•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

New Scope is here. AS C8-SGT XLT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:47 AM

So is the rain and fog :(

Scope arrived extremely well packaged, no obvious courier damage.

Only problem I have is that the counterweight bar is missing, have already arranged a replacement with David Hinds, the supplier.

First Impressions.

Tripod, very very big, those 2 inch legs are massive :)
Nice finish to the stainless,no dints or dings,
Reset all the locking pegs on the tripod so they all face upwards when locked, would have been better if they all faced in wards, but it's nothing to worry about.

Apart from that the tripod is rock steady, the spreader plate/eyepeice holder is all metal, that really makes the tripod solid when installed. Plus all the locking nuts on the leg assembly are Nylock nuts, so no worries about them working loose.

EQ Mount, same again very well made, same black Hammerite finish, only thing loose was the polar scope ring,quick tighten up and it's fine. I will replace it with the Orion Polar Scope. Can't feel any slop or play in the mount when the clutches are loosened and it's rotated in DEC and RA.

Once mounted to the Tripod it's very stable, I have seen the earlier EQ4 qnd EQ5 mounts and they were always on the flimsy side, but this combo is great.

In fact I'd say it's the Goto mount at this price bracket, the only thing better would be a GM8 with Gemini or a Vixen GP-DX Polaris with Skysensor, but those two mounts are the price of the entire system.

The trip and EQ mount can be easily carried without the weights attached.

OTA.
It's bigger than I thought, slightly heavier too, it's the Aluminium one, again good quality and finish. The Finderscope and mount is pretty lame, will relace with a 9*50 and quickmount.

Actually there's two questions I have, the PDF manual on page 31 has a warning about loosening the mirror locking knobs on the rear cell of the telescope, but that page is missing in the paper manual I have.

It's not listed in the contents or the manual, plus I can't see any knobs on the back except for the focuser. Has this system been removed on this model, or am I missing something?

Another question I have is about the secondary mirror, the collimation screws are completetly covered by a plastic cover, is this removeable and if so how?

Will let you know how i get on.
Sorry for the long post. :)

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2004 - 10:35 AM

Congrats. Sorry about the weather.

#3 michaeloconnell

michaeloconnell

Apollo

Posted 17 February 2004 - 11:22 AM

Many congrats on your new scope. Unfortunately I can't help u with your questions but I would presume you can remove the plastic cover to reveal the collimination screws. Whether it snaps off or twists off, I don't know. May be best to wait until a celestron owner responds here to provide the necessary advice.
Hopefully the weather will be clear over the next few nights. The forecast is supposed to be good for the middle of the week and it's lovely and sunny where I am.
BTW, you don't have a dig camera by any chance? We'd be interested to see a few images of your scope if u can do that.
Again, many congrats and I'm sure it'll provide years of enjoyment.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2004 - 11:49 AM

Thanks,

Have already figured how to remove the plastic cap, It just needs gently levering off. (I used an old credit card) Have already ordered some collimation thumbscrews from Bob's Knob's.

One thing I did notice, is that the azimuth adjustment peg was between two tripod legs, rather than over a tripod leg.
Quickly remidied, but could lead to instability if not changed. (Thanks to Tony Bonnano for pointing this out)

Haven't got a digital camera, all mine are 35MM, am trying to borrow one though. :)

#5 synner

synner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:58 PM

Congratulations on the new scope Jason :grin:

So that'll be the weather in the north and the south messed up for a while then ;)

Nick

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:18 PM

LOL, The Irony.

Clear skies, relatively good seeing, perfectly dark rear garden.

OTA still in packaging because I didn't receive the counterweight bar :)

Not to worry, the stars will still be there tomorrow :)

#7 Terreb

Terreb

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:44 PM

Jason,
Congratulations on the new scope.
I did the same things with my 9.25....changed the adjustment peg on the tripod...could have been a problem when you tried to mount the OTA in the dark, and the tripod with counter weight falls over!
I also changed the locking pegs so that I could see all were tight (or loose), and not over-tightened, which could dent the inner legs.
There's no mirror locking knob, but do check the screws holding the focus knob to the rear cell...mine were loose and gave a sloppy feel to focusing..until I tightened them.
A useful accessory I recommend is the skylight filter/dust seal that will keep your OTA clean.
Great Seeing !!
:waytogo:

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the info about the locking knob, I ordered the skylight filter with the scope, an essential bit of kit IMHO.

Will check the screws on the focuser too.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2004 - 10:48 PM

Jason,
Congratulations on the new scope.
I did the same things with my 9.25....changed the adjustment peg on the tripod...could have been a problem when you tried to mount the OTA in the dark, and the tripod with counter weight falls over!
I also changed the locking pegs so that I could see all were tight (or loose), and not over-tightened, which could dent the inner legs.
There's no mirror locking knob, but do check the screws holding the focus knob to the rear cell...mine were loose and gave a sloppy feel to focusing..until I tightened them.
A useful accessory I recommend is the skylight filter/dust seal that will keep your OTA clean.
Great Seeing !!
:waytogo:

I also just bought the 9.25" and noticed that the peg is inbetween two legs and not centered over one leg like the pics in the manual. I've set my scope up numerous times now and have not noticed any balancing problems so far. How did you move the peg? Is this something that I need to do?

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:31 PM

hey angel~! have i missed some of your posts or have
you said what you have been seeing with that new scope~!?
sky

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:57 PM

hey angel~! have i missed some of your posts or have
you said what you have been seeing with that new scope~!?
sky

Hate to say it, but you haven't missed a thing Sky. I've had nothing but nasty weather here since I bought my scope and the few days where there were "prefect skies" there was lots of ice on the ground. I just checked the forcast for this coming week and it's supposed to be rainy / cloudy.
But I am optimistic that this can't last forever....
One day I will get to look through my scope....I'm just hoping that day comes SOON!

#12 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:04 AM

Spring is coming!!! And summer and fall are a great times to observe all night... Hey, I figure I have the rest of my life to look at the stars...I can spend my cloudy nights here!

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:07 AM

hi angel~! the weather here has been warm, cloudy, clear but winds~! and then snow for one day, back to 70 the next day....:lol: gotta luv that texas weather~! but i know what you mean.... lately, the clearest skies have been on nights that i am dead tired or have to get up very early the next day... i havent even tried out my new digital camera on astro pics.... hopefully, things will change~!!!! :jump:
sky

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics