•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SHOW US YOUR DOBSONIAN! ****

• Please log in to reply
996 replies to this topic

#976 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:00 AM

Wow, that’s about as compact as it gets!  What are the views like?

As good as any 14-incher I've ever seen. Galileo Regio on Ganymede is visible, Io transit tonight was amazing, NEOWISE was amazing. Super wide field (1.7 degrees w/21mm Ethos) is great too

• Lewis Cason, jim kuhns, Hugh Peck and 1 other like this

#977 Sketcher

Sketcher

Apollo

• Loc: Under Earth's Sky

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:15 AM

Yesterday I must have gotten somewhat bored.  I decided to take out a telescope that's been safely stored for a number of years.

"Splinter" is an old 10-inch Newtonian that's been built and re-built a few times.  Its last re-build was for comet-hunting (before the automated programs took over).

Splinter is designed to perform (and balance) with or without a 5-inch refractor mounted on it.  The idea was to sweep for comets at 30x with the 5-inch.  Then, when a suspect was encountered, I would take a quick look in the 10-inch at 100x, and more often than not, it was possible to instantly tell whether the suspect was a comet or not.  This arrangement largely eliminated the need to access charts while comet-hunting.  It also eliminated the need to swap in and out different eyepieces.

Splinter's altitude trunnions are off-set toward the refrator's mounting rings to better accommodate balance issues.  Note also the two racks at each end of the OTA -- for the addition of small lead weights -- for better balance in certain configurations and altitudes.

Note how far the solid tube extends forward of the Newtonian's eyepiece.  Splinter was designed to remain operational under rather severe dew or (more often for my area) frost conditions .  Splinter has been used even when the entire OTA was covered with a thick layer of frost.  Speaking of which -- note also the home-made (but very effective) dew-shield on the Telrad.

Not shown is the 50mm RACI finder that use to be mounted on the side of the OTA, between the Telrad and the Newtonian eyepiece.  That finder and its ring mount were removed for use on a different telescope.  Splinter has not been used in several years.  It went out yesterday for a photo session before being returned to it's protective storage environment.

Splinter August 10 2020 Sketcher

Splinter And Excalibur August 10 2020 Sketcher

So, there you have it.  Sketcher, who tends to focus almost exclusively on what can be accomplished with small refractors -- actually does have larger telescopes!  They just don't come out to play very often smile.gif

• paul, cuzimthedad, ctcables and 10 others like this

#978 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:55 AM

Yesterday I must have gotten somewhat bored.  I decided to take out a telescope that's been safely stored for a number of years.

"Splinter" is an old 10-inch Newtonian that's been built and re-built a few times.  Its last re-build was for comet-hunting (before the automated programs took over).

Splinter is designed to perform (and balance) with or without a 5-inch refractor mounted on it.  The idea was to sweep for comets at 30x with the 5-inch.  Then, when a suspect was encountered, I would take a quick look in the 10-inch at 100x, and more often than not, it was possible to instantly tell whether the suspect was a comet or not.  This arrangement largely eliminated the need to access charts while comet-hunting.  It also eliminated the need to swap in and out different eyepieces.

Splinter's altitude trunnions are off-set toward the refrator's mounting rings to better accommodate balance issues.  Note also the two racks at each end of the OTA -- for the addition of small lead weights -- for better balance in certain configurations and altitudes.

Note how far the solid tube extends forward of the Newtonian's eyepiece.  Splinter was designed to remain operational under rather severe dew or (more often for my area) frost conditions .  Splinter has been used even when the entire OTA was covered with a thick layer of frost.  Speaking of which -- note also the home-made (but very effective) dew-shield on the Telrad.

Not shown is the 50mm RACI finder that use to be mounted on the side of the OTA, between the Telrad and the Newtonian eyepiece.  That finder and its ring mount were removed for use on a different telescope.  Splinter has not been used in several years.  It went out yesterday for a photo session before being returned to it's protective storage environment.

So, there you have it.  Sketcher, who tends to focus almost exclusively on what can be accomplished with small refractors -- actually does have larger telescopes!  They just don't come out to play very often smile.gif

Very "rustic" looking and seems to fit your location quite well!

#979 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

• Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:17 PM

<p>This is Betty Lou...</p>

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200812_121652.jpg

#980 Chris Westland

Chris Westland

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 August 2020 - 08:38 PM

HubbleOptics UL/14 f4.6.  SkyHub DSC with Bluetooth link to SkySafari 6 Pro on Samsung S4 tablet.  Bearing mods to gain control, smoothness and 'sticktion'.  In it's current form, structure performance is comparable to my Obsession Classic 20" at about 1/3rd the weight.  Optically, the mirror is great; but it's a 14".  Breaks down for easy transport in a sub-compact car.  Structure holds collimation between assemblies, and I have no complaints.

ts1a.jpg

• cuzimthedad, mattyfatz, jim kuhns and 8 others like this

#981 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 22 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

Hi everyone. This thread has gone through a clean up to remove posts with expired links to sites or pictures, and comments related to same so that it will be more pleasurable to scan through.

• paul, osbourne one-nil, mattyfatz and 4 others like this

#982 mikee1

mikee1

Sputnik

• Loc: Southern Ca.

Posted 23 August 2020 - 11:03 AM

Thank you Cuzimthedad!

• cuzimthedad likes this

#983 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 23 August 2020 - 11:36 AM

HubbleOptics UL/14 f4.6.  SkyHub DSC with Bluetooth link to SkySafari 6 Pro on Samsung S4 tablet.  Bearing mods to gain control, smoothness and 'sticktion'.  In it's current form, structure performance is comparable to my Obsession Classic 20" at about 1/3rd the weight.  Optically, the mirror is great; but it's a 14".  Breaks down for easy transport in a sub-compact car.  Structure holds collimation between assemblies, and I have no complaints.

ts1a.jpg

I was thinking about HO dobs before but some people have complains about it, here in this site, so i avoided, now your post sounds like a positive feedback/review about it, and i want to get also 14" exactly, the one i am planning is Skywatcher Flextube, but i can think again about this Hubble Optics if i will really have no issues for overall of the scope.

• mattyfatz, Neptune and Chris Westland like this

#984 Chris Westland

Chris Westland

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:39 AM

I was thinking about HO dobs before but some people have complains about it, here in this site, so i avoided, now your post sounds like a positive feedback/review about it, and i want to get also 14" exactly, the one i am planning is Skywatcher Flextube, but i can think again about this Hubble Optics if i will really have no issues for overall of the scope.

Some of the complaining might be avoided if Tong Liu (the CEO of HO) were more responsive to inquiries.  Otherwise a lot of it seems to me to be unnecessary fussiness. There are two things that people complain about: (1) the 'bump' in the altitude bearing, and (2) lack of 'sticktion' on the azimuth bearing.  The bump can be mildly annoying (IMHO) but you only feel it when the scope elevation is low, where seeing is typically awful.  You can always fill this in with a 'V' shaped piece of wood if you don't want to fold the altitude bearing (which I never do).  My az bearing is 'fixed' with a couple of robotic wheels that stabilize the motion.   It does lack the heft of my Classic Obsession 20, but that's what you get with any of the ultra-light dobs (including Dave Kriege's).   From a design standpoint, nobody has as nice a structural design as HO.  There is metal only where it is needed for support, yielding an elegant scope that holds collimation well, and has only minimal vibration.   The choice of material (6063-T6 Aluminum Alloy) is optimal.

Edited by Chris Westland, 24 August 2020 - 09:42 AM.

• mattyfatz likes this

#985 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:43 AM

Some of the complaining might be avoided if Tong Liu (the CEO of HO) were more responsive to inquiries.  Otherwise a lot of it seems to me to be unnecessary fussiness. There are two things that people complain about: (1) the 'bump' in the altitude bearing, and (2) lack of 'sticktion' on the azimuth bearing.  The bump can be annoying but not much (IMHO).  You can always fill this in with a 'V' shaped piece of wood if you don't want to fold the altitude bearing (which I never do).  My az bearing is 'fixed' with a couple of robotic wheels that stabilize the motion.   It does lack the heft of my Classic Obsession 20, but that's what you get with any of the ultra-light dobs (including Dave Kriege's).   From a design standpoint, nobody has as nice a structural design as HO.  There is metal only where it is needed for support, yielding an elegant scope that holds collimation well, and has only minimal vibration.   The choice of material (6063-T6 Aluminum Alloy) is optimal.

Sounds like if those two things aren't sorted out by the manufacturer first then not anyone will do it by themselves, i can't tell if i will do really, and for the price i feel i can get another one of the same or even less price and be as good or even better, i mean the design look alone will not make to decide on it completely, i do like the design for sure, but i don't want that to bring me another issues that i ignored/passed before i order it.

#986 Darren

Darren

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 44N, 79W (Newmarket, Ont., Canada)

Posted 24 August 2020 - 01:18 PM

My stock 10" F/4.7 Orion XTi, Micawber.

Successor to Heep, 'umble 4.5" F/9 reflector on rickety EQ-1 mount.

Much respect to John Dobson, who opened the skies to so many.

Attached Thumbnails

• Scope.PNG

• B. Hebert, mattyfatz, Lewis Cason and 4 others like this

#987 Chris Westland

Chris Westland

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 August 2020 - 02:37 PM

Sounds like if those two things aren't sorted out by the manufacturer first then not anyone will do it by themselves, i can't tell if i will do really, and for the price i feel i can get another one of the same or even less price and be as good or even better, i mean the design look alone will not make to decide on it completely, i do like the design for sure, but i don't want that to bring me another issues that i ignored/passed before i order it.

Comparable scopes are 2-3 times the price of the HO's (e.g., check out https://www.obsessio.../15UC/index.php which is nearly 3 times the price / 2 times the weight, for similar specs).  I have no problems with aftermarket mods; I'd do this anyway.  But the biggest thing for me is the weight.  Because of the sandwich mirror and structurally elegant frame, no one else even comes close to the portability of HO.

• Kunama and BradFran like this

#988 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 26 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

Comparable scopes are 2-3 times the price of the HO's (e.g., check out https://www.obsessio.../15UC/index.php which is nearly 3 times the price / 2 times the weight, for similar specs).  I have no problems with aftermarket mods; I'd do this anyway.  But the biggest thing for me is the weight.  Because of the sandwich mirror and structurally elegant frame, no one else even comes close to the portability of HO.

True, that is something they can keep working and promoting about, because price wise they are almost reasonable really, and as weight they are the best, but maybe about quality or performance sounds they aren't on top, so it is like anything, pros and cons.

#989 Chris Westland

Chris Westland

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 August 2020 - 03:45 PM

True, that is something they can keep working and promoting about, because price wise they are almost reasonable really, and as weight they are the best, but maybe about quality or performance sounds they aren't on top, so it is like anything, pros and cons.

Quality and performance are quite good IMO; HO has made design decisions to reduce size and weight.  My point is that these two items are always going to represent a design trade-off.  If you really can't live with them, the alternative is a 150 lb 14" dob that needs a trailer for transport. 

#990 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 28 August 2020 - 03:57 PM

Quality and performance are quite good IMO; HO has made design decisions to reduce size and weight.  My point is that these two items are always going to represent a design trade-off.  If you really can't live with them, the alternative is a 150 lb 14" dob that needs a trailer for transport. 

Ok, fair enough, thank you.

• mattyfatz likes this

#991 timothystraub

timothystraub

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Prosser, Washington USA

Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:31 AM

I had my Orion 14" rebuilt by Dennis Steele (DobStuff) late 2018.  I did the Easy Transport Telescope Option, and Sky Commander.  

I could not be happier!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0478.jpeg
  • IMG_6270.jpeg

• cuzimthedad, ctcables, mattyfatz and 7 others like this

#992 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:35 PM

13.1" Coulter Odyssey, my new outreach scope (and soon to be only third-largest)

IMG_6603s.jpg

• paul, cuzimthedad, izar187 and 9 others like this

#993 StilettosNSpace

StilettosNSpace

Lift Off

• **---
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:33 AM

Me and my 28 inch f/5, trademarked SkyClops. I also have a 12 inch f/5 Meade lightbridge.

http://www.stellarex...nomy-equipment/
  • mattyfatz, jim kuhns, junomike and 8 others like this

#994 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:07 AM

Ohh I drool over all these BIG GUNS ... Hoping (dreaming if u won't) to get one of these AND a wide field fractor

#995 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bala Cynwyd, PA, USA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:06 AM

An homage to good telescopes gone or soon to be, and an introduction of a new arrival.

Celestron Starhopper 6" f/8, for sale currently.
50348923446_27f364f618_k.jpg

50349083032_87e4f7350b_k.jpg

Son checking out Jupiter

50348923571_21e8e5647a_h.jpg

Orion XT8, sold recently

50349083177_0d7d6ce61a_k.jpg

50348227468_4b54df75e0_k.jpg

Why sell? Well... I was planning to find a nicer 8", so the Orion left, and now that I have a nicer 8" I have ruled the 6" redundant.  It always kind of was, but I'm in a consolidation mood.  Now both of my full size dobs that I plan to keep can take 2" EPs, The set of Orion Expanse eyepieces in the pics can be kept full time with my Starblast 6 and XT4.5, or used for outreach when the virus subsides.  I will probably sell off one of the table tops too, but that's not in stone.

Speaking of the nicer 8", I haven't taken any pics since I got it home and cleaned off the external dust (always had a cap on everything so it's clean in the tube/mirror), but here's one from the ad.  I'm using my Celestron Starpointer Pro I had on the 6" on the 8".  The win of this deal is it kind of completed the set of eyepieces I wanted, as it included a 82* Explore Scientific 6.7mm and a $50 gift cert to a local astronomy store.  Pretty happy with it on all levels.  The new to me Skywatcher did well on Mars last night even with the California wildfire smoke blocking out a lot of the light.

50349082677_03929a6ff9_h.jpg

And of course, hard to not include your favorite Dob in a picture post.  Here's my son looking at Neowise if memory serves me.  I know, flash photography while doing astronomy... there were passing cars or street lights in all of these situations, so not much worse to grab a pic for the family album.

50348945816_9d47f375cb_h.jpg

Edited by BlueTrane2028, 16 September 2020 - 10:09 AM.

• Lewis Cason, sopticals and Kunama like this

#996 ALman

ALman

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Christchurch NZ

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:58 PM

6 inch standing Dob. I did not build this. However I did restore it after the previous owner had left it in his shed for 20 years. New primary mirror, new focuser, laser sight. New paint. Great for outreach and easy viewing from the yard.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200921_165741.jpg

• jim kuhns, Allanbarth1 and Woj2007 like this

#997 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted Yesterday, 10:48 AM

My ATM 10" f/6 Dob out the other night. It was a joy to build and is a joy to use. During the lockdown I was able to focus my time on the fan system. Works well, but I am still tweaking things. Currently using 3 80mm, 1 on the rear side and 2 as boundary layer scrubs. I may need a larger fan on the rear or multiple. Just hoping for some good seeing as the Mars opposition approaches. The EP in the focuser is an ES30mm 82*. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 120063427_328253675175042_4399499064112404849_n.jpg

• cuzimthedad, jim kuhns, Augustus and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics