•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

NexStar 130 GT: What is Power Cycle?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:53 PM

I finally got a power supply for my 130GT and have been trying to set up the Hand Controller. I have no problem entering my location, date and time. I set it up for the 114GT (130GT is not listed). After I've completed this part, the display shows "Power Cycle". I have no idea what this means and it doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

Anyone knows what this is about and what should be entered :confused:?

#2 Matthew E

Matthew E

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2004 - 08:30 PM

When it asks you to power cycle it basically means to unplug and replug the scope's power supply from the base, so the scope is powered off then on again Just so it can use your saved settings.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2004 - 08:44 PM

Matthew:

Thanks! Did you see that in the manual?

#4 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:26 PM

Patzee!

Have you had a chance to get your 130 out and about yet? I've had mine out every clear night since it arrived and I'm loving it! :grin: I tie-strapped the power supply to one of the center supports of the tripod. I also found that the power plug comes loose when you run the mount in azimuth and I came up with a poor man's solution - I tied the cord in a loose double knot around the fork by the plug - viola! :grin:
I've also found that I have an "old" hand controller that doesn't let you pick stars past "F" in a two star alignment. I've worked around that using the auto-align and pressing undo when it picks two stars very close together.

But that's picking nits. My 130 has performed flawlessly and I'm a VERY happy newbie! :grin: I hope you are, or will, have as much fun as I'm having! :grin:

#5 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:27 AM

Hi John,

Just so you know, Celestron is replacing that bad batch of hand controls - contact them at support@celestron.com. They don't have any in stock at the moment, but you should get on the list to be sure you get one when they do have them.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
http://www.NexStarSite.com

#6 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:39 AM

Mike Swanson,
I just received your book. GREAT resource! I have a question about what custom entry I need to make in the utility section to identify my scope. Are the numbers the same for the 130 as the 114?

Your book is essential reference that now goes out with the scope every time I take it out. Thanks for the link!

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:27 AM

Hi, John:

I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to drop by.

I'm glad you had a chance to use your 130. I've only been out for one hour since I got mine--the clouds just won't go away. I managed to just get a glimpse of Saturn's rings, but only as two lines running through the planet. Not much for most people, but incredibly exciting for me.

I have no idea about lenses and what to use to see anything. I suppose you've had a chance to experiment. Any tips on what lenses to use (I bought the special they were offering for a box of lenses)?

You just got your 130 and you have an old contoller? I haven't had a chance to use mine, so I don't know if I'm in the same predicament.

I saw the messages about bouncy decks. Now I know the cause of the shaking when I was on the deck looking at Saturn. I thought it was just the atmosphere :rainbow: The good news is I met my neighbor across the street and she has a concrete patio and offered to let me use it whenever I wanted -- as long as she could occasionaly share the view.

#8 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:50 PM

Patzee,
I'll start our own thread here so we can compare running notes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics