•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Ashtrays

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#226 Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis, Mo. USA

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

Well, this is the best I can do in this respect. When you move around a lot as I have, you can't hang on to a lot of stuff from childhood. I did manage a box of comics that I shared with my kids and will share with my grandson when he gets a bit older. Here's a few. You may recognize some.

A few years ago, I want on a "mission" to re-acquire several items from my boyhood days. Among them were these old war comics.

Fqasiv.jpg

• terraclarke likes this

#227 Kasmos

Kasmos

Apollo

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

Both guys are paying attention to scope. I would be paying attention to the lovely lady. I can observe any time....

That's a lady? I prefer women without beards. 

• rolo likes this

#228 Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis, Mo. USA

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:08 PM

I don't seem to really have any space related stuff, not yet anyway.

#229 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:10 PM

I got this from a dealer in Moscow.  Just fell in love with the artwork, it's an old Russian postcard:

attachicon.gif Russian Postcard.jpg

I will probably frame it for my office wall.  I'm going to research the original painting as time permits.

That looks like Sting at the eyepiece.

#230 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:14 PM

Until now you're the only one who got it right!

• Kasmos likes this

#231 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

Good thing my grandpa wasn't so picky, or I wouldn't be here.  :lol:

#232 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:58 PM

These were generously presented months ago for presentation here, and I must apologize for the delay.  They are from my good friend Edward, CN Catboat, and a cool testament to another time. 

The Apollo Commemorative Series match books.  Each features a shot of the crew on one side, the mission patch on the other.  One of them has portraits of each of the 3 US Presidents during the space race, that culminated in the Apollo lunar landings.  All of the ones I've opened have had blue sulphur tips and a black & white advertisement from RCA on the inside of the cover.  I'll see if I can figure out a way to take a pic of the advertsement.  According to Edward they came from the collection of his uncle. 

Please chime-in with more details if you read this post, Edward, and thank you for bringing these forward!  Next year is the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11.  I can't believe a half a century has gone-by already.  I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Matchbooks 003.jpg  Matchbooks 002.jpg

Matchbooks 001.jpg

• astro140, DreamWeaver, steve t and 5 others like this

#233 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Treehouse Observatory

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:25 PM

Those are awesome, Chuck!.
Oh boy, does that mean I can post some space race stamps, or 1920s German constellation collector cards?

#234 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:32 PM

Anything remotely astronomy or space related, and of the "classic" definition, is OK here Carol!

#235 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:51 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else here is into this, but I love some of the "Space Race" memorabilia from the U.S.S.R. They had a lot of it. They produced some really nice artwork. Lots of commemorative medals, postcards, table lamps, .... Tons of of it on eBay. Heck if you have $30,000-$40,000 laying around, you can buy and entire spacesuit. 

• steve t likes this

#236 catboat

catboat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:09 AM

These were generously presented months ago for presentation here, and I must apologize for the delay.  They are from my good friend Edward, CN Catboat, and a cool testament to another time. 

The Apollo Commemorative Series match books.  Each features a shot of the crew on one side, the mission patch on the other.  One of them has portraits of each of the 3 US Presidents during the space race, that culminated in the Apollo lunar landings.  All of the ones I've opened have had blue sulphur tips and a black & white advertisement from RCA on the inside of the cover.  I'll see if I can figure out a way to take a pic of the advertsement.  According to Edward they came from the collection of his uncle. 

Please chime-in with more details if you read this post, Edward, and thank you for bringing these forward!  Next year is the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11.  I can't believe a half a century has gone-by already.  I still remember it like it was yesterday.

attachicon.gif Matchbooks 003.jpg attachicon.gif Matchbooks 002.jpg

attachicon.gif Matchbooks 001.jpg

The Apollo Commemorative Matchbooks have landed!  

First-rate matchbook layout and presentation, Chuck.  This thread is where they belong, and they’re looking good!  I was happy to pass them on to you.

I wish I could add more about these matchbooks, but I don’t know anything about the origins. They came from my favorite uncle, who made a hobby of collecting things during his retirement.  He dabbled in bricks and barbed wire, but his real passion was hand tools, especially twist-handled wrenches.  He gathered a fine collection of those.  I remember him telling me about 1980, ''If you see one of these wrenches at a yard sale, buy it.  Pay whatever they’re asking.  Just get it!''  (''Okay,'' sez I, ''but how much should I pay?'')  ''The sky’s the limit! Anything up to 5 dollars.''

Somewhere along the line he picked up the matchbooks.  Great to see them on CN.  Great photos.  waytogo.gif

• Chuck Hards, TSSClay and Defenderslideguitar like this

#237 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:08 AM

It just struck me this morning how NASA matchbooks go perfectly with this thread title, lol.

Everyone comments on how you see neckties worn at observing sessions in pictures from the 60's.  What nobody remembers is that half of those folks were probably smoking, as well!

• terraclarke likes this

#238 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:04 AM

Everyone comments on how you see neckties worn at observing sessions in pictures from the 60's.  What nobody remembers is that half of those folks were probably smoking, as well!

What, just half? And don’t forget the liquor!! :lol:

(MadMen is my favorite TV show ever!)

LSMFT ;)

• Kasmos likes this

#239 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:16 AM

What, just half? And don’t forget the liquor!! lol.gif

I never do!  wink.gif

It is said that Milton Hummason had a huge pile of empty liquor bottles in the weeds outside the Mt. Wilson dome.  

• terraclarke and Kasmos like this

#240 Ken Launie

Ken Launie

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:55 AM

I never do!  wink.gif

It is said that Milton Hummason had a huge pile of empty liquor bottles in the weeds outside the Mt. Wilson dome.  

I think that if anyone had an excuse for having a drink or two, it was Humason. He wasn't trained in astronomy formally, having started as a mule driver bringing supplies up to build Mt Wilson. He quickly wound up on the staff doing maintenance and the like, and soon became a telescope operator, taking many many plates. He was interested in what was being done there astronomically, and was befriended by Harlow Shapley, then at Mt Wilson, who encouraged him to examine plates of M31 and other data to learn more. The Period-Luminosity law (now Leavitt's Law) had recently become known. (It relates a Cepheid variable star's period to its absolute magnitude and through the inverse square formula is the fundamental way that the size of the universe is known). After much work, he detected some Cepheids in M31, marked them on the glass plate, and showed them to Shapley. He scoffed and said that they were far too faint to be Cepheids, taking out his handkerchief to rub the marks out. "They'd have to be too far away, so they can't be Cepheids". Some years later, Hubble, working with and using plates taken by Humason, made the same discovery and became famous. Hubble was a pompous self-promoter who never gave any credit to anyone else if he could claim all of it for himself, so Humason's role in the data taking, analysis and interpretation went unheralded.

If Shapley had been willing to accept an unexpected discovery, the "Great Debate" between Shapley, who believed that everything out there was in the Milky Way and Heber Curtis, who thought there were separate galaxies, would have never taken place. Shapley, though a great astronomer, is forever known for being on the wrong side.

--Ken

• Mr Magoo, wfj, PaulEK and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics