•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Clusters and the like

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#26 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 21 February 2004 - 11:24 AM

Very nice, Geoffrey!

#27 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:42 PM

Geoffrey,
Great looking scope. I look forward to viewing reports from you.

#28 SAL

SAL

Vanguard

Posted 21 February 2004 - 10:55 PM

Geoffrey: Great looking scope! (Scott)

#29 geoffrey

geoffrey

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:23 PM

Hello all, especially Echo.

Just spent 1 hour viewing and freezing. Good viewing conditions. As a newbie, without a lot of knowledge, red torch and star chart, I do not know what to look for. WELL i do on the computer, but it's not the same outside.

1. Saw four seperate stars in Trapezium. Really pleased about that. I saw them friday with my clubs 14", but to be able to see them with my scope in my backyard was great.

2. M45 was great. Can get all 7 in the FOV and I had never seen so many other stars (anywhere for that matter)

3. Saturn was spectacular. Really clear and bright with the rings clear as could be. I "dragged my neighbour out", and he was ectatic. He had never seen the rings before.
All this was with my 25mm super plossl. Now for the really naff beginners bit. When I put the 9mm in, I was unable to find Saturn!!!!!! The scope moved a bit durung eyepiece change and that was that. What i might do, is try and get a diagonal for my finder, which should make life easier. The finder needs tweeking, it's good enough for the 25/40mm , but not the 9mm, as that only gives a .3 degree FOV. I get 1 degree with 25mm and 1.66 with the 40mm.

The moon "rushed" behind the house roofs before I could catch it. Might have to wait a week or so for that. pity.

So that's the best I can do for a first report.

Geoffrey

#30 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:33 PM

Geoffrey,
Thanks very much! Great report. How funny you think it a "pity" that the moon disappeared. I think it's a pity when it's up! Did you see any nebulosity in M45?

#31 geoffrey

geoffrey

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:44 PM

Good Evening (afternoon) Echo.
Fair comment, but it would have been nice to look at the moon with my new scope.
Yes, I did see some nebulosity in M45.

Going back to my clubs scope on friday, Jupiter looked stunning with the moons like jewels. Must by a 14" for the backyard (only joking)

Forgot to mention I saw venus - well you don't really need a scope for that.

Kind regards

Geoffrey

#32 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 22 February 2004 - 04:12 PM

Geoffrey,
Good report - M-45 is always great!!! It is by far my favorite open cluster. I also enjoy lunar observing, along with DSO's. They just don't work at the same time!!! :grin:

With your scope, you may be able to see the 5th or even the 6th star in the Trapesium from a dark site with high enough magnification.

Don't worry about losing Saturn during the EP swap. I have lost countless objects on countless occasions doing the same thing. It is part of the game.

Glad you dragged your neighbor out to see Saturn. That is the easiest way to create a new astronomer.

Congrats again on the scope Sir.

Scott

#33 geoffrey

geoffrey

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:07 PM

Thanks Scott.

Regards

Geoffrey

#34 geoffrey

geoffrey

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:17 PM

Following on from the other day, I managed to see the Moon tonight( sorry Echo ) I broke all the rules. The sky was clear, and I had to go to a meeting. As I said before, on my old scope I could not resolve the Moon with my 9mm EP, so I wanted a look at the first available moment.
So, I carried the scope out into about into the freezing yard. Lined it up on the Moon. Ran inside for my 25mm EP. Looked for 2 minutes. Great view.
Ran inside for the 9mm EP for another 2 minutes. I could not believe how good the view was with that at x133. I was "over the moon" Bright, clear, and could nearly "sail on the sea" whichever one it was!. Then took it all back into the house and left for the meeting.

1 minute to cool! 4 minutes viewing, and great views. (The tube is some kind of carbon fibre or composition. Not metal, but strong enough to be drilled etc. so that must have helped. Must be amazing when cooled properly.

So that's it folks, my new scope and I am really really pleased. I cannot believe the difference. So I will sign off and not bore you any more. Still,I waited until I was 61 to start this hobby, so please allow me a little excitement!!

Thanks again for all your help and comments.

Kind regards

Geoffrey

P.S. Echo, Have you any pictures of what your 10" LX200 can do please?

#35 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:28 PM

Geoffrey,
I have never taken any photos with my scope. I'll see if there are any nice photos on the web taken with a scope like mine.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics