•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leica kool-aid...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

...I drank it. You may have noticed a recent ad at amart. Just...couldn't...resist.:rolling:

#2 ohioalfa64

ohioalfa64

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

It's refreshing in a 12.5" Dob. I mated mine to a BarAdv with spacers. Drink up!

#3 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

Congratulations! Now which eyepieces will your Leica replace? :thinking:

Mike

#4 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

...I drank it. You may have noticed a recent ad at amart. Just...couldn't...resist.:rolling:

Congrats! I predict that there will soon be yet another ad for used XWs. ;)

#5 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Yes, that is the usual course of this condition.

Mike

#6 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

Well maybe the 7mm, but only because I have the 6 and 8 delos. Right now I have quite a concentration of wide-fields at planetary lengths; for DSO the need for so many focal lengths is relaxed, perhaps. But the fact is that, rather than sell a bunch of eyepieces, I sold a nice 8-inch f/6 Zambuto-based tube dob. That may sound crazy, except that I have a nice 10-inch f/5 Zambuto-based dob. Likewise a 12.5-inch f/6. Thing is, I don't have that many eyepieces to begin with:

31T5 and 20T5 nags
14, 8, 6 Delos
10, 7, 5 XW
a couple of orthos
a couple of old Celestron Ultimas
24, 20, 16 ES 68s: you'll see a couple of these up for grabs shortly. I only need the 20mm to serve the ST-80 finder on my 18-inch.

So, you see, not much on the eyepiece front to give up.

What I'm hoping is that the leica will compare favorably to, say, a good-level ortho such as the tak abbes; if so, I'll put off my minimal glass quest for a while and it will be my all-inclusive planetary eyepiece system. And with, say, a 27 Pan (that would be my third 27 pan :crazy:), a complete minimal set. I might be willing to trade the 7XW for the pan down the road. But first I want to test the Leica against my XWs and Delos, and also against something like the Tak Abbes. But I don't see myself parting with my XW and Delos collection as a whole--they're just so nice on DSOs in my big dob. We'll see.

-george

#7 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

Well maybe the 7mm, but only because I have the 6 and 8 delos. Right now I have quite a concentration of wide-fields at planetary lengths; for DSO the need for so many focal lengths is relaxed, perhaps. But the fact is that, rather than sell a bunch of eyepieces, I sold a nice 8-inch f/6 Zambuto-based tube dob. That may sound crazy, except that I have a nice 10-inch f/5 Zambuto-based dob. Likewise a 12.5-inch f/6. Thing is, I don't have that many eyepieces to begin with:

31T5 and 20T5 nags
14, 8, 6 Delos
10, 7, 5 XW
a couple of orthos
24, 20, 16 ES 68s: you'll see a couple of these up for grabs shortly. I only need the 20mm to serve the ST-80 finder on my 18-inch.

What I'm hoping is that the leica will compare favorably to, say, a good-level ortho such as the tak abbes; if so, I'll put off my minimal glass quest for a while and it will be my all-inclusive planetary eyepiece system. And with, say, a 27 Pan (that would be my third 27 pan :crazy:), a complete minimal set. I might be willing to trade the 7XW for the pan down the road. But first I want to test the Leica against my XWs and Delos, and also against something like the Tak Abbes. But I don't see myself parting with my XW and Delos collection as a whole--they're just so nice on DSOs in my big dob. We'll see.

-george

Well firstly, Congratulations! :jump:

I saw that classified ad too, it came a month too late for me, what a steal!. As a long focus guy I would have sold off the Paracorr in a heartbeat to sweeten the deal.

Given the vagaries of weather and schedule, you may run your Leica through its paces before I can.

Looking at your eyepiece situation, your reasoning is sound. The dirty little secret is you can spend far more on simple glass than fat glass. I started with a couple of used Brandons. Went for the full set, which only served as a gateway drug to TMB's and SPL's. $5,000 later and I still have not gotten to the Zeiss Abbe Orthos! Avoid that road as long as you are able. ;)

Please keep up posted on your progress.

#8 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:38 AM

Well thanks everybody for the congratulations--Jeff, Mike, Doug, Ohioalfa64, and all the Leica gang out there whose many posts pushed me in this direction. :) I've got a feeling I won't regret the purchase, but even should the eyepiece fail to win my heart, I won't have lost much on it. It is a little amazing how one's thoughts and desires get tweaked by the raves from one's peers...

And thanks for the sound advice Jeff. I should have the piece in a couple of days, but we've finally got some clouds rolling in, so it may be a while before I can post my impressions. I'm sure I'll have something to say pretty soon.

#9 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:03 AM

Thing is, I don't have that many eyepieces to begin with:

31T5 and 20T5 nags
14, 8, 6 Delos
10, 7, 5 XW

a couple of orthos

That swathe of XW's and Delos is right in the sweet zone for replacement by the Leica. The focal lengths are covered by the Leica (helped by a Barlow at the lower end). The AFOV's are comparable to the Leica's. The performance on DSO and planet/lunar is at the level of the Leica's. Seems pretty obvious to me. Unless you just enjoy switching eyepieces. ;)

Mike

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

What I'm hoping is that the leica will compare favorably to, say, a good-level ortho such as the tak abbes; if so, I'll put off my minimal glass quest for a while and it will be my all-inclusive planetary eyepiece system.

I think the Leica does compare favorably to middle-tier orthos and such. That's why I've been selling my BGO's and Brandons. But the Leica is not at the level of top-tier planet/lunar eyepieces. I'm keeping the XO's.

However, remember that decent orthos are not just for planets anymore. I have no doubt that many orthos and simple glass eyepieces - depending on level of coating, polish, scatter control - will have superior light transmission for deep sky. It might be a good idea to keep them around for DSO, even if they are not any better than the Leica for planet/lunar.

Mike

#11 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

I want to remove the upper eyeguard and stick a DioptRx on the Leica ASPH Zoom. Is this possible?

Then I could sell all my other eyepieces... Well maybe not all. But a lot of 'em. I would just barlow the zoom for the lower focal lengths. But this is all crazy talk. Somebody has spiked the kool-aid!

#12 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Syed,

I'll have to get back to you on that. I haven't had a chance to check my Leica.

I don't use a DioptRX. I'm not even sure I have enough astigmatism for one to be worthwhile. Myopia and presbyopia are my problems.

I'm going to get new eyeglasses this year. I'll make sure to have them give me the prescription so I can find out if a DioptRX would do me any good, and which strength I'd need.

Mike

#13 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

Leica Kool-Aid, almost as tasty as Brandon Kool-Aid...Num Num Num! :grin:

Num Num!

#14 pga7602

pga7602

Viking 1

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

CONGRATS! I guess there is no need to look into the KOWA any further. :)

#15 Niels2011

Niels2011

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

I want to remove the upper eyeguard and stick a DioptRx on the Leica ASPH Zoom. Is this possible?

The eye-guard is easily removable, revealing a plain mental cylindrical top to the eyepiece, but I can't comment on whether the DioptRx would fit. Would a picture and measurement help?
Regards,
Niels

#16 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

The eye-guard is easily removable, revealing a plain mental cylindrical top to the eyepiece, but I can't comment on whether the DioptRx would fit. Would a picture and measurement help?
Regards,
Niels

That would be great, but I just thought of one potential huge limiting factor with my idea that I had not thought of previously... When you dial the zoom, does the entire upper assembly rotate? If so, using the zoom with the DioptRx would be very inconvenient as the DioptRx itself has to be dialed in at the exact correct angle (+/- a few degrees) to fully correct astigmatism. If the DioptRx angle changes as the zoom changes, well, you can see how that can be an exercise in futility!

If that's not the case, then a picture and measurement would be appreciated. :grin:

#17 Niels2011

Niels2011

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

Regards,
Niels

That would be great, but I just thought of one potential huge limiting factor with my idea that I had not thought of previously... When you dial the zoom, does the entire upper assembly rotate? If so, using the zoom with the DioptRx would be very inconvenient as the DioptRx itself has to be dialed in at the exact correct angle (+/- a few degrees) to fully correct astigmatism. If the DioptRx angle changes as the zoom changes, well, you can see how that can be an exercise in futility!

If that's not the case, then a picture and measurement would be appreciated. :grin:

That wouldn't be a problem, it doesn't rotate. :grin: I'll take a photo and measurement later.
Regards
Niels

#18 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

However, remember that decent orthos are not just for planets anymore. I have no doubt that many orthos and simple glass eyepieces - depending on level of coating, polish, scatter control - will have superior light transmission for deep sky. It might be a good idea to keep them around for DSO, even if they are not any better than the Leica for planet/lunar.

Mike

Indeed. This will be heresy to the Space Walkers, but I've been having great success on planetary nebula and small open clusters with my TMB's and SPL's. Not recommended for M7 and the like, but beyond those few there is no shortage of small targets out there.

#19 Niels2011

Niels2011

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hi Syed,
Here is a picture without the eyecup. The exposed cylinder has a 50mm diameter. The eyecup comes off by twisting up as far as it goes, then you twist back a little and feel/find the vertical grooves which allow it to come off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6298272-image.jpg

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

Indeed. This will be heresy to the Space Walkers, but I've been having great success on planetary nebula and small open clusters with my TMB's and SPL's. Not recommended for M7 and the like, but beyond those few there is no shortage of small targets out there.

There are a lot more small targets than big ones. :ubetcha:

Mike

#21 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hi Syed,
Here is a picture without the eyecup. The exposed cylinder has a 50mm diameter. The eyecup comes off by twisting up as far as it goes, then you twist back a little and feel/find the vertical grooves which allow it to come off.

Thanks Niels! Well, it was a nice dream while it lasted, but 50mm is larger than the DioptRx will allow (max ~43-44mm based on my measurements).

#22 Niels2011

Niels2011

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

Hi Syed,

Thanks Niels! Well, it was a nice dream while it lasted, but 50mm is larger than the DioptRx will allow (max ~43-44mm based on my measurements).

Ah, sorry to hear that!
Regards
Niels

#23 andydj5xp

andydj5xp

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

Hi Syed,

If you look at the top of the Leica ASPH zoom (see here ) it might be possible to insert the Dioptrix into the soft rubber eye guard (inner diameter about 43mm).

Andreas

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics