•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another UK newbie saying Hi!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 synner

synner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2004 - 06:41 PM

Hi all,

Just thought I'd say hello to you all, after lurking for a while.

After looking everywhere possible for wisdom on what to get (including lots of great advice I read here), I've just upgraded my ETX-105 to a Vixen VC200L on a Losmandy GM-8 :-)

Now I just need some clear skies!

Cheers all

Nick

#2 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 16 February 2004 - 08:05 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! Hey, that's a nice upgrade. That should keep the clouds around for atleast 4 weeks!

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:05 AM

Hi Nick,

welcome to Cloudy Nights (literally if you've just upgraded your scope!) I've been surfing your website, it's been a great help to me because I've just got a Powerbook and was wondering what astro software I needed to get for it. You've helped me stop wondering - always a good thing. :grin:

Jason

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:39 AM

Hello Nick,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

Looking at your site and your scope your definately not a newbie :)

very nice site, and scope.

#5 michaeloconnell

michaeloconnell

Apollo

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:09 AM

Hi Nick. Very nice website you have. I really like your gallery. Sunspot images are excellent. Granulation is very clear. Make sure to let us know what you think of your new scope + mount after you've had a few observing sessions.

#6 synner

synner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:36 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm definitely what is classed as a newbie. I've only been doing this since last summer. I just learned real quick because I had the ETX goto helping. Now I've got the GM-8 without a Gemini, I'm going to have to do it the proper way :-)

Nick :D

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:31 PM

The great thing about goto scopes is that you don't have to use it, you can treat them like a basic motorised scope.

In all honesty I much prefer starhopping, just for the sense of acheivement when you have found your quarry, and for all the gems's that you can find on the way, but a motorised scope is essential in any sort of astroimaging, unless your a true hardnut :).

For the bespoke systems from Meade and Celestron it's more cost effective to buy the Goto scopes, than just the motorised versions.

I really do like the Goto scopes, yeah they can be a crutch if you want, but they can also be a powerful learning tool too.

It's a lot like a car with a manual gerabox versus one with an automatic gearbox, the auto might be easier to drive, but you still need to know how to drive :)

#8 synner

synner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2004 - 01:46 AM

So where do you put the key then? ;)

Nick

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:20 AM

:)

#10 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 February 2004 - 10:59 PM

Take care with that scope - it's left-hand drive... :grin:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics