•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

hardin 6" dob ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:27 PM

How do I pull the primary mirror out of the scope so that I may center spot it for collimation purposes. Once again it is a Hardin 6" reflector. Anyone have any ideas. :question:

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:41 PM

Hi, Shorty.

I haven't seen the Hardin but the norm is to have a group of four screws going through the tube wall into the edge of the mirror cell. They'll be an inch or two in from the bottom of the tube. Removing all four permits the removal of the cell and mirror assembly.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2004 - 10:31 PM

Tom,

My Hardin 8" has six screws attached to the outside of the tube which you undo. You could try standing the tube up and removing these screws so that the mirror cell doesn't fall out on anything. However, if your scope is anything like mine, the mirror cell was wedged in really tight. I used a hair dryer to heat and expand the tube. While it was still hot, I yanked the mirror out (after a few gentle taps with a mallet). Hopefully, you won't need to go through this.

Another tip is to wear latex gloves when center spotting the mirror. That way, if you accidentally touch the mirror you don't leave smudgy fingerprints.

Good luck!

#4 Harvest Moon

Harvest Moon

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:01 PM

I removed the screws then used my plastic level and a hammer to tap the mirror cell out of the tube. I broke my level using it as a buffer to put the mirror back in. Tom L used a rubber mallet.

#5 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:19 PM

Carolyn! You're not supposed to break the level!

#6 Harvest Moon

Harvest Moon

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 February 2004 - 10:25 PM

Cheap plastic level. I didn't have anything else to use that wouldn't chip the surface. It worked. I need a new level anyway, which is a good excuse to look at all of the tools that I don't know how to use but wish I did.

I can't afford to get into wood work.

#7 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 18 February 2004 - 10:51 PM

You think astronomy is expensive...go buy a power tool or 5!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics