•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Ashtrays

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#76 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

I have to wonder, how many of the surviving Palomar ashtrays are actually being used as ashtrays?

I picture one on a bar in a dark, smoke-filled VFW post or Moose Lodge, and nobody thinks it's anything but an ashtray...maybe a few peanut hulls sitting in there amongst the butts...a wad of chewed gum...

#77 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

Tom,
Maybe someone here on CN can provide some info "who and when"
your teapot was made, we know it was made in Japan, but thats all. :question:
Its a classic mystery..

#78 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

In "A Trip to the Moon", didn't the rocket land in the moon's eye? Maybe I'm remembering another film?

#79 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

It did, but for functionality of the teapot they probably moved the rocket/spout to the ear area :grin:

#80 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

That's one of the shelves in my office at work. The Johnny Lightning stuff is on the adjacent shelf, above my model RX-8 cars (and one RX-8 Transformer).

The 6 ashtrays from my eBay win arrived yesterday! I'll get a group photo of all 7, including the one I already had, tonight or tomorrow. Lucky 7, lol.

They are pristine. They obviously have never been used. My original one was actually used as an ashtray by the previous owner and I had to soak it in ammonia for half a day and take a nylon bristle brush to it to remove the residue (yuck, made the kitchen sink stink while soaking). My original has a nice patina of dust on it that I'm going to have to clean before any group photos are taken.

As I was unpacking them, my wife asked "what are you going to do with them?"

I replied, "Right now, just line 'em up and look at 'em!"

The price for all six was $5.99 plus $7.00 shipping. I was the only bidder, at 30 seconds to go in the auction. No other watchers. :grin:

Chuck, That`s one sweet deal on 6 of those ash trays :waytogo:
Are you going to post a pic ?

#81 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Wow, you guys have cool toys! My favorites are the robots, especially Robby from Forbidden Planet. Dave, your Moon teapot is so neat! Interesting man caves. :flower:

#82 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thanks! Terra :flower:, its really a lot of fun collecting space and astronomy related items, there`s a lot of cool stuff out there.
That cool teapot is Toms, but i`m sure that`s what ya meant.

#83 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Oh yeah, oops, thanks Dave. Sorry about that Tom. Love your teapot.

Terra :flower:

#84 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Well, this is the best I can do in this respect. When you move around a lot as I have, you can't hang on to a lot of stuff from childhood. I did manage a box of comics that I shared with my kids and will share with my grandson when he gets a bit older. Here's a few. You may recognize some.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6209460-detective comics.jpg

• Perseus_m45 and Ursa Minor like this

#85 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

She's got comic books. Let her in, boys. ;)
  • terraclarke likes this

#86 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thanks Chuck :)

Here's one more. From 1958. I got it free when my mom took us to get shoes.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6209494-BB goes to Mars-1958.jpg

• Perseus_m45 likes this

#87 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

That's totally cool, Terra! Tige wants a turn too.

Interesting mount, but the counterweight looks too small. ;)
  • terraclarke likes this

#88 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, California

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Well, this is the best I can do in this respect. When you move around a lot as I have, you can't hang on to a lot of stuff from childhood. I did manage a box of comics that I shared with my kids and will share with my grandson when he gets a bit older. Here's a few. You may recognize some.

Twilight Zone!! "… a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity."
  • terraclarke likes this

#89 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

The only comics I have left are a couple issues of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. Maybe one Dr. Atomic, if it didn't get filched by friends.

#90 choran

choran

Gemini

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

Oh, man, I loved comic books back in the 50s and early 60s. I remember my two favorite issues: One with Scrooge McDuck going to the moon--it had been revealed that it was made of gold, sort of the consistency of butter. Huge space race ensues, with a Texan on a rocket with steer horns and a saddle being one of Scrooge's competitors.

Other great issue was one where they go to Peru, seeking an ancient treasure of some sort, and encounter booby traps along the way. Sort of Indiana Jones sort of setting. That one may have been Mickey Mouse, come to think of it.

And, of course, I loved Betty of the Archie comics. I think guys liked her WAY better then Veronica--more down to earth. When I was 8 I sent in 50 cents and in return received an Archie "Press" button and a card certifying that I was henceforth a qualified Archie Cub Reporter, and invited to send in news items. I did so. I had a blurb about my parakeet published in one of the Annuals, on that page for such things. I literally received a $5.00 check and my mom had to cash it for me at the Safeway market. Oh yeah!!
  • terraclarke likes this

#91 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Those are Great! Terra :waytogo: Very Cool!
I think i have a few around here somewhere but i dont remember what they are exactly or how old they are, gona have to dig them out one day.
  • terraclarke likes this

#92 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Thanks Dave. Choran, I have a stack of Archie, Betty and Veronica, and Jughead comics. I loved those.

#93 choran

choran

Gemini

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Dave. Choran, I have a stack of Archie, Betty and Veronica, and Jughead comics. I loved those.

How lucky can a person get!? Comics AND cool telescopes?! I remember 'em like yesterday--Midge, Moose, Miss. Grundy, Mr. Lodge, Pop Tait's maltshop--Oh, man, what memories. They were only 10 cents when I was a kid.
  • terraclarke likes this

#94 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

Nice comics Terra. I remember reading Spiderman #1 sitting at the Soda fountain in my mom's drugstore after school one day. I put it back on the rack in disgust thinking: "well this story isnt going to amount to much." I didnt like spiders I guess. I still have the Tasco I had then, wish I'd have kept that funny book too.
  • terraclarke and Ford812 like this

#95 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

^ What, no space pod??? ;)

My Johnny Lightning set is currently in my office at work, next to my Robot Chicken Mad Doctor & Chicken action figures, and a few other toys. I used to have my Star Trek stuff there but the janitor took a fancy to it, so I brought it home to remove temptation.

No space pod, no idea why i never scarfed that one up also for $1.49 :lol:

#96 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

It arrived today!

I FINALLY got my hands on one of the actual 1939 New York World's Fair original editions of the Palomar Pyrex ashtray- WITH BOX.

It differs from the later versions in that, in addition to the text around the perimeter, it has an inner ring of text that says 1939 NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR.

I'll post pics of it, and it's original box, soon. Busy tonight, my turn to make dinner.

I ended up donating one of my other later editions to our local club as a prize for the raffle at our yearly Christmas party (one of the better prizes, IMO), but that still leaves me with seven, counting this new Holy Grail of Palomar ashtrays. :lol:

I will also probably sell a few of my others, so keep your eye on the CN classifieds or S&S. I'll just set a fixed price and keep them off of eBay, to give our CN family members first shot, for those who may be interested. It turns out that there are actually ashtray collectors trawling eBay, with no interest in astronomical history.

Stay tuned.

#97 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Awesome Chuck , Congrats !!! :waytogo: can't wait to see the pic's

#98 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Me 2.. :)

#99 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Besides my classic Palomar ashtray, here is my latest addition to my office. It is the cover from the Nov 1925 Scientific American painted by Howard Brown. It is showing solar observing taking place in the upstairs room of the Pink Club house at Stellafane using the Porter 75' Solar telescope. I got to use that system this past Summer at the Antique Telescope Society meeting on solar observing at the Hartness House.

Happy Holidays,
- Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• 6259983-sciamericancover2.JPG

• terraclarke likes this

#100 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

That`s really cool Dave, i love those old covers/paintings like that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics