

Finally, there is the "cool factor". It just looks good on the scope when it is setup, inside on a cloudy night - like right now - just begging to have a diagonal and EP inserted......

later,
Mark

#12 Benjamin B

Benjamin B

Apollo

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:49 AM

jrcrilly I sent a letter to Moonlite 2 days ago asking them if they had any focuser for a C11 OTA, but the answer was no. Just that in the e-mail.

#13 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:01 AM

jrcrilly I sent a letter to Moonlite 2 days ago asking them if they had any focuser for a C11 OTA, but the answer was no. Just that in the e-mail.

Hi, Benjamin.

Were you inquiring about a version to go onto the large 3" opening in the rear cell? They don't have that yet, but they do have a universal version to mount to an SCT thread. I'm sending in my large Meade ring focuser today to be switched over to that version so I can use it on my 7" Mak.

#14 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

SANDER:

The optics of my 8" LX90 are the identical optics of the 8" LX200.

The fork assembly is built a bit lighter for portability, and for a "grab & go" scope that I'll use only visually, it will be just great!

HAL POLLNER

#15 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:59 AM

TIM:

Yes, those are self-excited (not pumped) Van de Graaff Electrostatic Generators. The one in the corner with the 30" terminal is of my own design, which theoretically yields discharges of 1,125,000 volts, but I'm only getting about 2/3 of that due to leakage and corona. When extended, it's over 8 ft. tall.

The smaller generator with the oblate terminal is a commercial 400,000 volt unit.

HAL POLLNER

#16 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:07 AM

BEN:

This is my second William Optics Crayford Focuser. I had
one 2 years ago on my 12" LX200GPS, and I knew I would be installing one on my new 10" (shown in picture).

They are smooth, and can be rotated independently of the drawtube extension. They have a generous 1-1/4 inches of travel, and stay in rigid alignment out to the maximum extension. Really well-engineered and worth the $150!

HAL POLLNER

#17 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:22 AM

JOEL:

I don't know what the diameter of the visual back is. When I had my 12" LX200GPS two years ago, I was thinking about ordering the Peterson Eye Opener, and I called Pete to get more information.

He said that if my 2" eyepieces had field stops of LESS THAN 2", then there would be no advantage to installing the Eye Opener, as the 2" diameter column of light emerging from the visual back would be reduced to the diameter of the field stop of the eyepiece in use.

I then checked my 2" eyepieces, and the widest field stop was in my Meade 32mm SWA, which measured 1-3/8" in diameter. All my other Meades and Naglers were less that that.

Pete said that the only eyepieces which could take advantage of the Eye Opener's 2" opening would be huge 40-50mm wide-field types.

HAL POLLNER

#18 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:07 AM

With the Eyeopener, you don't use the microfocuser adapter (marked "B" on p. 13 of the LX200 manual) with it. The screws just compress onto the eyeopener whereas they would go into the adapter with the standard back. I guess that answers my question about the WO focuser needing threads. It wouldn't work with the eyeopener.

Hal, that is interesting info about the eyeopener. That would seem to give this item a very narrow use. I would assume the info is good since it comes from the manufacturer. I don't mind the microfocuser so much, it's even nice to play with the focus via the handbox when looking at the laptop, but I want to eliminate that blasted cord. If I went with an aftermarket focuser and remote handbox, my cord wrap worries would be gone. Thanks all for the input.

#19 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:27 AM

JOEL:

I can see that your telescopic needs are more complex than mine! I always have been, and always will be strictly a visual observer, with no laptops, CCD cameras, cables, etc.

Good luck, and I'll bet the picture of the Eagle Nebula I have in my Hubble Space Images book is more beautiful than even Jack Newton can produce!

HAL

#20 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:57 AM

Thanks Hal, I had not considered portability of the 90 to be an advantage over the 200. Good point.

#21 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:25 PM

With the Eyeopener, you don't use the microfocuser adapter (marked "B" on p. 13 of the LX200 manual) with it. The screws just compress onto the eyeopener whereas they would go into the adapter with the standard back. I guess that answers my question about the WO focuser needing threads. It wouldn't work with the eyeopener.

Sure, the WO focuser will work with the eyeopener. In the diagram to which you refer, part "L" is the piece that is used to attach the WO focuser (or any other female SCT-thread device such as a filter or focal reducer) to the AP visual back (or any other 2" female barrel assembly such as the output of Meade's microfocuser). That's why they supply it with the telescope. The part "B" you reference is just a thread protector for use with the microfocuser. If you have misplaced the part "L" adaptor you can buy a similar device from Scopestuff.

If what you really want is to use a standalone focuser controller, any of the standard ones from Meade, Rigel, JMI, BC&E, or other suppliers can be used to control the Meade microfocuser rather than operating it via the Autostar II handbox.

#22 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:33 PM

I thought about that too John. I currently use my "L" adapter now to mount my camera in the microfocuser. I'll look into other focuser controls and Scopestuff is a good option, thanks for the tip.

#23 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:15 PM

Sure, the WO focuser will work with the eyeopener. In the diagram to which you refer, part "L" is the piece that is used to attach the WO focuser (or any other female SCT-thread device such as a filter or focal reducer) to the AP visual back (or any other 2" female barrel assembly such as the output of Meade's microfocuser). That's why they supply it with the telescope. The part "B" you reference is just a thread protector for use with the microfocuser. If you have misplaced the part "L" adaptor you can buy a similar device from Scopestuff.

Either I don't understand your point John, or I will have to disagree. The "L" SC adapter will not screw into the eyeopener. If you meant to screw the threaded side into the eyeopener, it is too small. If the threaded end goes into the WO focuser, then how would the non-threaded end attach to the eyeopener?

#24 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:26 PM

Either I don't understand your point John, or I will have to disagree. The "L" SC adapter will not screw into the eyeopener.

Nothing screws into the eye opener; it accepts a male 2" barrel. The part "L" has a male SCT thread on one end which inserts into the WO focuser or other SCT female thread. The other end is a male 2" barrel which is inserted into the eye opener or other 2" eyepiece holder.

#25 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:51 PM

Ok, so the "L" adapter just acts as a sleeve to mate the wo focuser to the eyeopener and compression screws lock onto the outer barrel of the eyeopener? I can see the screws on the focuser looking at the bigger picture on WO's page. Thanks. I'll still need another one from Scopestuff for use on my camera though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics