•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mogey 6" refractor mount update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

Here's apic of the Mogey mount I've restored/refurbished for the ongoing restoration of my 6"f/15 Mogey . I have found from the "Mogey Gurus" that there are only 4 of these known to be in existance and probably not many, if anymore that were ever built . I will be building the pier for it this week and hope to see light in a few weeks. Wayne

Attached Thumbnails

• 667329-DSCN5779 (Small).JPG

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:14 PM

Can't wait to see it all.

Keith

#3 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:47 PM

Do you have anything on the history of this mount? It looks like a beautiful piece of work!

#4 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

Yes , It is THE mount that came with the scope from Mogey and was built by Mogey in approx 1926,according to Peter Serrada,the MOGEY MAN. The tube also has the ORIGINAL brass finder scope and mounts ! I can't wait to get it all finished either. I won't do much beyond cleaning up the scope as I want to get it up and going while we have some good viewing this winter. Plenty of time in the summer to rub and burnish. This is a pic of the mount before I got started on it. Wayne

Attached Thumbnails

• 667610-DSCN5700 (Small).JPG

#5 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:29 PM

The mogey mount is sitting on its own pier and it won't be long till we see some light thru it. Wayne

Attached Thumbnails

• 684264-DSCN5787 (Small).JPG

#6 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:32 PM

How are you protecting the Brass parts from becoming green again?

Looks beautiful BTW...

Is it motorized? (if not, can it be adapted?)

#7 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:44 PM

It does have a drive on it and it will be restored also.As far as the green goes,if its properly cleaned and polished ,it won't turn green. The green cam from the years it sat in the basement at the college in storage.It has taken a lot of work to get it to this oint but I think it will be worth it in the long run. Thanks

#8 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

Good work, Wayne! It looks like a work of art displayed in your yard!

#9 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the compliments, but I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to keep part of our astronomy heritage alive . The tube will hopefully be on the mount this weekend and some eyeballs against the ep! Now I've got to come up with a decision as to how to keep it covered . It will be covered of course ,but maybe with a rolloff if we don't move.

#10 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:04 PM

Well, Its sitting in the rings !! I will put a better pic up tomorrow but was so excited to get it up this evening I just had to post this pic.. I also got a view of Venus about 4:30 - 5:00 ! I'm almost afraid to say anything ,but my first impression was ,BEAUTIFUL !! More later. Wayne

Attached Thumbnails

• 693552-DSCN5812 (Small).JPG

#11 John Jarosz

John Jarosz

Astro Gearhead

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:41 AM

Wayne,
What a beautiful piece of machinery.

Does that little counterweight really balance that tube?

john

#12 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:43 PM

Yep ! Unfortuhately ,back in 1946,the college sent the scope back to Mogey for a trade on a new 8" scope,and while there Mogey went bankrupt and somehow the tube came up missing the original objective! The college had Mr Earl Witherspoon,deceased,of Sumter SC build a new cell for the tube.I have since found out from Bob Ariail,a very noted restorer and historian ,that Mr Witherspoon was as good a optical fabricator as any .It was by his and Peter Serrado,"Mr Mogey " that we call it the Mogey/Witherspoon scope.I have found on my own investigation that Mr Witherspoon was reputed to be one of the best in his field,SO,I feel even more fortunate to have the works of both craftsmens in my possesion ! My initial view thru the optics are bearing out the facts above. The facts above explained why the counter weight was added years ago ,to counter the additional weight of the new glass and cell. It is balancing out very well. A 6" ,F-15 80 + year old piece of history in my own backyard,WOW,I feel so fortunate!! Wayne

#13 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 19 November 2005 - 01:56 PM

Wow! That's a beautiful scope and mount. You are very fortunate! Good work!

#14 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:24 PM

Howdy and a Happy Thanksgiving to you all ! I thought you might enjoy a picture of a couple that dropped in today for some grub worms . Red shouldered Hawks are sort of rare around our area ,especially a pair hunting in your back yard .I'm glad I had the Mogey uncovered so they coud stop for a bite. Wayne

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:13 PM

Our club is in the process of restoring a 6 1/2 " f/15 Mogey. Our mount doesn't look anything like the one you have. I wonder if our mount is custom made. Our scope is dated 1918 and appears in a catalog from that date but the mount is not too clear in the picture if my memory serves me well.

Roger

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:20 PM

How do you get in touch with Mr. Serrado? If you don't want to put his info here, please send me a PM. We had Bob Royce test our objective and he said it was one of the finest he has ever seen. And your scope looks great!!!! I wish I could have a look thru it!!!

Roger

#17 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

Do you have a picture of your scope and mount ? I will e-mail Peter Serrado and make sure its ok to give his info out. I am sure it is,but I respect others ,so I always check. Wayne

#18 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:19 PM

Wayne, What is the shaft diameter of your mount...weight of the ota? Looks like a good match...how's she handle?

#19 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:52 AM

FYI. My Sky & Telescopes go back to 1955. The Sky-Gazers Exchange regularly contained classified ads submitted by Earl Witherspoon. The Nov. 1955 issue, page 50, lists the following ad:

MOUNTED 5" and 6" refractor objectives of first quality, $220 and $325. 4" edged blanks, $15.00. Correspondence invited. Earl Witherspoon, Sumter, S.C.

#20 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:08 PM

Pat K ,the mount is the original cast iron mount that was built for the scope in approx 1926. It does not have solid steel shafts as most of the mounts are made today,they are integral cast iron shafts machined with the mounts ! The mount itself weighs about 85 lbs and the ota w/objective is another 85 lbs.. The mount handles it very well,I think,but being a refractor and EQ mount NEWBIE ,I would love to have someone take a look at it and critique it.I have a friend (Lightrap on C/N) that I will try to get over and check it out. Thanks for the interest. Wayne

#21 Wayne Parrish

Wayne Parrish

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:12 PM

Lew, Thanks so much for that info. I will pm you for some more info if you don't mind.I have been discussing this scope/mount with Mr.Bob Ariail ,from S.C. and he is another authority on Mr Witherspon as has commented as to the fine quality of his glasswork.Thanks again, Wayne

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics