•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
451 replies to this topic

#451 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

The finder looks like it was modified.  Originally they used a 0.965" 30mm or so eyepiece, so the 27mm Kellner binocular eyepiece should work great.

Dave

While I hope to eventually fully enjoy the views of my sandcast C8, and the tracking capabilities of its mount, at this point I am quite convinced that the ergonomics of viewing with this telescope do not mix too well with me. One of my difficulties is that due to its short and stubby shape I seem unable to point it close to where I want, and the nice-looking original Celestron 8x50 (? I do not have it here with me to verify the model) right angle finder with a 12.5 mm reticle eyepiece provides a field of view that seems to me too narrow compared to the typical 6x30 finders I normally use. Therefore I get frustrated at the amount of efforts it takes to center the telescope towards what I wish to see.

Among the many accessories I bought with this C8, I found a home-made (or small garage shop-made) conversion to illuminated reticle of a binocular eyepiece. A hole was drilled by the edge of the etched reticle glass, a light bulb and wiring rig was held in this hole by a brass-plated steel ring, and a 1.25" metal adapter was threaded to the eyepiece barrel. Has anyone seen similar conversions?

Comparing the view of this eyepiece with regular astronomy EPs, I would estimate a focal length of about 25-28mm. I have now converted it to a LED light (green diode salvaged from an old router), using for now just some hot glue to hold the light rig in place. If as I hope this binocular EP will make it easier to find the celestial objects I want, I may switch to a more permanent arrangement.

• DMala likes this

#452 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

I have that 25mm on the end, who makes that? It came with a turret I bought. Very nice eyepiece! Also love the short Celestron by Vixen like your 7mm. I have the 6mm. Wonderful eyepiece

-drl

It's a Tani.  Very nice eyepiece.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics