•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The new Swarovski SLC 56's under the stars

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#126 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Ranger 4

Posted 02 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

Erik, your post #117 proved very accurate for me two nights ago, when I was out with the 10x56s for over an hour.  Calm winds, no moon, reasonably dark overhead for my area.  On a dark night, the 10x may not have a lot of reach, but the bright view presented by the large objectives makes it much easier to find faint, extended objects.  For example, I was able to find open clusters M103 and NGC 663 in Cassiopeia without difficulty.  I didn't want to stop using them, the only thing that made me come in was the cold.

Thank you all for your recent feedback, I think these SLC 10x56s have found a home.  watching.gif

• Erik Bakker, Man in a Tub and Stellarfire like this

#127 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

I’m really considering the 10x56.

I currently have the 8x50 SLC purchased 10 years ago. I never had it mounted. Only used for quick looks . My recent purchase of the AstroDevices p-mount has given these binos new life. They are the most comfortable, immersive binos I have tried. The new 10x56 looks like a real upgrade in a small package.

I have larger, more mag bino covered already, so nothing over 10x, or 56mm , required.

#128 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:34 AM

They are very nice and brighter than the older generation SLC 50's you have Ray.

Especially mounted, they will show you a lot.

#129 Codbear

Codbear

Apollo

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:57 PM

This thread played a large role in my decision to purchase the 15x56 SLC, and I wish to thank Erik and everyone who contributed to it.

With the first clear night last night since I received them last week, I finally had the chance to use them. In the short time I was able to hold them before my muscles gave out, I was deeply impressed with them...they are everything this thread has said they would be.

I knew because of my muscle disease that I would need to mount them, and I'm curious how other owners have done this.

Of course the parallelogram system is one method, but I'm also interested in tripods. I have a Manfrotto 161 with an additional swivel top attachment to the neck that I can attach the Swarovski adapter to (or the Outdoorsman Bino adapter someone else posted about), but I wondered if other users found that the tripod legs got in the way when the binos were pointed towards the zenith.

Perhaps there is something that we can rest our arms on that sits on our chest while we are in a zero gravity chair that would provide a stable platform?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Sam

• Stellarfire likes this

#130 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:45 AM

Sam,

Congratulations on your wonderful new 15x56's waytogo.gif  

Many options will work for mounting them. I have great experience in using my Zeiss FL 10x56 with the Gitzo 224 (with adjustable center column), Gitzo GHF2W fluid head and Zeiss Binofix combination. If you substitute the Zeiss Binofix for the Swarosvsi TAs-SLC tripod adapter for SLC tripod mount to attach your SLC's to your Manfrotto 161 tripod, you're set.

This combo is so solid, fluid and effortless, that you can point the SLC 15x56's in (almost) any direction, where they stay put. And solid enough to hold yourself onto if needed. To observe seated or standing. At times, I do that for hours and find my whole experience with the binoculars and universe is lifted to another level. Your Swarovski's and you are worth it to mount the SLC's well and enjoy them to the max!

Solidity combined with precise height adjustment is essential for a tripod to position the binoculars in a way that teams them up best with your eyes. You already have a superb tripod that fits the bill.

The Gitzo GFH2W fluid head works as if they were made for this size and weight class of binoculars. And the TAs-SLC tripod adapter from Swarovski is simply the best and most convenient way to connect these binoculars to a fluid head. This adapter and head combo will set you back around US $ 500, but well worth it for your intended use IME.

• ArsMachina likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics