•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3 inch edmund space conqueror

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Trinidad

Peter Trinidad

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

I just bought an Edmund 3 inch Space Conqueror (from around the 1960's). The telescope is beautiful, white tube, a nice wooden tripod, and a finderscope. It was well taken care of. The problem is that the eyepiece is so tiny it seems you are looking through a "pin hole". Although when you focus on tree branches from another house about half a block away, they come to a focus and are pretty detailed looking. You can even see birds on the branches clearly which I think it means it is good optically but the pinhole views are enough to discourage anyone from continuing on.

Can anyone tell me a little bit about this telescope if they have owned one in the past or have one? How can I improve the telescope to get good views of the moon? It is very easy to collimate with the round, wheel type of screws. Any suggestions or tips on how to improve this telescope would be appreciated. :confused:

Should I keep this telescope or just get rid of it?

Peter

#2 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

That was my first telescope in 1961. The eyepiece is probably the 1/2" Ramsden which came with the scope. It was 0.912", standard microscope size.

There is no need to "improve" this scope. It is what it is. And what it is is a classic.

I really recommend that the mods move this to the Classics forum. You will get lots more commentary that way. Don't crosspost--let the mods do it.

#3 A6Q6

A6Q6

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

Sometime in the summer of 1978 or 79 I showed a guy who went to school with my older sister and later became a good friend, my new Quantum 6 telescope. I had seen his Edmund 3 inch at his house about 5 years before, but never looked through it and he didn't have it with him at that time. Anyway, among all the stars in the sky, he showed me M57 using my Q6. It was like magic! That little Edmund was what allowed him to learn his way around the sky, and even though I'm pretty good at finding stuff today, I will never forget that first view of M57 meany years ago thanks to what he learned from using that 3" Edmund reflector. Yes you have a real Classic!

#4 SpaceConqueror3

SpaceConqueror3

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

That was my first telescope too (1973). I used mine quite heavily (and happily too) for several years without any modification. Unfortunately, mine disappeared sometime after I left for college. But a couple years ago, I found a 1973 Edmunds Catalog to reminisce. In there they describe the eyepiece only as 1/2" focal length Ramsden (60X). If I were you, I'd try to keep it's original form as much as possible and hopefully locate some other eyepiece that'll work with it without modification. The catalog also mentions accessory eyepieces available for it. Perhaps you can locate one of them (1" and 3/4" focal lengths, with the later being some kind of war surplus)

#5 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

Leave it stock and go conquer space with it!

Making a couple of good Plossls for it would be a snap.

#6 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:58 AM

My first scope also, 1969. It came with 1" (30x), 1/2" (60x) and 1/4"fl (100x) eyepieces.

I gave the scope to a friend in '75, but still have the eyepieces just because.

I learned a good deal with that scope. Nice views for $30.

#7 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

My first scope also, 1969. It came with 1" (30x), 1/2" (60x) and 1/4"fl (100x) eyepieces.

Actually, mine did too. But my favorite eyepiece in that scope was the 3/4" Symmetrical. It sold for $5.95 (20% of the cost of the scope) and I had to deliver LOTS of Life Magazines to save up for it.

#8 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

You might be able to find some other microscope eyepieces to give you a bit more latitude. Surplus shed and eBay have lots of microscope eyepieces including wide field varieties.

#9 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Peter,

I'll disagree with everybody. As per your final question I think you should just get rid of it. What a piece of sorry garbage. You should send it to me. I have the 4.25", the 6", and the 8" but not the 3".

No, wait. Yours is on a wood tripod? My set is all on the grey piers, each with clock drive. You should keep yours, it is honestly a classic.

No, wait. I have the Edmund 4.25" on a wood tripod also that could use a little sister. You want a big brother for your 3" scope? I will need to pass mine on after I finish all the Edmund grey projects. Maybe for the cost of shipping to a good home. Maybe to a regular from this forum that can give it some appreciation.

No, wait. I can't offer that here. We've kind of been through this sort of thing in the forum before. Maybe an under the table deal after I get done with the Palomar JRs.

No, wait. To heck with it, as long as they keep going out the door. Handfulls out an nothing in for months now.

It's in this picture somewhere, sorta.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6289456-butt 002.JPG

#10 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

This one has been up for sale on and off for about a month. Almost bought it since that was my first telescope in very early '60s. Now he has dropped the price another $10.

3" Space Conqueror

#11 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

You might be able to find some other microscope eyepieces to give you a bit more latitude. Surplus shed and eBay have lots of microscope eyepieces including wide field varieties.

Great suggestion, Terra. And Surplus Shed is running a sale right now. See my thread in the ATM forum to get the current discount code.

#12 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

This one has been up for sale on and off for about a month. Almost bought it since that was my first telescope in very early '60s. Now he has dropped the price another $10.

3" Space Conqueror

LOL@"Telescope needs some adjustments. "

#13 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

I built a telescope back in the day with the Edmund 3 inch F6 mirror and diagonal, the little Edmund spring-loaded mirror cell, an Edmund r&p focuser and a surplus binocular eyepiece. The tube was rolled sheetmetal that I spray-painted black in the inside. The whole thing only weighted a few pounds and could be hand held. It was wonderful on the Milky Way, etc. Anyone remember those old Edmund 3 inch F6 mirrors? Gee I wish I still had that scope. I gave it to my little brother years ago. I am sure its long gone by now, but I had so much summer fun with it way back then.

Now where did I put the "wayback machine? :question: :foreheadslap:

#14 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

I have 3 of those mirrors. :grin:

#15 Jim T

Jim T

Ranger 4

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Peter

I had the very same reaction. This scope needs a 1" plossl! I got my 3" SC at a garage sale for $15. It would be a lot more fun with a "finder" e.p. . IWIK someone who has used the microscope eps for this scope.

Hard to drop $15-20 or more on an ep. that you are not sure you'll be happy with, on a $15 scope that is mostly just for looking "at". I'm sure it will "fit" (.917), but not sure if a 10x Huygenian with a tiny pinhole of glass will do.

My original intent was to "save" the poor little scope and put it in the hands of a young wanna-be astronomer. Without a better low-power ep it is not friendly though.

Surplus Shed seems to be the best route for the price. Just hard to pull the trigger.

#16 Peter Trinidad

Peter Trinidad

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

Hi:

Mine is on a wooden tripod. It came with a small, what looks to be a microscope eyepiece which gives pinhole views of the heavens. I looked at Jupiter but was fuzzy. I tried an adapter which allows one to use 1.25 eyepieces with those Edmund telescopes (a friend of mine brought it over) and the views were like night and day. It improved the views by over 50% using 1.25 inch eyepieces. I would like to keep this little telescope for a while. Do you have any you are selling of these type of telescopes? I am kind of new to this hobby and am learning my way around.

Peter :question:

#17 Peter Trinidad

Peter Trinidad

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

How much would you ask for the Palomar Jr's or any other Edmund you may have.

Peter

ptrinidad1@satx.rr.com :)

#18 Peter Trinidad

Peter Trinidad

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

Hi:

I would like to give the Edmund 4.25 a good home.
Is this a good telescope also?

Peter :ooo:

ptrinidad1@satx.rr.com

#19 Peter Trinidad

Peter Trinidad

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for the tip. I would like to collect these little scopes. They are kind of cute.

Peter

ptrinidad1@satx.rr.com

:question:

#20 Peter Trinidad

Peter Trinidad

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

Hi:

New to this hobby. They are kind of cute scopes. If I had to have the mirror re-coated, what place would you recommend. Mirror looks sort of "discolored" with missing spots. Looked at Jupiter but looked very fuzzy.......barely able to see any detail. Friend of mine says it might need recoating and to get rid of the little "microscope" eyepiece.

Peter :)

:)

#21 Peter Trinidad

Peter Trinidad

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Tried an adapter which allows one to use 1.25 eyepieces and what a difference. I could see the bands on Jupiter and the 4 little moons around it. Like day and night. What a difference.

Peter :shocked:

#22 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

I've had mine when it was new in the late 1950's. It needs some minor restoration on the vinyl tube coating otherwise it will stay all original. Never sell it. Means more to me than any money that it would bring. ;) Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics